About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>Brillig, Jackie!

Now, the question is: should I be outraged or say thank you?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

>>Brillig, Jackie!

>> Now, the question is: should I be outraged or say thank you?

Neither. You should be outgrabe.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

>>Brillig, Jackie!

>> Now, the question is: should I be outraged or say thank you?

Neither. You should be outgrabe.

while gyring and gimbling in the wabe.

Bingley

Bingley
F
stranger
stranger
F
On not having enough to do:
The author of the most famous invented words (eg 'chortle') in our language also had not enough to do, and he came up with two immortal works of literature, the Alice books.

Is not 'outgrabe' a past participle, so the mom raths have finished 'outgrabing' or whatever? Incidentally 'rath' is irish for an old fort, perhaps where these beasts live.

TomH

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Since Max began this thread I have been unable to stop myself from creating words for any and everything that comes my way. Some of the words I have come up with - braichy, kielterate, wraid, and droozy. I love them. They are nonsense with a veneer of seriousness.
I learned while looking for a word if you concentrate on the word you have inordinate difficulty, where as if you concentrate on what you are trying to describe the word will come to you - and often it is a word that surprises you with its uniqueness.
I had wanted a word for rainy sky that flickered continuously like a tube light and roared like a train engine. I have come up with rumblickering or with onomatopoeic effect "a brumblickering sky". Makes sense? Of course not...
But the idea is to see what words one can come up with and not to use the words to communicate - that won't work …

old hand
old hand
>a brumblickering sky
I find this really poetic. Why should it make sense, if it makes feel?

#5456 08/23/00 12:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I have a question - what part of speech is 'outgrabe'?

I have somewhere the Annotated Alice, but my library is so poorly organized (translated: I've got 50 damned boxes of books still in the garage because there's no room in the house, so I went searching in Google. Sure enough, this is what I seemed to remember, from http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean/carroll/jabberwock.html:

Before incorporating "Jabberwocky" into Looking-Glass, however, Carroll apparently changed his mind as to what some of his words should mean, for when Alice discusses the poem with Humpty Dumpty later in the book, he gives somewhat different interpretations.

"That's enough to begin with," Humpty Dumpty interrupted: "there are plenty of hard words there. 'Brillig' means four o' clock in the afternoon--the time when you begin broiling things for dinner."
"That'll do very well," said Alice: "and 'slithy'?"
"Well, 'slithy' means 'lithe and slimy,' 'Lithe' is the same as 'active.' You see it's like a portmanteau--there are two meanings packed up into one word."

This is the first of several portmanteaus that Carroll used in "Jabberwocky."

"I see it now," Alice remarked thoughtfully: "and what are 'toves'?"
"Well, 'toves' are something like badgers--they're something like lizards--and they're something like corkscrews."
"They must be very curious-looking creatures."
"They are that," said Humpty Dumpty: "also they make their nests under sundials--also they live on cheese."
"And what's to 'gyre' and to 'gimble'?"
"To 'gyre' is to go round and round like a gyroscope. To 'gimble' is to make holes like a gimlet."
"And 'the wabe' is the grass-plot round a sun-dial, I suppose?" said Alice, surprised at her own ingenuity.
"Of course it is. It's called 'wabe,' you know, because it goes a long way before it, and long way behind it--"
"And a long way beyond it on each side," Alice added.
"Exactly so. Well then,'mimsy' is 'flimsy and miserable' (there's another portmanteau for you). And a 'borogove' is a thin shabby-looking bird with its feathers sticking out all round--something like a live mop."
"And then 'mome raths'?" said Alice. "I'm afraid I'm giving you a great deal of trouble."
"Well, a 'rath'is a sort of green pig: but 'mome' I'm not certain about. I think it's short for 'from home'--meaning that they'd lost their way, you know."
"And what does 'outgrabe' mean?"
"Well, 'outgrabing' is something between bellowing and whistling, with a kind of sneeze in the middle: however, you'll hear it done, maybe--down in the wood yonder--and, when you've once heard it, you'll be quite content" (Carroll The Annotated Alice 270-2).

Unfortuantely, this is where Humpty Dumpty, and Carroll, ends his interpretation. We can, however, by means of several methods determine what Carroll is likely to have meant by most of his nonsense words. The first of these methods is to consider what Carroll told confused readers.
For example, in 1877 he wrote to Maud Standen, one of his child-friends, that "uffish" suggested to him "a state of mind when the voice is gruffish, the manner roughish and the temper huffish" (Gardner The Annotated Alice 196). In the same letter he points out that "burble" can be created in the following manner: "If you take the three verbs 'bleat 'murmur,' and warble,'and select the bits I have underlined, it certainly makes 'burble': though I am afraid I can't distinctly remember having made it in that way" (Gardner The Annotated Alice 196). Carroll also reused eight of the nonsense words for "Jabberwocky" in his nonsense poem "The Hunting of the Snark." One of these words, "frumious," is explained in the preface.

... take the two words "fuming" and "furious." Make up your mind that you will say both words, but leave it unsettled which you will say first. Now open your mouth and speak. If your thoughts incline ever so little towards "fuming," you will say "fuming-furious"; if they turn, by even a hair's breadth, towards "furious," you will say "furious-fuming"; but if you have the rarest of gifts, a perfectly balanced mind, you will say "frumious" (Gardner The Annotated Alice 195).

Several of Carroll's words have become so much a part of our language that they can be found in the Oxford English Dictionary. In addition to several of the words defined by Humpty Dumpty, these include "galumph," which is defined as a combination of "gallop" and "triumphant" and means "to march on exultantly with irregular bounding movements" (Gardner The Annotated Alice 196), and "chortle" which is defined as a combination of "chuckle" and "snort" (Gardner The Annotated Alice 197). It is fairly safe to assume that these are the definitions that Carroll wanted attached to his words.

TEd
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
>Therefore it makes sense to me that
there would be two adjectives in the next sentence: the
borogroves were mimsy, and the mome raths were outgrabe.

Well, Jackie, I see your point and there is a certain literary elegance in translating it that way.
But surely Lewis Carroll, meticulous in his punctuation, would have put a comma before outgrabe if it were an adjective? In addition, Humpty Dumpty's definitive transliteration of the poem certainly uses the word as a verb " ... something between a bellow and a whistle, with a sneeze thrown in ...," (or something like that - I quote from memory, not having a copy to hand at work.)
So I must to agree with Bridget.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rhuby--
Right you are, on all counts!

M
M
It seems that whenever someone says that they are coining a word, it fails to become a word. I don't understand why Y2K isn't a word; it just designates the year and not a computer problem. Is seems everyone is avoiding saying the year (00) except in print or calling it with century included. "Here, sir, are the statistics from 00, and those are the numbers from 99." What do AWAD talk subscribers say? Y2K was a good example of a word being coined and I doubt it could be traced to one person. Unfortunately, "Y2K" seems to have become synonymous with "Y2K computer date problem/disaster" and not 2000. My point is that I don't think that anyone just decides to coin a word and then find it in usage. Or is that just what "coin a word" means? What's the difference between coining a word and neologisms (word salad)? There appears to be an unspoken dynamic of language at work for a word to come into usage, be it the ease of its use, its singularity, its hip quotient, or its shared secrecy or jargon.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith