Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#57018 02/16/02 05:17 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ginko biloba: The maidenhair tree. Loveliest leaves on earth--fans and fishtails and maidenhair, too--all these three moving the wind or the water or a receptive, heaving chest. Ah, it's good to think on the Ginko!

Best regards,
WordWonderer
PS: I do like off-rhymes!!! Throw off those chains of exactness! What a bore! What a bloody bore!

#57019 02/16/02 07:22 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Major Charles Emerson Winchester III (played by actor David Ogden Stiers) had a "Boston Brahmin" accent and Stiers had it down pretty well. Even the OED says that a brahmin is "a highly cultured or aloof person especially a member of the upper classes of Boston, Massachusetts, USA."
What most consider a Boston accent is softer. For instance a Bostonian says gen'lemen where a Brahmin says gentleMEN a la Major Winchester.
I have never heard a regular Boston accent imitated well by any actor who was not born into it.
I cringe every time Cliff the Mailman says Bahstun on "Cheers."

No help at all wot?

#57020 02/17/02 01:03 PM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
February: Fowler (1926) doesn't give a pronunciation, which suggests there was no question mark over it then. Old OED (using its own phonetic symbols which could sometimes impede ready understanding) gives only one pronunciation, with unstressed -ua-, but it's not clear to me whether they mean it one diphthong or two syllables, the second a neutral vowel. Modern Chambers (which has a Scottish influence) gives it as four syllables, with unstressed short -oo-a-.

I was trying to work out my own pronunciation the other day. I think Febr-a-ri with the natural tendency to slur it to Feb-ri (as it has a neutral vowel before a continuant).

I can't tell from this whether a generation earlier than OED and Fowler would have regularly said it with the full -air- vowel.

Compare a word in a similar but not identical situation: military. OED and Chambers make it four syllables, without alternative, the -a- being neutral; and Fowler doesn't mention it or have anything about the -tary ending, which suggests the modern British pronunciation as three syllables is recent. But in the US it's given the full -air- vowel, isn't it? So (if so) is this lengthening a new development in the US, or is it the original pronunciation everywhere, and in Britain -air- dropped to -a- then has now disappeared?

Going back several hundred years I think it would have been a long vowel pronounced in full.

#57021 02/17/02 01:54 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
military ... suggests the modern British pronunciation as three syllables is recent.

Coincidentally, Pirates of Penzance is again on point:

For my mil-i-ta-ry knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century.
But still in matters vegetable, animal and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major General!

#57022 02/17/02 01:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There's probably four or five *major Boston accents with subdivisions of each one. You have some that are primarily regional and some that are ethnic, but the difference between regional and ethnic can be hard to pin down since the different ethnic groups tend to clump together in different regions. It's been years since I've lived there but I would think that Cliff's accent was sort of a Southie accent.

Then there was the time I was at a play that had a character who was supposed to be southern. the actor's accent was an OK generic "southern for the yankee audience" accent but it kept slipping up to a Down East accent in the middle of a sentence. Rather disconcerting, really.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 580 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith