Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#55210 02/04/02 02:29 PM
R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I just got to see this message on my local rag website. Thought a lot of the ecologically-minded would like to share in the good news.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2002/0204/breaking36.htm

I like all of the points made but the second point stands out as a fine example. Now, if only the rest of the world would follow suit....sigh [emoticon of hopefulness but dire resignation that such a dream will be unfulfilled in my lifetime]

Now we really are a Green Isle!!!

#55211 02/04/02 02:58 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
wtg, Emeralds! meanwhile, the dozy ~~~~~ running UK energy policies have just sneaked out a weasel-worded report that opens the door to another 12 nuclear dustbins being sited in Wales just across the water from your green and pleasant land... [sickasaparrot]

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
the Irish lead the way again! would love to go back again. It's a great spot to visit for a woman alone ... no language problem and friendly folks everywhere!
Have one for me in celebration!

#55213 02/04/02 03:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
meanwhile, the dozy ~~~~~ running UK energy policies have just sneaked out a weasel-worded report that opens the door to another 12 nuclear dustbins being sited in Wales just across the water from your green and pleasant land...

Well, maybe. But I've been hearing reports that the same report has basically slagged any chance of further usage of nuclear plants because of the requirement that the builders/owners would also have to pay for dismantling and disposal at the end of play. Please ignore those new holes in Wales which are the exact size of foundations for reactor cores ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#55214 02/04/02 04:49 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
would also have to pay for dismantling and disposal at the end of play

yeahbut®

I bet there will be a similar sized hole in their accounts when we get there - "EnronNuclear Power".

It took us *years to get the filth of Trawsfynnedd closed down... Get ready to start screaming good and loud, Ireland - you won't find the politicians such a push-over as the Welsh pack this weekend

#55215 02/05/02 03:54 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Mav, didn't Wales get some kind of autonomy and local govt (or was that Scotland only) lately? Will they be the bird that fouls its own nest, or can they blame it on Westminster?

#55216 02/05/02 08:20 AM
old hand
old hand
I applaud the announcement and am pleased to see that Ireland is following Western Australia on this - well perhaps I am overstating it a bit, but a bloody great windfarm WAS opened outside of Albany last year.

I am concerned however that "clean and green" has been seen as an antonym to nuclear power - especially seeing nuclear power wasn't mentioned in the announcement.

Having roused the sleeping AWAD dragon, I will press on....all I ask is that emotions do not replace scientific fact in the hullaballoo that is no doubt about to erupt around here.

Some things to think about:

(1) Fossil fuel power stations emit more radiation throughout their life than a comparable nuclear power station. Even worse, the emissions from fossil fuel fired power stations are subject to less control than those of nuclear power stations - they are indisciminantly released to the atmosphere. If it's a new, very green, plant then a lot of effort is put into trapping the fly ash - particles of which are the subject of my concern. Good. But what happens to the ash? Oh, it's used for house bricks, road base etc etc.

(2) The gamma ray radiation (from pottasium, thorium & uranium) and radioactive gases (radon) given off by the groundrock in many places of the world far exceed that released by the local nuclear power station. Again, these natural releases are indiscriminate. Typical examples are Edinburgh (all that lovely granite), Sydney (those black shales that decompose to make such fine market garden soils) and the hilly suburbs of Perth (granitoids again).

(3) The energy required to produce a solar cell is greater than the energy that it will output throughout its life.

In stales' opinion...

Wind power? Excellent.

Tidal power? Fantastic.

Hydrothermal power? Yep - good stuff (onya Kiwi's)

Hydroelectric schemes? Good - but pity about all the riverine ecosystems that get buggered up. (And in Australia's case, the salinisation of the lands that use now use the available water for irrigation).

Nuclear power? Hmmm - well, if you must - after all, it is the most efficient.

Fossil fuel for power stations? Bring on the 2 headed babies.

Post Edit: Should be fair and separate gas turbines from coal and dieasel fired power stations. They are very clean, but still produce vast quantities of ozone depleting gases such as carbon dioxide.

stales

#55217 02/05/02 03:13 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
stales, what's the difference between hydrothermal and hydroelectric? I figured they were both produced by dams.

#55218 02/05/02 03:19 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Hydrothermal relies on abstracting heat from the earth's mantle by means of tapping into aquifers - viz, the whole of Iceland!

edit: see this for a good basic guide:

http://www.eren.doe.gov/geothermal/whatisgeoenergy.html

#55219 02/05/02 03:40 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear stales: Windfarms sound great, but I saw an article that in many areas, even small bug smears reduce efficiency almost thirty percent. And new one in UK promptly was put out of action by blade fracture, I'll bet from hitting a bird. Elsewhere windfarms kill many birds. And I haven't seen any discussion of problems with blade icing in cold weather, which destroyed early MIT unit on Mt.Washington many years ago.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith