Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
An eerie factoid I just now stumbled upon while looking up something entirely different, in a source about a year old:

Construction of the U.S. Pentagon building was commenced on September 11, 1941.

Many of us may be have odd stories of tidbits found in the course of looking up other information. Any to share here?

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
a beautiful thing:
I found Anu's page and then AWAD...
while searching informations for "spirograph" in the net.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Last year, my work team had to spend a week working in NJ!-- and since commute was a killer, the company actually put us up in a local hotel.. 10 minutes from the office.. It was a mini-vacation, so i bought my self a book.. The Professor and Madman, and started reading..

Since were staying in a motel, we need to find someplace to eat.

the first night, we ended up in Applebee's-- a outlet of a chain of "Family Restaurants"-- boring..

by the next night, i had found Pandang-- an Indonesian restaurant... actually, its a chain too, but very small. And the food is not boring!

For dessert, we had an Indonesian style dishes..Both started with a base of shaved ice, and were served with thing like, red bean paste, corn (kernel of sweet maize!) green pea threads (sweet peas, dried, ground into flour, moistened, and made into noodles.) fruit jellies (a cross between gelatin and gummy bears in texture).. and other interesting stuff.. but mostly, it was just plain ice.

but of course, it was the base of shaved ice that caught our attention. we speculated-- how could a Indonesian cuisines come up with such a dish?
That night, as read about W. C. Minor, Winchester related how, Minor, as child (1830's)had gone to the tropics with his parents, on boat leaving Boston, bring ice to the tropics.. And i realized, how a dessert, based on and primarily of ice could have developed.. If Boston was shipping ice to Sri Lanka-- i bet it was shipping ice all over the south pacific. and shaved ice, with just a little bit of anything sweet-- was a treat! So my book serendipitiously answered my question..

it's pretty plain, that i have some sort of weird synesthesia -- and food and words overlap!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I think what you're trying to describe, of troy, is Es Cendol, one of Indonesia's more yummy deserts. There are lots of these ice desserts, another favourite is Es Teler, which apart from the inevitable ice is made from avocado, coconut milk, and what I shall persist in calling sweet corn.

Incidentally, I think the restaurant is more likely to have been called Padang than Pandang. Pandang means look or view. Padang is a region in West Sumatra famous for its cuisine.

Bingley

Bingley

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,335
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith