Carpal Tunnel
M

G
old hand
old hand
G
she heard it from a professor of pathology

Well, he was pathological, wasn't he!

The original joke involving Holmes and Watson made the rounds in the US of A with The Lone Ranger and Tonto as the characters.

Another parrot joke for Jackie:

A linguist who was convinced that parrots could understand human speech spent many years training his parrot to understand several hundred English words, but could never get coherent syntax from him. Just as he was ready to admit failure, the parrot squawked, "Look out, the cieling's falling!" Sure enough, a large chunk of cieling came crashing down upon the linguist, striking him dead. The parrot looked down, then said to himself, "Sheesh, he spends ten years teaching me to talk, then when I do, does he listen? Nooooo."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh Max-- I'm with faldage-- its horrible, and i still laughed my head off..

in NY, there is a similar -- but lest sinister joke.

three elderly woman are sitting enjoy an sunny afternoon on a park bench. they sit in near silence. One women gently sighs.. time passes.. another of them woman, gently shakes her head, and softest little tsk passes her lips.. more time passes.. and finally the third woman offers up the a small prayer, "please god"-- so soft, its almost under here breath.. and then, the first woman, looks at the other two, and says, "I'm sorry, i shouldn't have started it.. after all we agreed, today we weren't going to talk about the kids".

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Max! Congratulations on carpeling!

#50670 12/25/01 01:53 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

#50671 12/31/01 12:48 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Oooh, parrot jokes! I know there are other good ones out there--anybody got any? (hint)
Believe it or not, "parrot jokes" googles to fully 470 hits -- some people have too much time on their hands!

A personal favorite is word-related, for it requires yiddish; the oft-told english punchline is IMHO far inferior. The yiddish word chachma literally means wisdom or a wise act, but more often is used with sarcastic derision. (Just as the english wise guy, though literally complementary, is a derisive term.)

A magician, on a cruise ship, regularly had his routines ruined by the onboard parrot, who would fly around squawking out his secrets. "IT'S UP HIS SLEEVE!", the parrot would squawk, or "IT'S BEHIND THE SCREEN!", or "THERE'S A FALSE BOTTOM!"

One night during a frightful storm at sea, the magician was giving the performance of his life in an attempt to distract the frightened passengers -- subject to he parrot's usual interference. Suddenly a tremendous wave smashed the ship in two, and all found themselves thrashing in the water, in chaos. As the magician clung to a scrap of wood for dear life, the parrot eventually drifted by him in the random currents. The parrot, fixing a skeptical eye upon him, asked disdainfully:

yiddish version: So tell me, vas dis trick chachma?
english version: OK, I give up. What did you do with the ship?

#50672 12/31/01 01:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Never heard it in Yiddish before but I have heard the English version. It took me a while to get it in Yiddish but I think I do prefer it that way. It could be done better in English, though. Maybe, "Do you think that was a smart thing to do?" Or something like that.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Love the joke, Max! Never knew you had it in you! (such deviance, I mean)
The Holmes joke is good, but just a chuckler on my laugh meter. Here's one of my all-time favorites: Rated R, thus in white (this makes sure everybody reads it!):

Q: What did Jeffrey Dahmer say to Loreena Bobbitt?

A: Mmmmmmm...you gonna eat dat?

And here's a cute one, especially for tsuwm, that I just heard the other day:

Why is the word "dictionary" in the freakin' dictionary?

#50674 12/31/01 07:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[NOTE: One obscenity follows ...]

A minister wanted to buy his wife something unusual for her birthday. On impulse, he ducked into a pet shop to have a look at the animals, thinking that a pet would be a good present.

But although he looked at every animal in the shop, he couldn't see anything which he thought would be anything other than a nuisance after the first few days. He discussed the situation with the pet shop owner.

"Is your wife religious?" the owner asked.

"Oh, she's very pious," the minister replied, "she goes to church more often than I do. She's quite saintly, in fact."

"Well then," the pet shop owner said, "I may have just the thing. Hang on a minute." And he went out the back and came back with a motley-looking parrot in a tatty-looking cage. The only unusual thing about it was that there was a piece of string dangling from each of the parrot's legs.

"Noooo, I don't think so," the minister said. "It doesn't look very attractive." The parrot hunched up on its perch and went to sleep.

"Wait, wait," the owner said, "It's special. See those two strings?" The minister nodded.

"Well, if you tug the one on its left leg, it sings 'Onward Christian Soldiers'. If you pull the string on its right leg, it sings 'There is a Green Hill Far Away'. How's that?"

The minister was intrigued. "Show me," he said.

The pet shop owner opened the cage door and gently tugged on the string on the parrot's left leg. The parrot woke up and sang every verse of "Onward Christian Soldiers" in key and with perfect timing and diction. The minister was impressed. "And the other one?" he asked.

The owner reached into the cage again and tugged the string on the parrot's right leg. The parrot did a perfect rendition of "There is a Green Hill Far Away".

"I'll take it!" the minister cried, "It's the perfect gift for my lovely wife!"

So he took the parrot home and showed to his wife immediately, because he couldn't think of a way to hide it until that Sunday, which was her birthday. He went through the routine with her, showing her how it sang hymns when you tugged on the strings. She clapped her hands in delight and kissed her proud hubby.

"Oh, it's just the most perfect birthday present I've ever had, sweetheart!" she cooed. Then she stopped and thought for a minute and asked him: "And what happens if you pull both strings together?"

The parrot declared: "I fall off the fucking perch, you dumb bitch!"

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#50675 12/31/01 07:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay, Jackie, here's another ...

A man inherited a parrot from his estranged uncle. He wasn't sure he wanted a parrot, but he thought he'd try living with it for a while and see how things went.

The parrot duly arrived and its cage was installed in the living room. For the first day it didn't say anything at all, and the man was beginning to think that maybe a parrot wasn't such a bad idea after all. But the next morning it began to swear. Not just mild curses, but deep-seated obsenities of a gynaecological and penile nature. It asked questions about the man's parentage as well as suggesting that he didn't know anything about it.

And it didn't stop. It got worse. It would swear loudly whenever the man was in the room, and would practice quietly to itself when he wasn't. After a week, the man was becoming desperate. He'd tried to teach it to say the normal things like "Polly want a cracker?", and it told him where to shove the cracker. He asked the parrot "Who's a pretty boy, then?" And the parrot would reply "Not me, you ____!" and then tell him where to buy pretty boys if he was so ____ _____, ____ keen to have one.

It came to a head about eight days after the parrot arrived. The man's aging mother was due to arrive for dinner. She never swore herself and was quite vocal in her contempt for the intellectual abilities of people who did so. Obviously, he had to stop the parrot from swearing. He tried putting the parrot in different rooms, in the garden shed, in the attic, in the garage, but no matter where he put it, you could hear the swearing quite clearly from the lounge and dining room.

Finally, in absolute panic a few minutes before his mother was due to arrive, he grabbed the parrot by the throat and threw it into the freezer. For a couple of minutes the swearing reached new heights of inventiveness and the parrot managed to plumb new depths of invective and abuse.

Then all of a sudden it stopped. Deathly silence. Nada.

After a few minutes of this, the man's conscience began to prick at him. It wasn't the parrot's fault after all; the uncle hadn't brought it up correctly, that was all. Freezing to death was a cruel way to die, wasn't it? Eventually he found he had to open the freezer door, expecting find a corpse. But while the parrot had a light coating of frost on its feathers, it seemed quite healthy and hopped out of the freezer and on to the man's shoulder, nuzzling up to his neck.

"Okay, old boy," the parrot said, "Fair's fair. I'll be a model of decorum from now on. I'll recite Gray's 'Elegy' and tell morally uplifting stories for your mother. I'll even say 'Polly want a cracker' if you really insist. You win."

The man was nonplussed but delighted. He went and got parrot treats from the cupboard and gave them to the bird, who picked them over rather than wolfing them down, appearing to be thinking deeply.

Finally the parrot looked up as if it wanted to say something but couldn't quite think how to put it. Then it asked: "By the way, old man, what did the chicken do?"

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 678 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith