Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#54113 01/28/02 06:08 PM
J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
There have been a lot of bad vibes floating around this place recently, so in an attempt to lighten the mood and focus on the positive, perhaps we can all share our most memorable or most enjoyed experiences related to the board.

Mine, I think, would have to be the thread I started when I was graduating from high school. At the time I had begun thinking very deeply about how my life would change from then on and I was apprehensive about such a big move forward. Your response was wonderful. The caring, congratulations and advice you all shared with me was very meaningful. I'm now in my second quarter of college and doing well. I like to think that some of your comments have helped me with the transition. Thanks.

#54114 01/28/02 06:18 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Jazz: I can't think of any particular incident worth commenting on. But my discovery of the board was a genuine thrill. If I had been born wealthy, I think I would have concentrated entirely on language. But after leaving college I had little or no contact with people interested in language, or more particularly, interested in words. There are so many people on the board who know more about language than I do, that I have enjoyed their provision of information I cannot get elsewhere.

#54115 01/28/02 07:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I guess, Jazz, in some respects you're the Board mascot. Not counting our New York friend Screw-the-Pooch, you're probably the youngest person on the Board, and I think a lot of us are watching your progress with a rather proprietorial eye.

My best experience related to the Board undoubtedly had to be meeting some of you last year when Sandra and I were cavorting and carousing across the US without a care in the world except for the exchange rate.

The thing I noticed most was that everyone was exactly what they appeared to be from their posts - no one we met was using a persona which had little or no relationship to their own personalities.

And that's why what's happened in the last week or so hurts so much - I know that most of you are exactly what you seem to be. Still and all, that's not too bad, is it?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#54116 01/28/02 09:53 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#54117 01/28/02 11:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what a wonderful idea, Jazzo! for me, it was the 40 to 50 post that awaited me when i got home on Sept 11th.. I hadn't been too upset or worried most of the day.. after all, i knew i was safe. but it made me feel so cared for to come home and find, even thought phone service was severly disrupted, i was able to get on line.. and waiting for me, all of your love and concern. i loved the way every one worked to gether, with faldage checking out NYC maps, to check out how near (or close) i had been to WTC-- and correctly assesing that i was most likely safe, and just trudging home.. and Jo sharing my home number with others, so they could try to call..
one thing i recognize about my life, is because i ended up maturing and going to college later in life than most of my cohort, i missed out forming life long friendships with like minded people--that always bothered me.. i still felt like the odd man out-- i was still the geek that read the dictionary for enjoyment. but here.. here i am a simpleton, for as much as know, i sorely lack the depth.. in a private post some one describe the condition -- a mile wide and micron deep-- and yes, that's me.. but now days, i have the company of all of you.. and place now, my knowledge extend to a full quarter inch!

i have also had the pleasure of meeting several members--and look forward to meeting more in June.

so-- it's really sad -- i will be here less for a while.. there are 2 major roll-outs going on- starting next month (feb) and both have manditory training... and the training manager is retiring.. so we will be short handed to boot! i will check in, and i will try to keep in touch.. if you don't have my real email address.. ask me.. i will check my email more often than AWAD.. and three months from now.. i'll be back...
i am so addicted, i am sure i will find some time for AWAD-- i just have to give something else up.. i know, sleep.. maybe i could just stop sleeping every night.

#54118 01/29/02 12:07 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh Max, my face is on fire! But, thank you, my DEAR friend!
I do love you deeply. [blush!]
My ONE best time?? You want me to pick ONE??? (Excellent idea, though, JazzO.) Oh my gosh. The very best time I've had ON the board was when tsuwm got "kidnapped". Tears streaming! I have to say that my very best experience FROM the board is learning, from so many different cultures and viewpoints, that people from all over the world have so many similarities. Closely followed by the amazing and wonderful friendships I have made. Anu--bless you, sir.

#54119 01/29/02 12:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One [of the hundreds!] of my best experiences from this board was when I met Jackie, belMarduk, and musick in Chicago this fall. All I can say is "I'm addicted!".If you don't believe me, go to the ballroom in Words from Medicine.
Thanks Jazz.

#54120 01/29/02 04:07 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Actually® Jazzo, you yourself, along with JimTheDog and his brother Pi (both of whom we haven't heard from recently -- hope they haven't gone away) are part of my favorite experience here. I have done a good bit of volunteer work with young men in my time and enjoyed it immensely. When it seemed that you could use a few hints at a really crucial (in the literal and figurative sense) point in your life, and when JTD let us know about what he wanted to do and the inadequacies of his school which frustrated him, there were so many people here who were prompt to jump in and offer advice and assistance and I felt that I was part of a group that just might make a difference in a young guy's development. Quite possibly not, but not for lack of effort.

#54121 01/29/02 05:50 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh gosh. "most memorable or most enjoyed experiences related to the board" How to choose? All the people I'd never have known otherwise. All the websites I'd never have found otherwise. All the love and caring that wafts around on this board that I'd never have felt otherwise.

Bingley

Bingley
#54122 01/29/02 07:27 AM
old hand
old hand
I have several "best" memories - but I am a geologist and we always have at least two opinions on everything....

(1) The warm welcome (initial and continued) from Jackie, and from others along the way.

(2) The "off board" string of PM's with Bean. We have similar educational backgrounds and share a great interest in the cultural pursuits of each other's countries. It is most unlikely I would have met somebody like her in my normal peregrinations.

(3) Wordwind's questions. They are ones that I liked to answer and that she seemed to like to ask - a perfect commensal relationship.

(4) Addicted in Kalgoorlie.

notbackyet stales

#54123 01/29/02 11:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, I agree with you. That was hilarious.

Helen, yeah. I love it that we were all concerned about you... for all we knew, you were working at the WTC. Faldage may be a nit-picker you should have to live with him, already! but at least he let us know you weren't in the thick of it. And I *still think your award should have been for the pub thang .

Thanks, Jazz, for this reminder.

#54124 01/29/02 11:27 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I must say, I don't know if you guys all realize this, but I talk about daily Board happenings at home at suppertime as if you were people who worked with me in my office:

"Oh man, there was a thread today about such-and-such - WordWind asked about something - and stales posted some info - and then Dr. Bill had a great WWII story about it - and Sparteye knew the legal background - and helen had this great piece of obscure information - and then Faldage said something just to be contrary - and MaxQ quoted Douglas Adams - and tswum looked it up on the OED - and CK had a vaguely related sheep story - and FiberBabe mentioned lutefisk - and BelM made a Canadian joke that was probably lost on the others - ..." and on it goes...(BTW, that was not trying to be an all-inclusive list of people...)

So you guys have become part of my group of friends, and my husband feels like he knows you guys, too. And that's probably the best thing I've taken from this Board. The sideline cultural exchanges, as stales pointed out above, are the icing on the cake!

#54125 01/29/02 02:11 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My best experience is also that of the global friendships made possible here. Nowhere else have I ever encountered anybody who cared an owl's hoot that the formation of slippery is the result of an obscure grammatical choice made by our great-great-great-great-great-great-etc grandparents. But even better, here the discussions can ramble on about language, or even off onto some tangent, with an exquisite blend of academia, humor, bawdiness and philosophy. Not to mention food, engineering, and rocks. This is the best salon on the net.

#54126 01/29/02 02:28 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
an exquisite blend of academia, humor, bawdiness and philosophy. Not to mention food, engineering, and rocks.

LMFAO!

This is the best salon on the net.

174!

#54127 01/30/02 02:53 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Sparteye, in your very comprehensive list, you forgot about cricket. In spite of all the explanations which have been provided from time to time, I still don't have more than a vague notion of what the hell goes on in a cricket match, and probably never will, but I love reading about it. I love the language of cricket. The mention of LBW gives me a frisson of delight. (Hope I'm not accidentally revealing something unseemly in my subconscious.)

#54128 01/30/02 09:41 AM
R
addict
addict
R
In spite of all the explanations which have
been provided from time to time, I still don't have more than a vague notion of what the hell goes on in a
cricket match, and probably never will, but I love reading about it.

Then have a look at my cricket team's web pages. I threw them together in a couple of days so they're not perfect but I'm updating them before the next cricket season starts (May '02). Have a look, especially, at the cricket rules (note rules, cricket has laws!) and the poetry pages. After the rules you'll be befuddled but the poetry is pure genius (a couple by me, btw). I'll bet you never thought the two went together!

http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/MP/

My best experience of the AWAD board was just after I joined. There were only a few of us on this side of the pond (me and jmh, really) and so I would look forward to all of the replies to my posts in the morning from the USns and I would often stay behind in work for hours to engage in the real-time discussions with the forum members. I'd never been invoved with chatrooms or any other similar group before so this was my first venture into cyberspace discussion (email excepted). I remember a particularly good slugging match with tsuwm about 'feminism' which went on for hours. He won, of course. damn him

#54129 01/30/02 01:07 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Well, Jazzo, that is a very good question, and not one that is easy to answer.

Like so many of you, the "best experience" is an amalgam of many good ones. Meeting Jackie (virtually) and really meeting Jo in Edinburgh for tea in the best hotel in Princes Street are an important part of it, as are the many off-board contacts with a number of you.
Another important facet is the intellectual stimulus of conversing with so many people who think that words and language are not only important but fun.

Another high spot for me was AnnaS's surprise when I made a riposte to her post about the Lugnuts - I would never have taken that much interest in the sport otherwise! BTW, I share BYB's lack of understanding about cricket! It's cultural exchanges like this that also add so much value to the board.

But I suppose if I have to pick out the single on-board aspect that really turns me on and keeps me returning, even when I haven't the time to do more than lurk, is the zany humour of so many of you - especially Max, mav and TEd, of course, but nearly everyone has, at some time, had me doubled up with laughter.

I really am looking forward to meeting some of you at this June - that's going to be the high spot of this year, if not this century!

#54130 01/30/02 01:21 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I had here a lot of beautiful moments, to meet a lot of you all...
But the memories the more deep and intense are related to sad moments we shared : the death of BeingCJ, and the death of the friend of maverick.

#54131 01/30/02 01:26 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
our most memorable or most enjoyed experiences related to the board.

Memorable : Reading about AWAD in Smithsonian, looking in at wordsmith.org and discovering a wonderful place peopled by really neat folks.

Enjoy : clicking the folder in my "favorites" list and finding myself among people who are interesting, informed, amusing and willing to share. AND who are patient and understanding of my ramblings, a big plus for this old lady.

Thank you all for some wonderful times.

#54132 01/30/02 04:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a vague notion of what the hell goes on in a cricket match

One bunch of fellers throws a ball around and the other bunch tries to hit it with a stick. When the other bunch hits it with the stick they get to run around a lot. Then they change places. The bunch of fellers that ran around the most wins.

This is unlike the vastly superior game of baseball in which simply running around a lot after hitting the ball with a stick doesn't necessarily accomplish anything. In baseball one must be capable of following up on running around a lot.

My best experience on this board? Most of you already know, but for any newcomers I think it is best summed up in my bio:

A) Beyond all hope Anastrophied have I been

#54133 01/31/02 09:31 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
people who are interesting, informed, amusing and willing to share.
Of which you, dear wow, are amongst the foremost -

AND who are patient and understanding of my ramblings, a big plus
we have nothing to be patient about with you- ramble you do not!

for this old lady.
We have only your word for this - I, for one, would not have guessed that you are not much younger than I am from your writing

signed

wow's greatest fan

#54134 01/31/02 01:24 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ohhh Rhuby

#54135 01/31/02 03:19 PM
old hand
old hand
I have a hard time isolating a "best experience", but I just had another typical experience that illustrates why I'm still here... in what I will call The Return of Keiva post Hi K! Glad you're back!, he used the word "struthionine". I had no idea what it was, other than intriguing enough to look up. So I fired up Atomica and learned.

Not only have I acquired another totally obnoxious word to confound my friends with, it occurred to me that without you all, I wouldn't have Atomica to make it convenient to keep up with you all! Thanks, everyone!

#54136 01/31/02 08:45 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you for this thread, Jazzo. Like many of you, I had a hard time deciding just what experience to single out as the best or most memorable, so I won't even try. Here are a few of the times I remember the most fondly:

-Bobyoungbalt's warm welcome on the day I registered
-wow teaching this supposedly computer-literate youngster how to cut and paste
-Uncle Bill teasing me about my "callipygy"
-Capital Kiwi's hilarious stories and wonderful travel diary-- you get the vote for my all-time favorite post: http://216.12.219.209/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=21510 (posted during the Great tsuwm Kidnapping Conspiracy)
-many more that I don't have room for!

Thanks to Anu for creating this magical place, and to all of you for making it so much fun.

#54137 02/01/02 12:35 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
My best experience. Pshhh, I don’t have just one. I am enamored with this place and its residents.

Seriously, my nasal passages will be forever clear for all the times I’ve been taken by surprise and laughed so hard my coffee went spurting from all but my eyelids.

I don’t know how many times I’ve said something like, “oh my gosh, did you know that corn is not that yellow niblet stuff everywhere and that other people call wheat corn?” (and have my hubby roll his eye and sigh, again)

And where else can fish on bikes come up in a conversation and someone go out and a) find a web page about them and b) find a man using fishonabike as his handle and c) invite him in as a new Board member.

And when else would a bunch of people from all over the world decide they liked each other so much they’d travel hundreds and thousands of kilometers (hmmm, isn’t it odd that the U.S. is still using the imperial system called miles) to meet in person.

My best experience, well, I guess it’s the day on logged on Thu Sep 28 10:47:07 2000 to tomorrow and on after that.

#54138 02/01/02 12:41 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I've enjoyed so many experiences it is hard to pick one. The great tsuwm adventure was fun (thanks to AnnaS et al) as have been many of the long rambly wild goosechases. I loved the mondegreens and the version of Bohemian Rhapsody posted by Shanks (I think), no, after a qick nudge (see below), the wonderful Max (how could I have made that mistake), always full of surprises. I love discovering that a word that seems pretty basic to me is completely unintelligible to someone else (or vice versa).

The best time is when, rarely now, I'm up to date with all the posts and I can sit here and see the new ones pop up on the board. I've gadded about with the Kiwis in the early morning (for me), caught the divine Mr B at the end of his working day, discovered Rhuby trying to gather his thoughts before lecturing or conversed with y'all in the USofA and Canada (esp the ever-fascinating Quebec) before I go to bed. It's great to see y'all wake up and catch up with what has happened while you were asleep.

Prolly the answer is the same as the one I'd give when asked about my favourite meal. It is simple - the next one.

#54139 02/01/02 12:55 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#54140 02/01/02 01:59 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Although I have only been on the board a little over a month (Dec 28), I watched for quite some time before then. What finally enticed me to become a part of this nut house was Dec. 10, when Keiva started "The Twelve Days of Christmas". I watched intently daily and found myself rolling on the floor as things would progress. It was definitely what grabbed me and pulled me in.

#54141 02/01/02 02:40 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Why, Max, are you OK? Here, have a cough drop.

And, oh? Did you drop this? What is it? Hmmmmm ... a manuscript of "Bohemian Rhapsody?"

#54142 02/01/02 06:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So many things jump to mind it's hard to sort out the "best" of them but I'll try.
I got the computer around Christmas 2000 and was pretty cyber-naive, but after reading that great Smithsonian article on A.Word.A.Day I couldn't wait to get here once I got online. I was peeking in for awhile before I ventured my first post on eponyms, "bogart," which got some mild and interesting attention. But then my next venture, "When did pronunciation/sp. of Neanderthal change?" created such a stir that my home mailbox loaded up with messages, and I thought "ommigod!" what did I get myself into! And I was in for quite a ride answering, searching info, and trying to keep up with y'all, and some of the, then unfamiliar, tangents the thread was taking. Yiikes! Dat was fun! But after that I was hooked for good! And I especially remember all the warm and welcoming PMs surrounding those experiences, and I thank everyone for their gracious cordiality. Especially Hyla's hi Chris! (where is Froggy-Daddy?) endearing public pronouncement, "Whitman - you definitely merit the "stranger" appellation under your name, but I applaud your resolve." A laugh I will always cherish!

And then, of course, their was the day when I answered someone's mention of bluegrass music in a post, and that "someone" turned out to be Jackie...and with her warm heart and Kintucky spirit she made me feel at home here right away, and has become one of the closest and most rewarding friendships I've ever experienced on or off the board! What a delight to know you! And one of my most beautiful moments here was receiving, early in our friendship, a very poigant and moving correpsondence about her experience with an ill friend which stirred my heart, and added gratitude and meaning for each new day of living...something, Jackie, I will always cherish. Just lovely.
And not to mention Jackie's talent for being the AWAD Welcome Wagon!

Speaking of beautiful, I also remember a thread of such moving esoteric beauty that it caused many here to comment that it just might be AWAD's finest moment, "time on my hands." Alphatized by the one and only tsuwm thanks, Mike!. And if not THE best, then it certainly merits a look by new folks and any who missed it to see that amidst our infrequent (ahem) moments of transitory bedlam there are many many more moments of shining gentle stars!
http://216.12.219.209/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=35912

I recall all the support and friendship offered by concerned folks at a moment of hurt, many of whom I hardly knew, and I'm especially grateful for all that kindness extended to me when I didn't know where to turn. There's a lot of special people here! Jackie, Jo, Keven, Gin, Connie, Bingley, and all the others who extended a shoulder and helping hand, thanks a million!

And Hogmaster tsuwm, I do admit to enjoying a good game of Hogwash®! Thank you, Mike! And thanks alot for another new addiction! Who's got a new word? We need a word! I have to have a word I tell you!

[edit] I would be remiss if I did not mention maverick's magnificient and heart-rending poem, "Common Tongue," in tribute to BeingCJ. I find myself deeply moved every time I reread it, just stunning. Thank you for that, A-. And, indeed, that entire thread showed the quality of compassion and caring that lives among the community of this board. The poem is available on Max's AWADabilia site here, under the links "The Fruits of Our Labors", then "For Carol, In Memoriam": http://maxqnz.com/forcarol.html

#54143 02/02/02 03:22 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
My worst experience happened even before I became a Newbe, I tried to pick a word fight with belMarduk, thinking her a tough, retired Marine Sargent. I was wrong. Marine Sargents have not the language skills nor the temperament with which to spar with belMarduk when she is crossed. I apologized to her forthwith.

My best experience is, am, and are, the poems of Wordwind.

Milum.

#54144 02/02/02 06:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this is going to be one of my favorites!

Milum! Let me be the first to congratulate you on your member

#54145 02/02/02 06:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
status! oops![heh heh]Nice journey, man!

#54146 02/02/02 06:09 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
And I am most pleased to follow. Every post of yours has been memorable (except for one, which was merely above-average ).

#54147 02/02/02 10:57 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh milum, consider your worst experience inexistent. It was immediately forgiven and forgotten back then. It was a good reminder to me too that it is easy to misunderstand someone when all you have is written words on a page. A kiss on both cheeks (it’s tradition, I am French) in friendship.

#54148 02/03/02 03:04 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Milum! Let me be the first to congratulate you on your member.

A kiss on both cheeks (it’s tradition, I am French) in friendship.

Milum, if these ladies are congratulating you in open about your privates, I guess I will too! Congratulations, my 100 poster friend! Consuelo...his member?! and Bel, I do hope you meant his upper cheeks!

#54149 03/21/02 07:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Another look at folks' fondest moments and memories as part of our cherished AWAD community is always heart-warming and inspiring...expecially for the many new folks who have recently climbed aboard.

#54150 03/21/02 09:42 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
.muliM

.rebmeM a = stsop 991 = stsop 002 morf tsop eno stcartbus taht tsop evitagen a si sihT
.nac uoy ebyam ,lleh eht tahw tub ,emit ni kcab og t'nac uoy yas yehT
.htrae siht no elpoep tseb eht gnoma era ohw srebmeM rehto eht htiw ereht kcab niamer ot ekil dluow dna rebmeM a gnieb yppah os saw I ."tsaisuhtnE" a gnieb rof msaisuhtne on evah I .tsetorp I
."tsaisuhtne" ot em detomorp bulC dawA rht ot sgnidnats laicos sngissa dna stnuoc taht tak taf yppah gniees-lla eht elihwnaeM .knurd tib a saw I ,ot naem t'ndid I ,luof tsom ,luoF

Post Edit: oh oh, I'm in trouble now. I think I broke the spell check.

#54151 03/21/02 11:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sweet Milum,

You misspelled 'the'. She said enthusiastically.

#54152 03/21/02 11:42 PM
A
addict
addict
A
OH, Milum!

Wait till I teach you the secret handshake for being an enthusiast! On second thought, maybe I will have to show you this one at Wordapalooza!

Post Edit:Post Edit: oh oh, I'm in trouble now. I think I broke the spell check.

You mean, it worked in the first place???????

#54153 03/22/02 10:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Enthusiasm is not a bad thing, dear Milo. It's "old" hand that I object to Congratulations anyway

#54154 03/22/02 01:27 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I must say, I'm really impressed by the sense of community y'all have created.
Milum - enthusiasm is one of my favourite traits - without it, life can feel pretty empty. So don't fret. Besides, you'll get over it eventually!

#54155 03/22/02 03:41 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Where else would you find recent discussions of pig orgasms and pig vaginas?

#54156 03/22/02 05:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

That's a sad, sick post to make on a thread like this, Keiva. Especially in response to a newcomer's kind words about our AWAD community.

#54157 03/22/02 05:52 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
.., but in memory recovered like Dutch sailing vessels from the waste heap excavation that was both heap and excavation before the present dyke did threat to bust--

I don't mean to be rude--to interrupt rudely--here, but you can say that in English, you know.

Oh?

Ip yips about the boat they found buried in the muck when they first excavated Vesey Street to sink the piers of the World Trade Center.

(Be still, my better half!) ..did threat to bust. I discovered recently as my psychiatrist and his accountant scribbled past my sunken eyelids, that I'd wondered as a child how many names has God and because His names are numberless, I'd been counting ever since. Why ask Freud, when you can probe the Rector? A penny undreamed is a penny earned, and all that stuff.

My happiest moment here, then, was to discover that not only are His names discreet in number (though the number indiscreetly grow), but augmented by a suffix'ed suffix. Was here that this God first spoke to me, black fire on white, while the dropping Jacorandas eavesed.

And to all the rest: all the rest -- like marriage (or so they say) the best and worst of it together overbrim the cup.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Don't know how I missed this thread altogether, but I did. The best single moment on this board was meeting mfa, who caused me to start writing again. And writing ever since has never been sweeter because of his influence and friendship.

Beyond being opened up again after lying dormant (and thought to be dead) have been the many moments of jollity--the hippopotamess, getting tsuwm's dander up (playfully, always playfully--right, tsuwm?), watching Jackie shake her little tailfeathers--and knowing that she really cares about each of us, hearing stories from Bill--can't get enough often enough, playing Edward to Keiva's Emily, receiving sweets from Scotland, lifting my eyebrows when food threads sneak in, learning some of the coolest words on earth that are completely useless to most people except those such as we, being able to follow on occasion the inside jokes (and I'm such an on-the-outside-loop kind of person), sensing that one day, when I least expect it, glaciers really are going to make sense, and reading today Milum's public admission that he likes my poems--privately was a great charge, but, heh, Milum, a public admission brings tears to my eyes. and don't you go and fuss at me for this, Milum! You're my most loyal fan!

Ah, there are more fond memories, but I've got to go read some steenkin' pedagogy. That's my first use of steenkin'--and I've just been dying to use it just once!

Stales, how hard is pillow lava?

Best regards,
Wanewax

#54159 03/23/02 12:40 AM
R
R
Like wwh, I would be hard pressed to define a best moment. I just checked and realised that it has been just over a year since I registered on the board and I have lost count of the new words that I have learned; the number of times I have fired up my OED to look up something, gone off on a search engine induced (inspired?) tangent never to be seen again; the bits and pieces of local flavour from locales around the globe that I have savoured.

On the down side there is at least one grievous flaw with the board as it is now structured:

1. There should be warning labels, like on cigarette packages.
Warning: This site might be cause large spans of time to vanish without a trace.
Warning: Visiting this site might result in you having to stay up until 1:30 in the morning (again) to finish that assignment you were going to finish before you decided to just to read one or two short posts.

Like Wiarton Willie, every once in a while, I poke my head up through the pile of stuff that has buried me to see what’s going on.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tail feathers? Tail feathers?? [outraged look e]
Come here, madam, and I'll SHOW you some tail feathers...

Be that as it may, I can't stand it any longer without saying this: how I LOVE you all! (not you-all--I mean every last one of you!) I just...I never knew this kind of thing could happen. I have been let into peoples' lives in incredible ways. People have cried on me (I can't think of a higher honor), and let me cry on them. We have laughed together--oh, how we have laughed! I cannot get over how clearly love comes through on an electronic screen where there is not even anything you can touch, but it does! I have FELT it, unmistakably, and oh, it is so warm... Thank you all so very much, from the bottom of my heart.

#54161 03/23/02 01:56 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G

That's a sad, sick post to make on a thread like this, Keiva. Especially in response to a newcomer's kind words
about our AWAD community.

Well, Mr Whitman O'Neal, I, as another sick person, enjoyed it.

This points up, I suppose, why I made a mistake in returning to AWAD Talk. I felt that I had made a connection with a few of you at times, but came to see that the belief was illusory, or, at best, transient. I have enjoyed WordWind's poetry, the erudition of TSUWM, Bingley, Max, CK, et. al, but most of all I have enjoyed Ted Remington's fantastic shaggy dog stories and puns. But enough is enough. More contrariness is more than I can handle.

Geoff Sanders, sad, sick person

#54162 03/23/02 02:35 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Now, don't you go leaving on us again Geoff. You hear me?

I loved it too! So I must be equally ill! This is a great place and I am happy that Keiva made that comment. Those are two of the funniest threads going lately. And we all need more humor in our lives! So lighten up guys. Don't take things so seriously.

#54163 03/23/02 03:14 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
W'ON, I'd think your comment was more dicordant with the tone of this thread than was mine. Lighten up!

#54164 03/23/02 06:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Another look at folks' fondest moments and memories as part of our cherished AWAD
community is always heart-warming and inspiring...expecially for the many new folks who
have recently climbed aboard.

Another look at folks' fondest moments and memories as part of our cherished AWAD
community is always heart-warming and inspiring...expecially for the many new folks who
have recently climbed aboard.

#54165 03/23/02 02:21 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Sorry, Geoff -- but you are not allowed to leave. Too many people enjoy you here... especially the ladies ...

[makes quick grab] [handcuffing Geoff to the bedpost -e]

Ladies, have at him!

#54166 03/23/02 07:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Geoff, now let me think, what can I do to bring a smile to that handsome face...aha! whisperwhisperpsst
There! Now, let's just draw the curtain...

#54167 03/23/02 11:00 PM
L
L
Sometimes I think of this place like a fun house full of doors, a door labeled library may take me down a passageway to the garden. I have learned about drippy windows and Australian culture(?) and many points in between.

I will say my favorite AWAD moment didn't happen on the board. But it was the board that got me in trouble. I had gone to the doctor at my husband's request and when I got home I checked out the board. I found a really funny quote and wrote it on a sticky pad that was handy. It happened to be one from the pharmacy (with a drug listed at the top ya know the free giveaway kind of sticky pad). My husband came home, found the note and thought it was for him. He read the note quickly, but not carefully, and couldn't believe my doctor would say such a thing to me. The quote; "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre," he muttered to himself, "and that I am therefore excused from saving universes." DA

#54168 03/24/02 03:16 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Hey Jackie, you hussy! I want some of that action! C'mere Geoff, lemme give you a big ole' hug, honey!

#54169 03/24/02 12:21 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It's not the Board, dear heart ... it's the winter weary blues that have you all discombobulated ... just hang in with us until the warm breezes blow .... meanwhile, get yourself a nice, big, many flavored, triple decker ice cream cone!
What you and those two hussies do with it is your business and nobody else's

#54170 03/25/02 10:30 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Geoff,

Sad and sick, huh? I can relate to days like those. But they pass, and that's the good of just putting one foot in front of the other.

There are names on this board that cause me always to read a little more closely--not that I want to exclude reading everybody with care, but, heh, we've all got limited focused reading time. Anyway, yours is one of the names that causes me to read your posts with care when I'm on a thread of interest to me. (I skip lots of threads--this one, for instance, fo a long time.)

Anyway, since you're not on the PM line, I thought I'd just go ahead and post outright here that I hope you're not serious about checking out--that it was just a sad day, and that things aren't as transient and tentative as you may have felt the other day.

Best regards,
Theresa

#54171 03/25/02 03:35 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
yours is one of the names that causes me to read your posts with care when I'm on a thread of interest to me.

Yes. What she said. Please stick around, Geoff-- I'd really hate to see you go.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith