About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The current Smithsonian has a marvelous feature article about the Tasmanian devil, its habits, how it got its name, etc. Here's the abstract, but it's worth buying this issue (Feb., 2002) if only for this and for the Boss Tweed story someone else mentioned. I was going to pull up the old "from the land of" thread where the Tas devil was discussed a bit, but it's too long (enjoy stales!):

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues02/feb02/devil.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, but the link:
http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues00/mar00/kiwi.html
leads to my biography, which begins:

Night Belongs to the Kiwi

It may look fuzzy and adorable but this New Zealand bird is one tough customer

So jest watcher selves, is all I can say!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Now, now Cap, there's room enough for everybody. Stoats are what you have to worry about not Taz.

It's not really your fault people think of the Tasmanian devil more than the Kiwi. I mean consider...

...the Tasmanian devil is represented as a colourful cartoon character - a lovable villain who has entertained and still entertains millions of kiddies.

...the Kiwi,on the other hand, is represented as shoe wax. (oh and that fuzzy fruit with all those teeny black pits that get stuck in your teeth, that you find only after you have smiled at your coworkers all day and had that big presentation in front of your boss and the board of directors and flirted with that cute girl on the elevator)

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
..the Kiwi, on the other hand....

!!! Go, bel!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...the Kiwi,on the other hand, is represented as shoe wax. Akshully® bel, Kiwi shoe polish is a Striner product. The guy who started it up stole his wife's nationality as a brand name [oh, the shame of having "Kiwi" registered as an Ozzie brand!]

(oh and that fuzzy fruit with all those teeny black pits that get stuck in your teeth, Akshully®, bel, Kiwifruit is really stolen from China. They used to be known as Chinese gooseberries. Chile is currently stealing them from New Zealand. We've taken to calling them Zespris, I think. Oh, the tangled webs ...

that you find only after you have smiled at your coworkers all day and had that big presentation in front of your boss and the board of directors and flirted with that cute girl on the elevator)

Oh, sorry bel, didn't know your inclinations went that way ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
riposte...riposte me not...riposte...riposte me not.... 2 points to the Kiwi expatriate! bel?...we know you can do it!

#54936 02/03/02 02:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, yes, CK, I'd have recognized you anywhere:
"Into my field of view," writes Derek Grzelewski, "runs the oddest-looking creature, a shaggy, pear-shaped fur ball, that sniffs and snorts like an agitated hound."

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues00/mar00/kiwi.html

[doing some snorting, myself, e]

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Not to get too wordistic here ...but I did notice in the "devil" story that they mentioned Trowunna Wildlife Park and stated that Trowunna is Tasmania "in a local Aboriginal dialect."
And that would be?...CapK? Stales? Max?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh, sorry bel, didn't know your inclinations went that way ...

Bien non, Cap. the ones I flirt with are generally of the dangly-bit persuasion and not of the protuberances persuasion.

If you notice I said *YOU smiled at *your coworkers and *your boss and flirted with the cute girl.

Also, Monsieur, I am a lady and as such, carry a compact to avoid such eventualities as stuck teeny kiwi pits (or teeny Kiwi bits as the sad case may be)

#54939 02/03/02 05:13 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 723 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith