About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#50900 12/29/01 04:16 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Pan Bimbo? Is that what Barbie eats fer her supper?

GT

#50901 12/29/01 05:14 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
While I share the general opinion of Wonder Bread, I have to report that we learned of a good use for the stuff.

John Shields, a Maryland chef, who has a show on Public TV about Maryland food, demonstrated how to make crabcakes using Wonder Bread. Nearly every crabcake recipe includes bread in some form, either cubes of fresh bread or crumbs or maybe cracker meal, not too much for a really good crabcake, but you have to have some to hold it together; otherwise it will fall apart while being cooked.

John's method calls for the use of Wonder Bread, fresh, in fairly large cubes (about 3/4 inch), perhaps a half dozen in a large (tennis-ball size) crabcake. The wondrous thing is that when the crabcake is cooked, either by frying or broiling, the breadcubes do perform their function of holding the cake together, but they disappear! They melt, or something, in the cooking process. You wind up with an intact crabcake which doesn't appear or taste like it has any bread at all in it, just pure crabmeat and flavorings. Best recipe we have ever used. We buy a loaf of Wonder Bread, use maybe 3 slices for crabcakes and throw the rest away.

#50902 12/29/01 11:39 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, crab cakes it is then! And, as Sparteye has clearly noted and quoted:

(Builds Strong Bodies Twelve Ways; look for the blue, yellow and red balloons)

#50903 12/29/01 11:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
when I spell checked this, AEnigma decided to erase it.

I don't think it's Ænigma, I think it's your browser. Ours (Netscape 4.77) is doing it all the time. I've had it do the same when going into preview; if I want to change something before posting sometimes I'll go back and there's nothing there. I copy onto the clipboard before I do something like that that might wipe it.

#50904 12/29/01 12:26 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
sometimes I'll go back and there's nothing there.
Another solution is to retrieve what's lost by hitting the browser's "forward" button.
The advantage is that you don't have to do it every time (only when you suffer a wipe-out); but the disadvantage is that you'll get, and have to manually correct, whatever changes the spell-check or preview made to your text. Seems to me faldage's method is better, unless you only have this problem once in a great while.

#50905 12/29/01 09:50 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
So, was there yeast in Wonder Bread (or currently in Wonder Bread)? All air rising? A second cousin of cotton candy? Or is there unfulfilled yeast in Wonder Bread?

I think you'll find yeast listed as an ingredient. The crucial point is that the manufacturer does not permit the bread dough the time to let the yeast reproduce and rise the bread; rather, it beats the dough to integrate air into it.

And Dr Bill, whatever bleaching chemical was outlawed did not preclude the bleaching of flour. A lot -- most? -- white flours in the US are chemically bleached. One flour which is not is Robin Hood. http://www.robinhood.ca/

#50906 12/30/01 03:43 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
white flour has been around for ages--at least since the middle ages. it was, up until very recently, very expensive.
first you had to hull the wheat, and remove the germ. then you ground the endosperm of the wheat, and aged the flour. it would naturally whiten with age.

whole wheat flour, has the hull, and the germ. the wheat germ adds nutrients, but it also is rich in oil. the oil goes rancid fairly quicly, so if you age whole wheat flour, it goes bad. most commercial whole wheat flours suggest you refridgerate or freeze flour that will not be use in a month-- and most have some preseratives to help keep the natural oil from going rancid.

stone ground flours keep a bit longer, since the stone never get as hot at the the steel grinder in modern high speed mills. keeping the wheat germ oil cool, helps preserve it.

bleaching flour can be done with chemicals (fumes) or with time, or.. (i forget.. Light?) in any case "unbleached" flours haven't been aged to whiteness, they use the third method. it doesn't include any thing (chemical, additive), but does get the flour whiter faster than aging. since there is nothing added, the process for legal purposes, is considered "Unbleached".

#50907 12/30/01 02:04 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
For the best baking, King Arthur Flour.

#50908 01/01/02 12:51 AM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
[confusion of English mythological characters] You are right, of course, wow. That's what I meant to say when I mentioned Robin Hood. [/confusion]

http://ww3.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html

#50909 01/01/02 11:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It may be the browser, but it's not unique to Nutscrape. Exploser does it too. Only happens on the Board, so I think it's yet another quirk of the system. But hey, let's not complain. Anu provides it all at exactly the right price.

But it would be nice if he was prepared to entertain offers of hosting from other providers, I guess. Not that I know he isn't prepared to do this. Improved access and reliability would be great, and would be worth something (monetarily) to me, at least.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 917 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith