- Half-assed answers: $3
- Correct answers: $10 and up
- Dumb looks are still free.

G
old hand
old hand
G
"Tell that dog to lay down."

There's nothing wrong with this sentence! You've just misinterpreted it. The dog has feathers, and he's going to apply said feathers to the floor, wall, or some other spot, as a bricklayer would lay bricks. There, Dub Dub, don't you feel better now?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The "lie"/"lay" argument only holds good in the US. No one in my part of the world (either of them) would ever say "I'm going to lay down". Just ain't natcharule.

Anyway, back to Helen's original question. The problem is that "Can I ask you a question?" is a closed question in itself. There are only three possible answers (staying away from facetious responses): "Yes", "No" and ... silence.

The one I like, because it plays straight into my hands (rub, rub, evil leer), is "Are you free?".

What kind of a question is that? Still, it's asked all the time. I have a set of responses which I trot out depending on circumstances:

"No." That one is a real show-stopper and when used leads to consternation on the part of the questioner, because s/he generally doesn't know what to say next.

"Of course. Slavery was abolished long before I was born." This one generally results in nervous titters. If I think it's appropriate , I then add "But I sold out and became a wage slave anyway." At this point the interlocutor quite often gives up. This is generally my intention.

"No, of course not. D'you think I don't get paid for this crap?" Accompanied by holding your hand out, of course. I've actually had one woman reach into her purse at that point ...

"No, it cost me too much to get my body into this shape not to want some payback." Those of you who have met me will understand the confusion this engenders.

And lots of variations. Try it, especially in a work situation. My boss once asked me if I was free, and I asked him if that meant there was no paycheck at the end of the month.

You gotta find your fun where you can, don't you?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Geoff writes: Tell that dog to lay down.

...and, finally!, I understand what they've been saying around here all these years! Thank you, thank you, Geoff! I have seen the light--fluffy feathers.

Best regards,
DubDub, who is goin to lie down on this one, heart at ease.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
"Tell that dog to lay down."
Geoff says, "The dog has feathers, and he's going to apply said feathers ... as a bricklayer would lay bricks."

I see, Geoff. Query: when a woman tells you, "Down, boy!", do you understand that to be an invitational reference to the materials in her pillow or featherbed?

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
The one I like, because it plays straight into my hands (rub, rub, evil leer), is "Are you free?"

A response potentially in a different direction is, "No, but I'm worth every penny."

Nothing is as expensive as a woman who's free for the evening.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Boy howdy! I just shudder to think what y'all'd say if someone was so rude as to ask you, "How do you do?"

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I just shudder to think what y'all'd say if someone was so rude as to ask you, "How do you do?"

Faldage, I'm unsure to whom were you referring, but it appears you were wondering how CK would respond to said rude inquiry. If so, you may perhaps find a clue in CK's recent announcement that his personal credo is, "Do unto others as they would do unto you. But do it first ..."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it appears you were wondering how CK would respond to said rude inquiry

It was directed in general at all who would take offense at what is merely a bit of social lubrication.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was directed in general at all who would take offense at what is merely a bit of social lubrication.

Oh, I don't take offence (if this was directed in any way at all at me) when people ask me if I'm free. I just, as I said at the end of my post, enjoy the opportunities that arise in my life ...

And the credo bit - well, you can take it two ways, you know? I do.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,399
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 325 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,577
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith