Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#53843 - 01/28/02 12:38 PM Re: Xrefer Americanisms
Jazzoctopus Offline
old hand

Registered: 07/03/00
Posts: 1094
Loc: Cincinnati & Loveland, Ohio, U...
to say wallet you must use a high pitched voice.


#53844 - 01/28/02 01:35 PM Re: Xrefer Americanisms
musick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Registered: 12/24/00
Posts: 2661
Loc: Chicago
milum - I'm with JazzO on this one. (we are close to the same longitude).

The 'aw' and the 'eh' in wallet sound a slight bit more grave' together, especially given how acute I've heard *members of the 'upper states' pronounce 'bill'.

#53845 - 01/29/02 06:47 AM Re: Xrefer Americanisms
milum Offline
old hand

Registered: 09/03/01
Posts: 872
Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Dear Musick, JazzO, The rest of the world, etc...

Must I continually correct myself? I meant A figurative high pitched voice not a real high pitched voice.
I was going to say "...the whimpy nasal sound of the french..." but I didn't want to insult a whole nation.

Must I be scrutinized by every Tom, Dick, and Jazzo?


#53846 - 01/29/02 07:00 AM Re: Xrefer Americanisms
rkay Offline

Registered: 12/13/00
Posts: 144
Loc: London, UK
which leads to another oddity as the only 'transom' I had ever heard of before referred to the back of a boat.

#53847 - 01/29/02 07:29 AM Re: transom
maverick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Registered: 09/15/00
Posts: 4757
but a transom means merely a cross-beam, and from thence gets taken to apply to many individual features by association (boat transom, transom window, etc)

ps - I woke eh-nigma by mistake, and she likes 'transpacific' for transom

#53848 - 01/29/02 07:38 AM Re: transom
Rubrick Offline

Registered: 05/18/00
Posts: 679
Loc: Somewhere outside New York
but a transom means merely a cross-beam, and from thence gets taken to apply to many individual features
by association (boat transom, transom window, etc)

I worked in architecture, in a former life, and a transome (yes, there was an 'e' on the end for some reason) was the horizontal section of wood which bisected a window's sash. The vertical equivalent is a mullion. I've never heard of a transom window but I can guess that one above a door is so called for the divide between the window and door frames.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd rather NOT look it up.

#53849 - 01/29/02 09:55 AM Re: transom
duncan large Offline

Registered: 01/21/01
Posts: 96
Loc: Blackpool England
'round here we sometimes refer to a "gentleman of the road" as a Paraffin lamp ( tramp ) or just plain paraffin for short.

the Duncster
the Duncster

#53850 - 01/29/02 09:58 AM Re: transom v. fanlight
Faldage Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Registered: 12/01/00
Posts: 13803
So what *is a fanlight?

#53851 - 01/29/02 10:02 AM Re: transom
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Registered: 01/18/01
Posts: 13858
Forgive my pasting from my ten buck CD dictionary:
ran[som 7tran4s!m8
5LME traunsom, prob. altered < L transtrum, crossbeam, lit., that which is across < trans: see TRANS36
1 a crosspiece in a structure; specif., a) a lintel b) a horizontal crossbar across the top or middle of a window or the top of a door
>2 a small window or shutterlike panel directly over a door or window, usually hinged to the TRANSOM (sense 1b)
3 any crosspiece; specif., a) the horizontal beam of a gallows or cross b) any of the transverse beams attached to the sternpost of a wooden ship c) the transverse, aftermost part of a boat with a square stern
over the transom by unsolicited submission, as to a publisher: said of a manuscript, etc.

I did it mostly because I got a laugh out of the last phrase, about submitting a manuscript by throwing it through the transom window of the editor's locked door.

#53852 - 01/29/02 10:09 AM Re: transom
maverick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Registered: 09/15/00
Posts: 4757
tran·som (trăn'səm)

1a. A horizontal crosspiece over a door or between a door and a window above it.
b. A small hinged window above a door or another window.
2. A horizontal dividing bar of wood or stone in a window.
3.A lintel.
4. Nautical.
a. Any of several transverse beams affixed to the sternpost of a wooden ship and forming part of the stern.
b. The aftermost transverse structural member in a steel ship, including the floor, frame, and beam assembly at the sternpost.
c. The stern of a square-sterned boat when it is a structural member.
5. The horizontal beam on a cross or gallows.

[Middle English traunsom, probably alteration of Latin trānstrum, cross-beam, from trāns, across. See trans–.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.


Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8968 Members
16 Forums
13870 Topics
222527 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
Tatanka17, Marci, dorrick, thedesertsimmom, LostAuthor
8968 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
wofahulicodoc 56
LukeJavan8 40
may2point0 37
delirium 4
A C Bowden 1
DavidLaurence 1
Curtis 1
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11613
tsuwm 10538
LukeJavan8 8540
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
wofahulicodoc 6940
AnnaStrophic 6511
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2016 Wordsmith