Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Up by the Delaware Water Gap, down by Trenton, Wilmington, wherever. Get in free but pay to get out.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
...down by Trenton [...] Get in free but pay to get out.

When working in Somerville NJ, I attempted to save my employer about $13,000 a year by using an alternative haulier... I got a very worried call from the chief accountant, to the effect that "did I *really want to do that? ~ the current haulier has... connections. Of the Trenton kind."

I saved $13,000 another way, and didn't sleep wid da fishes

B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

everyone is willing to pay what ever it costs to get out of New Jersey!

It's like Buffalo NY. There seem to be any number of people who are from Buffalo, but I've never heard of anyone who moved to Buffalo. No wonder, after their last snowstorm. I can't figure out why the place isn't totally depopulated.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
``Who and what is Mr. Brope?'' demanded the aunt of Clovis suddenly.

Mrs. Riversedge, who had been snipping off the heads of defunct roses, and thinking of nothing in particular, sprang hurriedly to mental attention. She was one of those old-fashioned hostesses who consider that one ought to know something about one's guests, and that the something ought to be to their credit.

``I believe he comes from Leighton Buzzard,'' she observed by way of preliminary explanation.

``In these days of rapid and convenient travel,'' said Clovis, who was dispersing a colony of green-fly with visitations of cigarette smoke, ``to come from Leighton Buzzard does not necessarily denote any great strength of character. It might only mean mere restlessness. Now if he had left it under a cloud, or as a protest against the incurable and heartless frivolity of its inhabitants, that would tell us something about the man and his mission in life.''
(Saki, The Secret Sin of Septimus Brope)

Presumably the same applies to those who come from Buffalo.

Bingley

Bingley
A
addict
addict
A
It's like Buffalo NY. There seem to be any number of people who are from Buffalo, but I've never heard of anyone who moved to Buffalo. No wonder, after their last snowstorm. I can't figure out why the place isn't totally depopulated.

Born and raised here in Buffalo, but then you knew this would get my goat! Some of us love the snow. We have wonderful skiing and snowmobiling here. Some of us embrace rather than complain about the weather here. I have visited many places, but have never found another I would want to call my home. The summers are cooled by the breeze off Lake Erie. The snow is deposited in our snowbelt area for winter festivals and outdoor activities. It's a wonderful place to live. We have a melting pot of cultures here and some of the finest take out food in the world. It's my home and I choose to stay here, as do many around here. Many leave the city, but many more return when they realize there is nothing as good as being here.

And as far as the snowstorm...we got over 7 feet of snow in three days. It took us a grand total of 3 days of snow removal and all industry was up and running again. My brother moved back here from the D.C. area because he got tired of the area completely shutting down because there was an inch of snow on the ground. Oh, gee, Bobby, my brother used to live near you!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
to come from [Buffalo NY] does not necessarily denote any great strength of character.

Unless, of course, they are Buffalo Bills fans! (they of the Four Lost Superbowls) I think persevering through that kind of disappointment is a real credit to their character!

A
addict
addict
A
Unless, of course, they are Buffalo Bill's fans! (they of the Four Lost Superbowls) I think persevering through that kind of disappointment is a real credit to their character!

My cheer is, "Go Bills and take the Sabres with you!"

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
being from NYC-- i do have the tendency to see the rest of the US as well, really pretty country, but not really having any other world class cities..

buffalo, NY -- poor thing, suffers from a very bad reputation. Not all of it deserved.

Early on, water falls were used for electricity generation, and being a hop, skip and jump from niagra, buffalo was one of the first cities in US with electricity..it had more electric lights than NYC for a while..

it had its own "world fair" --and the world came! to see all the new products and services to be made with cheap electric power.

like the first few years in Australia, when the blue mountians seemed to define the edge of the world, in early US history, the appalachians created a road block to western expantion. there were very few passes.. and the one that existed, became well known, the delaware gap (NY/NJ/Pennsylvania) and the Cumberland gap

Into this, stepped De Witt Clinton.. and his great ditch..
NY state dug a 300 or so mile canal, connecting the great lakes with NYC. as sparteye pointed out, this lead to a lot of former NYers moving to Michigan.

it also put buffalo at one end of the canal.. goods moved from lake vessels to canal vessels.. buffalo became the great western port of NY-- a gateway to the west..

mind you, it doesn't hold a candle to NYC-but as it is a surprisingly cosmopolitan city..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But very iffy road signage. Sandra and I came across the bridge from Canada into Buffalo and promptly got buffaloed as to how to get out of the city. The signs after the toll plaza said one thing, and we turned in that direction. And that was the last sign we saw. Took a few turns round the city centre to get us on the right road out of town. Seven feet of snow would have probably made it ever so slightly more difficult ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#53724 01/30/02 11:02 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Seven feet of snow would have probably made it ever so slightly more difficult ...

True! But CapK, why were you trying to get OUT of Buffalo? You should have stopped at the Anchor Bar for some great, original, chicken NOT Buffalo wings. Or at Swiston's for a Beef on Weck.[drooling-e]

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 723 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith