Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#53452 01/22/02 11:09 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Certainly the first settlers in US called wheat "corn". But the Indian maize planted in hills could produce a lot of food in fields not yet cleared of stones and stumps and thus unsuitable for growing wheat. And each family could grind its own maize far more readily than they could wheat. So maize predominated until "corn" meant maize.

#53453 01/22/02 11:48 PM
D
addict
addict
D
Faldage: I see no difference between Silver Pigs and The Silver Pigs
Without knowing what the silver pigs are...
Try this. Conceptualise a silver pig. Now think of a few more and you have Silver Pigs. Now show me a particular herd of silver pigs, and you have The Silver Pigs. Maybe there is an assumption of definity (can I ® that) in the US which negates the need for "The".

What I don't understand is the reader's problem with "ears of corn". It actually makes more sense to me using the American definition than the British. An "ear of corn" is a common term, easily visualised, and made into headwear with not much difficulty. I have never heard the term ear of wheat nor can I imagine how an ear of wheat would look. Weaving the headwear out of wheat defeats the stupidity (and corniness) of the idea.

#53454 01/23/02 01:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Conceptualise a silver pig. Now think of a few more and you have Silver Pigs. Now show me a particular herd of silver pigs, and you have The Silver Pigs.

How one can tell whether a group of pigs is a herd or just a bunch of randomly collected pigs is beyond me unless it requires an intimate knowledge of pig social dynamics that I feel I would prefer to keep beyond me.

the reader's problem with "ears of corn". It actually makes more sense to me using the American definition than the British. An "ear of corn" is a common term, easily visualised, and made into headwear with not much difficulty.

Once again you baffle me. Ears of maize run about 6 to 12 inches long, are 2 to 3 inches in diameter and nowhere near flexible enough to form into headgear. But that aside, imagining a bunch of Flavian Romans mounting an expedition across the Ocean Stream to a totally unknown land to get the raw material for these headdresses boggles the mind.

#53455 01/23/02 02:04 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I didn't know until just now that the "ear" of corn is totally unrelated to hearing organ.

#53456 01/23/02 02:30 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"It caused a lot of illness, including perforated stomach linings because, as we all know
today, maize is not broken down by the human gut without considerable pre-processing.
And even where it didn't cause sickness it still didn't provide much nitrition because it
wasn't digested properly"

The aborigines in Massachusetts had no trouble with corn. I have seen the stones they ground maize on, with dinnerplate sized depressions in a stone of suitable flatness and hardness. I do not know how they cooked it, since they apparently did not have pottery. My guess would be that they made little cakes of moistened ground meal on a small flat stone placed near the fire. I have never heard of digestive problems such as CK mentions. The Indians also grew beans, which together with maize have a desirable balance of proteins and vitamins. I would guess they also had to crush the beans.

#53457 01/23/02 02:54 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
To be honest, I don't see why she would be in such a snit about translating.

If her book is to be sold in France or Spain won't it be translated into French and Spanish. Ah, I can see it now, everybody nodding and saying, "of course, it's a different language."

Now, look back over all the time you have been on this Board. It is an undeniable fact that English can vary greatly from one continent to an other. So it is English - but an English different enough to make certain passages of her book unintelligible.

"Look it up," she says. Well, doesn't it follow that she would look it up in an England/English dictionary whereas the reader would look it up in an American/English dictionary and therefore might not get the same definition.

If she would not bat an eye at a French translation I think it is plainly antagonistic not to translate it to American English, or NZ or Australian English for that matter. The markets are big enough.

You cannot argue "creative stifling" Her creativity is being negated by the fact that the Americans don't know what she is saying. You can't appreciate something you don't understand.

The reaction is that of a spoiled writer, crossing her arms and saying "we speak the correct English, you guys just better tow the line and get an education" (as seen in her LIU quote). But it is not the correct English - just a different one.

Let her book sales die in the Americas and then she if she hums the same tune.

I believe the same holds true for American, and any other, writers. They should consider the markets they sell to and translate accordingly.

#53458 01/23/02 04:00 AM
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
To spare Faldage's anti-porcine sentiments, I should point out that the pigs in question are ingots of silver.

For more information (alas unillustrated) about the Arval Brethren and their headgear see:
later edit (url shortened courtesy of Max)
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N45A5225
Sorry about the long url. If somebody gives me the url for Max's url shortener, I'll try that.

Bingley

Bingley
#53459 01/23/02 04:24 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#53460 01/23/02 01:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Kieva has taken issue with the idea that corn is the common grain of the place, pointing out that is chiefly a british defination-- making the point, that even simple words like corn could cause confusion between american readers and british! as CK points out, during the famine, importing and exporting grain from ireland was regulated by the Corn Laws-- and there is no one corn in the UK, since as Samuel Johnson noted-- Oats are something that are fed to horse in England, but feed the people in Scotland...

Corn meanwhile goes back to:
ENTRY:          g-no
DEFINITION: Grain. Oldest form *-no-, becoming *g-no- in centum languages.
1a. corn1, from Old English corn, grain; b. kernel, from Old English
derivative noun cyrnel, seed, pip; c. einkorn, from Old High German
korn, grain. a–c all from Germanic *kornam. 2. garner, garnet, grain,
gram2, granadilla, granary, grange, grani-, granita, granite, granule,
grenade, grenadine; filigree, grosgrain, pomegranate, from Latin
grnum, grain. (In Pokorny er- 390.)

(from Bartleby's too)

and bingley's points out the pigs in question are ignots-- which makes perfect sense now that i think about it, but i have only heard of pig iron which was the raw iron an a black smith might buy as stock-- and use to form into what ever. Black smiths where not smelters.. they didn't extract the iron from the ore, they just worked pig iron that they purchased. i thought of bringing it up a few weeks ago, when we had our pig/boar/sow, etc.. thread but it seems to way off tangent--but its nice to see it coming up here..
any know why its pig iron?

#53461 01/23/02 02:09 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I was suprised to read this, and upon LIU have my doubts.

I agree, Helen. Can’t see there is a lot of discussion about it, Keiva – even the AHD refers to the word’s etymology as [Middle English, grain, from Old English.]

It may be only ”chiefly British”, but the UK has had some influence on the development of the English language, and it is the wider meaning current outside the USA which also has given us such formations as ‘cornloft’ for granary, ‘corn-law’ relating to grain imports, and even ‘corn-rig’ from Scotland meaning a strip of ground on which oats are grown.

My trusty old Chambers offers this for the noun: a grain, hard particle: a kernel, small hard seed: collectively seeds of cereal plants, or the plants themselves: esp. (in England) wheat, (in Scotland and Ireland) oats, (in N America) maize… and adds v.t. to make granular: to sprinkle with grains of salt… which adds to the etymological baggage to do with granularity.

Of course, the prevalence of Merkin Kulcha has widened the currency of the narrow meaning…

and speaking of widening, Helen PLEASE edit that post!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,335
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 487 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith