Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
#52843 01/19/02 03:52 AM
old hand
old hand
stales -

I'm intrigued. At the equivalent of US$.71 a pack, what would the postage be like to send me some to try, and do you take PayPal? Particularly with ot's innuendo-riddled advocacy of a long stiff one on a hot day... sounds like it's worth a try. *Plus* it would make for a great book report for http://www.bad-candy.com.

D
addict
addict
D
WO'N asks Is that the correct date?

Well, the year is right. I always thought the date was Jan 26, but I could be wrong. Oh for some patriotism in education.

#52845 01/20/02 04:16 AM
A
addict
addict
A
I'll just remind you that I characterized it as "musk as in muskrat"...

Actually, upon further investigation, I have discovered that musk comes from the musk deer.

musk, noun: a substance having a penetrating odor, obtained from a sac (musk bag) on the abdomen of the male musk deer

#52846 01/20/02 04:24 AM
old hand
old hand
Dear All

stales and all his family continue to be amazed at your reaction to musksticks (it's really 2 words, but we say it as one - "musstix")

For those that want the first hand experience, there's a strong chance that belligerentyouth will be attending the Wordapalooza. As he's here in Perth it should be a cinch to give him some packets to take along. And some musk Life Savers! Will keep you informed.

There's another variety of musk sweet I haven't mentioned - and they're great because you buy them by the kilogram/pound at the local shops. They're sometimes marketed as "Life Saver holes" because they are little cylindrical bullets about the diameter of the hole in a Life Saver. I should send a bag of these as well.

As for those of you who won't be attending, I'd be happy to send you a packet each. Please email me to discuss how/when.

Fiberbabe, I thought you needed a new currency calculator - thought your post read A$1.39 = US$1.73. The A$ is currently trading at around 52 cents US, thus a packet costing A$1.39 is worth around US73cents. You had me all excited for a minute - thinking that there was a dollar out there somewhere that was worth less than ours!

As for the taste - well.......it tastes of musk.

The pic URL given by wof... shows that they indeed look like licorice sticks. The pink colour persists all the way through and they are not sugar coated. Their texture when they've gone a bit soggy is drier (and a lot less chewy) than licorice - pretty similar to the thick white sugary icing on our traditional (fruit cake based) wedding cakes. (I believe US wedding cakes are often a white sponge???)

Yours in Incredulity

stales

#52847 01/20/02 07:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You had me all excited for a minute - thinking that there was a dollar out there somewhere that was worth less than ours!

Ahem. Capital Kiwi

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#52848 01/20/02 08:15 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#52849 01/20/02 10:00 AM
old hand
old hand
You have real currency? Dollars? I thought youse were still trading paua shells. The things you learn at AWAD.

stales

#52850 01/20/02 11:43 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, stales old chappie, here's something else: Cricket. Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!

I'm surprised at the vehemence of Lions supporters' dislike of the Wallabies. I was wearing an All Blacks rugby jersey when I was out getting totally bladdered last Thursday, and a number of people - instead of hitting me - commented that they hoped the All Blacks would cream the Wallabies this season. Well, we do live in hopes.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
old hand
old hand
WO'N - here's your answer...

"Australia Day (26 January) commemorates the arrival of Captain Arthur Phillip and the First Fleet at Port Jackson, later renamed Sydney Cove, on 26th January,1788 after leaving England on 13th May 1787. On the day of his arrival, Captain Arthur Phillip proclaimed the area to be a British possesion, naming it New South Wales. This landing started the first permanent European settlement in Australia. The fleet consisted of two warships, the Sirius and the Supply, and nine merchantment. There are said to have been 564 male and 192 female convicts, 450 crew with civil and military personnel appointed to official duties,28 wives and 30 children, of whom 15 belonged to the convicts.

Australia Day is a holiday throughout Australia. Traditionally the celebrations include flag-raising and commemorative events, a 21 gun salute, regattas and parades. More recently the event has been marked by naturalization and citizenship ceremonies and the presentation of Australia Day Citizen and Young Citizen Awards. There are also concerts, theatrical productions, fireworks and a variety of other events including a carnival in Canberra."

Captain James Cook "discovered" and mapped the east coast of Australia in 1770 in the bark "Endeavour".

Growing up on the east coast in a strongly British dominated system this was about the depth of it - "the Brits did it all, the Brits are good", colonial sort of stuff. No mention of the Portuguese (and probably the Dutch) who knew the place was here well over a hundred years before Cook but chose to do nothing with their knowledge.

I used quotes on discovered because it also is a Colonial thing. The aboriginal people had been here for 60,000 years and weren't lost at all. Matter of fact, I think they did a damn fine job keeping this place to themselves for all that time. Sharing it with Europeans only stuffed things up for them.

stales

old hand
old hand
stales ~

Didn't mean to cause confusion on the currency conversion - I found an online converter, so I felt pretty sure about its accuracy, I just neglected to put in the zero for clarity. Heretofore, please read "At the equivalent of US$.71 a pack..." as "At the equivalent of US$0.71 a pack..." The decimal was in there to begin with, I promise.

I'm glad that your family has garnered some amusement from this! I consider it on par with having grown up in a Norwegian household and not being able to fathom that there are people in the world who don't know about lutefisk and lefse.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 930 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith