Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#54133 01/31/02 09:31 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
people who are interesting, informed, amusing and willing to share.
Of which you, dear wow, are amongst the foremost -

AND who are patient and understanding of my ramblings, a big plus
we have nothing to be patient about with you- ramble you do not!

for this old lady.
We have only your word for this - I, for one, would not have guessed that you are not much younger than I am from your writing

signed

wow's greatest fan

#54134 01/31/02 01:24 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ohhh Rhuby

#54135 01/31/02 03:19 PM
old hand
old hand
I have a hard time isolating a "best experience", but I just had another typical experience that illustrates why I'm still here... in what I will call The Return of Keiva post Hi K! Glad you're back!, he used the word "struthionine". I had no idea what it was, other than intriguing enough to look up. So I fired up Atomica and learned.

Not only have I acquired another totally obnoxious word to confound my friends with, it occurred to me that without you all, I wouldn't have Atomica to make it convenient to keep up with you all! Thanks, everyone!

#54136 01/31/02 08:45 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you for this thread, Jazzo. Like many of you, I had a hard time deciding just what experience to single out as the best or most memorable, so I won't even try. Here are a few of the times I remember the most fondly:

-Bobyoungbalt's warm welcome on the day I registered
-wow teaching this supposedly computer-literate youngster how to cut and paste
-Uncle Bill teasing me about my "callipygy"
-Capital Kiwi's hilarious stories and wonderful travel diary-- you get the vote for my all-time favorite post: http://216.12.219.209/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=21510 (posted during the Great tsuwm Kidnapping Conspiracy)
-many more that I don't have room for!

Thanks to Anu for creating this magical place, and to all of you for making it so much fun.

#54137 02/01/02 12:35 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
My best experience. Pshhh, I don’t have just one. I am enamored with this place and its residents.

Seriously, my nasal passages will be forever clear for all the times I’ve been taken by surprise and laughed so hard my coffee went spurting from all but my eyelids.

I don’t know how many times I’ve said something like, “oh my gosh, did you know that corn is not that yellow niblet stuff everywhere and that other people call wheat corn?” (and have my hubby roll his eye and sigh, again)

And where else can fish on bikes come up in a conversation and someone go out and a) find a web page about them and b) find a man using fishonabike as his handle and c) invite him in as a new Board member.

And when else would a bunch of people from all over the world decide they liked each other so much they’d travel hundreds and thousands of kilometers (hmmm, isn’t it odd that the U.S. is still using the imperial system called miles) to meet in person.

My best experience, well, I guess it’s the day on logged on Thu Sep 28 10:47:07 2000 to tomorrow and on after that.

#54138 02/01/02 12:41 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I've enjoyed so many experiences it is hard to pick one. The great tsuwm adventure was fun (thanks to AnnaS et al) as have been many of the long rambly wild goosechases. I loved the mondegreens and the version of Bohemian Rhapsody posted by Shanks (I think), no, after a qick nudge (see below), the wonderful Max (how could I have made that mistake), always full of surprises. I love discovering that a word that seems pretty basic to me is completely unintelligible to someone else (or vice versa).

The best time is when, rarely now, I'm up to date with all the posts and I can sit here and see the new ones pop up on the board. I've gadded about with the Kiwis in the early morning (for me), caught the divine Mr B at the end of his working day, discovered Rhuby trying to gather his thoughts before lecturing or conversed with y'all in the USofA and Canada (esp the ever-fascinating Quebec) before I go to bed. It's great to see y'all wake up and catch up with what has happened while you were asleep.

Prolly the answer is the same as the one I'd give when asked about my favourite meal. It is simple - the next one.

#54139 02/01/02 12:55 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#54140 02/01/02 01:59 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Although I have only been on the board a little over a month (Dec 28), I watched for quite some time before then. What finally enticed me to become a part of this nut house was Dec. 10, when Keiva started "The Twelve Days of Christmas". I watched intently daily and found myself rolling on the floor as things would progress. It was definitely what grabbed me and pulled me in.

#54141 02/01/02 02:40 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Why, Max, are you OK? Here, have a cough drop.

And, oh? Did you drop this? What is it? Hmmmmm ... a manuscript of "Bohemian Rhapsody?"

#54142 02/01/02 06:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So many things jump to mind it's hard to sort out the "best" of them but I'll try.
I got the computer around Christmas 2000 and was pretty cyber-naive, but after reading that great Smithsonian article on A.Word.A.Day I couldn't wait to get here once I got online. I was peeking in for awhile before I ventured my first post on eponyms, "bogart," which got some mild and interesting attention. But then my next venture, "When did pronunciation/sp. of Neanderthal change?" created such a stir that my home mailbox loaded up with messages, and I thought "ommigod!" what did I get myself into! And I was in for quite a ride answering, searching info, and trying to keep up with y'all, and some of the, then unfamiliar, tangents the thread was taking. Yiikes! Dat was fun! But after that I was hooked for good! And I especially remember all the warm and welcoming PMs surrounding those experiences, and I thank everyone for their gracious cordiality. Especially Hyla's hi Chris! (where is Froggy-Daddy?) endearing public pronouncement, "Whitman - you definitely merit the "stranger" appellation under your name, but I applaud your resolve." A laugh I will always cherish!

And then, of course, their was the day when I answered someone's mention of bluegrass music in a post, and that "someone" turned out to be Jackie...and with her warm heart and Kintucky spirit she made me feel at home here right away, and has become one of the closest and most rewarding friendships I've ever experienced on or off the board! What a delight to know you! And one of my most beautiful moments here was receiving, early in our friendship, a very poigant and moving correpsondence about her experience with an ill friend which stirred my heart, and added gratitude and meaning for each new day of living...something, Jackie, I will always cherish. Just lovely.
And not to mention Jackie's talent for being the AWAD Welcome Wagon!

Speaking of beautiful, I also remember a thread of such moving esoteric beauty that it caused many here to comment that it just might be AWAD's finest moment, "time on my hands." Alphatized by the one and only tsuwm thanks, Mike!. And if not THE best, then it certainly merits a look by new folks and any who missed it to see that amidst our infrequent (ahem) moments of transitory bedlam there are many many more moments of shining gentle stars!
http://216.12.219.209/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=35912

I recall all the support and friendship offered by concerned folks at a moment of hurt, many of whom I hardly knew, and I'm especially grateful for all that kindness extended to me when I didn't know where to turn. There's a lot of special people here! Jackie, Jo, Keven, Gin, Connie, Bingley, and all the others who extended a shoulder and helping hand, thanks a million!

And Hogmaster tsuwm, I do admit to enjoying a good game of Hogwash®! Thank you, Mike! And thanks alot for another new addiction! Who's got a new word? We need a word! I have to have a word I tell you!

[edit] I would be remiss if I did not mention maverick's magnificient and heart-rending poem, "Common Tongue," in tribute to BeingCJ. I find myself deeply moved every time I reread it, just stunning. Thank you for that, A-. And, indeed, that entire thread showed the quality of compassion and caring that lives among the community of this board. The poem is available on Max's AWADabilia site here, under the links "The Fruits of Our Labors", then "For Carol, In Memoriam": http://maxqnz.com/forcarol.html

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith