About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I first heard this reported on the E! channel two days ago, but was waiting for another source to confirm it in more detail...so here it is:

Elijah Wood, the actor starring as Frodo in The Fellowship of the Ring never read The Tolkien Trilogy!!!

He was quoted in USA Weekend, a Sunday newspaper supplement in the U.S., as follows:
Q: Had you read Tolkien before this?
Wood: "I'd read The Hobbit. I'd owned Lord of the Rings for ages but I'd never actually gotten around to reading it.
Q: Shame on you! Most Tolkien fans can recite his work nearly word-by-word.
Wood: But I was a big fan of The Hobbit! So I was quite familiar with Tolkien's work in that way beforehand.

WHAT! First of all, as an actor, this drives me up the wall...why would you not want to do your homework after signing for a part like this, and absorbing eveything you can about the character's background, especially Tolkien's vision thereof? Why didn't the producers and director insist, upon signing, that the entire cast read the triliogy...elementary, no? Unless the director feels he's such a masterful interpreter of Tolkien's work that he can impart that vision to the cast with his unique prowess.
But I haven't heard that mentioned anywhere so I don't believe this to be the case.

Thankfully, the movie is getting a fabulous buzz in previews, most saying it's superb! (and after that forgettable 70's animation bomb the story needed somebody to do it justice on film...if that's possible).
But I don't get these spoiled, lazy (and overpaid) actors today...let's see, we'll just "wing" Frodo in The Lord of the Rings, I don't need to know what Tolkien, the creator of the character had to say. Who needs subtext?
And, then, of course the message from all the interviews he gives on this will be "don't bother reading the book, it's not important if the movie's good."

If someone can help pacify me on this matter, please do...I still, however, plan to see the movie with open arms (but a bit more critical of Wood's performance/interpretation). And I can understand procrastinating over a long read (see our longest books discourse), but once you're signed to do the part, dammit!, read the book!

J
old hand
old hand
J
I've been keeping up on the movies with interviews and the various websites, so I'll say something.

He said that though he hadn't read LotR before casting, he started reading it during filming and that he's almost done now. Also, for auditions, he said that he bought a book about hobbits? and made a tape of himself with some of his friends in the hills of Hollywood acting out hobbit parts, so he obviously did some research beforehand about the part.

The fact that Elijah Wood is playing Frodo was a big deal early on, but more recently people have been annoyed by the fact that they've significantly increased the role of Arwen (Liv Tyler) to create a bit of a romance between her and Aragorn and to make it so the whole story isn't all males.

I was more interested myself about how Wood has developed a non-American accent because he spent 16 months in New Zealand with primarily British actors.

#50034 12/16/01 07:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...If someone can help pacify me on this matter... I'll lend you some *earmuffs if you'd like...

As a musician, I have often showed up to a gig and had to sight-read all of the charts...

#50035 12/16/01 07:55 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
we heard him say Nyu Zealand, not, as USns are wont to, Noo Zealand. How long his [expletive deleted]  [/expletive deleted] speech patterns last is anybody's guess.

Don't worry, Max. He's young. He turns twenty one the end of next month. He'll probably get over it in a few months when he returns to a civilized part of the world.

#50037 12/17/01 12:23 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If someone can help pacify me on this matter, please do...
Sweet WO'N, how generous you are, in wanting to endow Elijah with the same conscientiousness that you would bring to this job. Obviously you are a person who accepts it as a given that you will do your utmost, and go the extra mile. I have a feeling that he is not of the same persuasion, more's the pity. The world would be a better place if there were more people like you in it, my friend.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
he's coming back here?

Max! You're in Iowa? You should have said something! Have you visited Grundy Center yet? I understand it's beautiful this time of year. It's only a couple of hours from Cedar Rapids if the snow's not too thick.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well. Elijah Wood didn't read the books. Is this so terrible? Let's apply some critical thinking here, folks. It's my understanding that Frodo didn't read the books either. Can we require the actor to do something that the character didn't do?

#50041 12/17/01 05:46 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i dunno, i think not having ever read the book might help an actor.. since he or she would be free to act the part as the screen writer and or director wants it done.. it might not be true to the book.. but what's new about that? i know LotR's lovers want it to be totally true to the book.. but its not...

when i was a teen, my sister got to see The Sound of Music on B'way... i was so envious. my mother suggested i read the book --the von trapp family singers i think it was called... well, i have to believe the person who did the script for the play never read the book either.. marie von trapp might not have become a nun, but her book was as religious a tract as i ever read.. i would have rather spent my days saying the rosery rather than reading her prayers.. and the book was full of prayers.. the show, and the movie on the other hand, were light hearted.. and had song.. it would take a real leap of faith to go from maria's book to hit musical.. but if you just had a synopsis, young, lonely girl, who thinks about joining the religious live, mets stern, also very regilious widower, and his kids.. family sings and prays together, and stays together.. it sounds like a great story, and it is..

as i recall, the movie ends at what is the mid point of the book. the book details the family's efforts, crossing the alps, in late september, on foot, hiding from german forces looking for them, the difficulties getting to swizterland, and finally is settled in Vermont.. a lot more prayer was involved.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
we would not require Mr Woods[sic] to breathe

And neither would we forbid him from breathing. To me it would seem to be the director's call. The actor is free to turn down any role that he cannot in all honesty take due to what he consider unacceptable restrictions or requirements.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ahem. Let me launch into why I think Peter Jackson's effort is deeply flawed. No ... I won't bore you with that. Besides, one my main beeves - the Arwen/Aragorn thingie and therefore taking the emphasis away from the quest itself - has already been mentioned.

However, one small aspect is his selection of youths of hermaphroditic mien as hobbits. Hobbits weren't, in Tolkien's view, short, slender people with angelic (sic) looks. They were about the same size as dwarves (the fictional kind, not "little people") but were ... different. They were rough and ready in appearance. They were hairy. They were not fair-skinned. He took as his model the English peasant in terms of culture, names and language, for the most part.

Flawed, flawed, flawed!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
J
old hand
old hand
J
Hobbits weren't, in Tolkien's view, short, slender people with angelic (sic) looks.

I don't think that's really how they're portraying them in the movie. They used blue screens throughout the movie to make the hobbits and dwarves the right height and, for at least one clip I saw, they made Wood look quite a bit chubbier than he actually is. They also had them wear dirty, hairy hobbit feet and other things to make them look less human.

About the Arwen story, I'm aware that it's in the appendix, but it goes beyond that. I read a new clip on iWon.com in which someone said that the movie expands her character from merely sitting next to her father at the council table to basically saving Frodo from the Ringwraiths before he gets to Rivendell. The man says that this lessens Frodo's development as a heroic figure just to gain more female viewers.

I'm not too concerned, though. It's a movie so it's supposed to be a little different. I'm still excited to see it Wednesday

#50046 12/17/01 10:59 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#50047 12/21/01 02:46 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
but I liked it.

I have to agree, Max. I just saw it tonight and was largely impressed with the treatment. Well done! I have to say I'm looking forward to the next. In fact, I found myself sitting there at the end perfectly willing to sit there for at least a good hour more!

And I also have to say, Max, (and CapK) that you should consider yourself blessed to be living (or having lived) in the majestic beauty of New Zealand! I knew it was beautiful there, but I had no idea how spectacular until seeing this film.

#50049 12/21/01 03:40 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

old hand
old hand
> I knew it was beautiful there, but I had no idea how spectacular until seeing this film

WO'N - can we assume you haven't seen Jurassic Park - well the latest in the series anyway?

What about Jane Campion's "The Piano"?

What about "Once Were Warriors"? (Although a dour struggle, there were a few minutes of countryside shown).

And what about the Hercules and Xena TV series? (though I have sufficient respect for your intellectual capacity for not watching these!!)

stales

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
No stales, I'm a paleontology buff and loved Jurassic Park (the book and first movie), and liked the sequel ok...but I hesitate once they start diluting it into sequelhood beyond 2 (see "Rocky"). "The Piano," though on my must-see list, I have yet to watch; "Once we were Warriors," no; and I'd peek occasionally, at the "Hercules" and "Xena" series (though I didn't realize they were filmed in NZ). But, still, I've never seen the breathtaking panormas of the NZ naturescape as shown in LOTR? So, now that you have a small compendium of my film/TV viewing habits, what's the comparison here? Did you see The Lord of the Rings before you asked me this??

old hand
old hand
> So, .... what's the comparison here?

There's no complex thinking here WO'N - this is me remember! I was just surprised at your reaction to Zild's scenery and thought that you must've already seen it without realizing it in the movies and TV shows mentioned.

I haven't seen LotR yet - but will do so just as soon as I've re-read the book (last time was 1973!)

stales

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
LotR shows New Zealand?? Hot diggety dog--I'm there!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the Hercules and Xena TV series? (though I have sufficient respect for your intellectual capacity for not watching these!!)

Hafriggingrrumph!© The Hercules series was good fun. Not being able to get past the rampant anachronisms is, in my opinion, a sure sign of terminal curmudgeonry. Xena, however seemed to be a little too wrapped up in its militant feminism to admit to a sense of humor although that Georgian(?) bagpipe music in the opening credits was exquisite. "intellectual capacity for not watching these" indeed. They did miss a good chance at a pun when Hercules and Iolaus were stopped on a bridge by some toughs who said they were collecting a toll "for the Glory of Hera". Rather than simply taking the money and thanking them for it, Herc whupped on them and passed.

J
old hand
old hand
J
I've seen it twice now (both Wednesday and Thursday with different friends) and I loved it. The scenery and action are great. I tried to pay more attention to the music the during the second viewing and the score is excellent.

I wasn't too wild about the very beginning with the history of the ring. Sauron looks like something from Power Rangers, and the valiant little soldiers look a little corny when they first walk on.

I also, didn't mind the Arwen role too much, partially because my memory of that part of the story is a little vague. It's strange that they didn't call the old watch tower Weathertop (it's name in the book), but the LotR website has pictures of it labelled as such.

The computer graphics throughout the movie are amazing. Gollum, though not seen much in this movie, is completely computer generated, and the use of blue screens to shrink the hobbits is seamless. I think my favorite parts were the swooping camera shots of Isengard and the quarries. The Mines of Moria were great too with the forest of columns and little orcs all over the place. Lothlorien was beautiful, too, but they didn't spend enough time there.

Overall, it was an excellent movie, I hope it gets the Golden Globe for all the categories that it's in: Best Movie (Drama), Best Director, Best Musical Score and Best Original Song. I'm not really surprised that no one was nominated for Best Actor/Actress because none really stand out as a major lead.

#50056 12/22/01 12:50 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
. I think my favorite parts were the swooping camera shots of Isengard and the quarries. The Mines of Moria were great too with the forest of columns and little orcs all over the place.

Most of the Isengard scenes were indeed filmed in a quarry, less than 200 yards from State Highway 2 at Haywards in the Hutt Valley. There were crowds of people on the side of the road and on the surrounding hills trying to catch a glimpse of what was going on while the filming was in progress. I understand they're going to open the quarry (with sets) for viewing. Or may have already done. Fancy - Disneyland in the Hutt!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
heresy? you want heresy?? here's a passage from National Lampoon's Bored of the Rings, the story of Dildo and Frito Bugger:

"They asked each other countless riddles, such as who played the Cisco Kid and what was Krypton. In the end Dildo won the game. Stumped at last for a riddle to ask, he cried out, as his hand fell on his snub-nosed .38, 'What have I got in my pocket?' This Goddam failed to answer, and growing impatient, he peddled up to Dildo, whining, 'Let me see, let me see.' Dildo obliged by pulling out the pistol and emptying it in Goddam's direction. The dark spoiled his aim, and he managed only to deflate the rubber float, leaving Goddam to flounder. Goddam, who couldn't swim, reached out his hand to Dildo and begged him to pull him out, and as he did, Dildo noticed an interesting thing on his finger and pulled it off. He would have finished Goddam off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he thought, as he went back up the tunnel, pursued by Goddam's cries of rage."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0451452615/reader/1/103-7102325-0032609#reader-link

old hand
old hand
> I haven't seen LotR yet - but will do so just as soon as I've re-read the book (last time was 1973!)

Saw the flick today and thought it was awesome. Not having read the book for 28 years I'd forgotten all the ins and outs and thus saw it pretty much as a "cleanskin" cinema goer. My wife and 2 sons (12 & 10) had not read it either - but were all blown out of the water.

We were wondering whether the hobbits and dwarves were really that small - so thanks for the post above that said it was a blue screen thing.

For the record, my 10 year old liked the underground ("mine") scenes best - the FX, the characters and the images - like I said - awesome.

As well as the cleanskin stales' tribe, we went with LotR addict friends - she has read the books nine times. Said afterwards that the scenes were exactly how she'd envisaged them over the years - and the "actualisation" of her mental images had brought tears to eyes several times. She was scathing about Frodo's rescue by the fair maiden and the Arwen relationship "thing" but was prepared to put up with both as a small sacrifice to the overall outcome.

My sons hit the nail on the head - they said that this was the best movie they'd ever seen and that it was the first one they'd ever seen that that they wanted to see again straight away.

stales

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmmmm. I finally got to see the movie last night from start to finish. Amazing special effects, reasonably good acting from some of the cast and lots of shots of places I know, although some of it was pretty heavily embellished with special effects. You might be interested to know that the scenes on the great river were, in fact, filmed on at least four, and possibly five, different rivers!

However I stand by my statement made in the murky depths of the earlier posts to this thread that they got the hobbits wrong. And as for Frodo ... well, I kept expecting George Michael to step into frame and put the hard word on him at any moment.

And that was a shame, since they did, as I think JazzO has said, get the blue screening exactly right, and while Ian McKellan isn't my original idea of Gandalf, he did a creditable job. The dwarves were good. If you have to have a baddy, why not Sean Penn, and the elves were spot-on. But then I knew that, because I know one of the actors who played an elven lord at Rivendell.

I was less impressed by the Uruk Hai, however. They looked like they'd been hijacked from an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

My major concern was the lack of depth, which is, I admit, almost impossible to reproduce in a movie with the breadth of this one (and its two sequels). If you'd never read LOTR, you wouldn't have known squat about Gondor, Strider/Aragorn's association with it, why the Gap of Rohan was closed to the travellers, yadda, yadda, yadda. And I must admit I was wondering how Jackson would portray Tom Bombadil. Now I know - written right out of the script! Poor old Tom. Back to the Barrowdowns, his house, and his beautiful wife, I suppose.

Oh, by the way, where can I buy a balrog pup? I need one for these cold winter nights to cut down on the heating bills ...

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen pictures of some of the characters, and they could pass for different characters, in my opinion. I envisioned Frodo as looking sort of wimpier, and Gandalf looked to much like Dumbledore in Harry Potter, except Gandalf's beard was shorter. So that's my two yen.

#50062 01/06/02 03:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring has just been bestowed with AFI's (the American Film Institute's) first-ever Movie-of-the-Year Award. That is, indeed, an honor! And well-deserved! "The road goes ever on and on..."

D
addict
addict
D
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
Frodo: Hi, Gandalf!
Gandalf: Bilbo, give him your ring.
Bilbo: Okay. Bye!
Gandalf: See you at the pub, Frodo.

Frodo: Doo-de-do.
Nazgul: Boo!
Frodo: Eeeek!
Merry: (pops up out of nowhere) Eeeek!
Pippin: (ditto) Eeeek!
Sam: Ha ha, can't catch us now!

Tom Bombadil: Hello little friends!
Frodo: No time for you, weirdo.
Tom Bombadil: (disappears)

Saruman: See, all I had to do was cross out "Good" on my business cards and write "Bad," and I'm all set.
Gandalf: I never saw that coming.
Saruman: Excuse me while I tend to my vast army of evil orcs and war machinery which were in plain sight.
Gandalf: Alas, if only he had imprisoned me at the top of a high tower without walls or ceiling so that he could not prevent a giant eagle from rescuing me, instead of in the canonical dungeon deep underground. Oh, wait.

Frodo: (whispering) Keep a low profile.
Pippin: (loudly) And don't mention your real name, right?
Merry: (loudly) Or the ring either, right?
Strider: Right. Don't mention the ring. (laughs) It's okay, I'll save you.

Pippin: (whining) Are we there yet?
Nazgul: Bwa ha ha ha. Give us the ring, little worm.
Frodo: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names…
Sam: Hmm, looks like swords work too.
Strider: Go away, bad men!
Nazgul: The five of us must flee, for we are outnumbered by this one Ranger!

Frodo: Wow, we're in Rivendell!
Merry: That was easy.
Pippin: Don't knock it.
Sam: Elves are cool!
Elrond: Get the hell out of my place, I don't need trouble.
Gimli: You can't throw them out while I'm here!
Legolas: Same for me!
Elrond: Right, all of you wankers leave now.
Gandalf: But I just got here.
Boromir: I'll just invite myself along. No real reason. Certainly not because I have larceny on my mind. Nope.
Strider: Look, they fixed my sword! (swish) Wheeeee!

Frodo: Such beautiful scenery. The green grass and leaves are so… [THUD]
Pippin: Where the hell did all this snow come from?
Gandalf: Don't blame me. Who knew that mountains could be cold on top?
Gimli: Told you we should go through the mines.
Strider: Let the dwarf have his way.
Legolas: Fine, whatever, just open the door.
Gimli: Ummm, I have no idea how to get inside.
Boromir: What a bunch of dicks.
Gandalf: Of course! (applies C4 to the problem) [POOF]
Sam: Such magic.

Merry: Ooooo, dead dwarf over here!
Gimli: Boo hoo.
Pippin: HEY MONSTERS, COME AND GET US!!
Gandalf: Twit.
Orcs: Oh good, we were getting hungry. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to keep an army fed in these abandoned mines?
Boromir: (Slash)
Legolas: (Pfft)
Gimli: (Whack)
Orcs: This is definitely putting a damper on our relationship.
Frodo: Ouch!
Strider: Alas, the Ring-bearer has perished! Our quest has failed!
Frodo: Just kidding. I did the slide-blade-between-arm-and-chest trick while I was standing in profile to y'all. Pretty funny, eh?
Balrog: Dammit, I was sound asleep. That really ticks me off.
Gandalf: We are so doomed.
Strider: Not if we run away! (does so)
Boromir: First good idea you've had. (follows)
hobbits: (already in the lead)
Gandalf: (trailing) It matters not! You cannot outrun the demon!
Legolas: We don't have to…
Gimli: …we just have to outrun *you*.
Balrog: Your ass is mine, wizard. (drags Gandalf down with him)
Strider: Woe is upon our company, that Gandalf has fallen!
Frodo: I'm over it.
Sam: Yeah, let's go, there's no food here.

Legolas: Wondrous are these woods!
Gimli: And full of cutthroat elves.
Celeborn: We were told of your coming. Well, "warned" is more accurate.
Galadriel: I know you better than you know yourselves.
Sam: You've got nothing better to do with your time?
Galadriel: Wake up, Frodo, and look in the mirror.
Frodo: Geez, can't a guy get some sleep around here? What mirror are you babbling about, there's just this birdbath full of water.
Galadriel: But it shows magic pictures of things that may or may not be!
Frodo: I'm guessing you're a day trader. Here, you take the ring.
Galadriel: I will not. (hangs her head) I lost the instructions.
Frodo: Great, I'm still stuck with it.
Celeborn: Check-out time!

Pippin: (singing) Row row row your boat, gently down…
Gimli: Shut the hell up. Seven hours of that is enough.
Strider: All this beautiful scenery is giving me a very bad feeling.

Boromir: Give me the ring.
Frodo: Notice as I put it on that it not only makes me invisible, it also apparently teleports me away from your clutches.
Boromir: Arrrrrgghhh! I'm just trying to save my kingdom! Where is a rake I can step on, that it might strike my head? Ah, this will do nicely. (whack)
Frodo: Best thing for me to do now is head for the most dangerous place in the world.
Sam: Works for me. (they leave)
SuperOrcs: Kill kill kill!
Merry: Help, help, Auntie Em! (waves his tiny sword pathetically)
Pippin: Christ, look at the size of these guys, we're dead meat.
Boromir: Fear not, little hobbits, I shall blow my special horn and we shall be rescued by soldiers…who are…hundreds…of…miles…away…guess we are pretty stuffed after all. (dies)
SuperOrcs: Kill kill kill!
Legolas: Look at my form. Damn, I'm good.
Gimli: I'm environmentally friendly… blood makes the grass grow.
Strider: Looks like Frodo got away. Well, there's no chance in hell I'm going to step one foot closer to Mordor, so let's go the exact opposite direction.
Legolas: Okay.
Gimli: Sure.

THE END

old hand
old hand
doc -

MORE...........MORE.........!!!!!!!!

stales

#50065 01/11/02 07:00 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#50066 01/11/02 06:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you want a lampoon on Lord of the Rings, then read Bored of the Rings by Harvard Lampoon. I howled my way through it the first time and the second time.

Frito Buggers sets out on a quest to nowhere in particular in company with Goodgulf, the wizard, Spam, his faithful servant and Moxie and Pepsi, two general hobbits-about-town. On the way they meet Arrowroot, also known as Stomper, who really is a shiftless, good for nothing hippie-type. They meet an elf called Legolam and generally have a fun time fighting off various friends and general hangers-on of Sorhed, the big cheese.

Frito got his ring from his uncle, Dildo Buggers.

They lampoon the poetry, the geography (the countries are Onedor, Twodor, Threedor and Fourdor) as well as the characters. At the bridge over the Brandywine, there's a sign with tariffs:

Pedestrians: One farthing
People on Horses: One Halfpenny
Haywains: One penny
Black Riders: Forty Gold Pieces

The map is hilarious. The Legendary Drilling Rigs are perched off the coast, and the Little X-shaped Forest is, literally x-shaped.

The poetry goes along the lines of:

"There was a little working elf, a stenographer by day"

It's all very sixties, and there are lots of allusions to the politics (particularly American) of the day, but it's worth getting hold of and laughing through, it really is.

#50067 01/11/02 08:09 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
They lampoon ... the geography (the countries are Onedor, Twodor, Threedor and Fourdor)

The copywriter for an automobile advertisement, pre-1920, was obviously unfamiliar with that newfangled gadget when he referred to it as being available in two styles. You can buy the Tudor model, he noted, or for a slight surcharge you can get the Fourdor.

#50068 01/11/02 08:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You can buy the Tudor model

I seem to remember, back in the '50s, Tudor was the standard spelling for the model car that had two doors.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Managed to see the film while I was in Inggris. My sister, who hadn't read the books (guess what her Christmas present was), was bowled over. Candi (my Indonesian other half)loved it even though he only had the vaguest idea of what was going on and as a general rule doesn't like long films. I found the history of the ring at the beginning rather overlong but can't see how else you could work it all in. Two complaints: what happened to Tom Bombadil? The elves were not elvish enough. They are supposed to be fairer than humans and immortal (barring accidents), not just people with pointy ears. Although Cate Blanchett is a talented actress, she simply was not Galadriel (admittedly it did not help that I'd seen her in Elizabeth on TV the night before.) Apart from that, yes it was great. Beautiful scenery. Moria was wonderful. I'll definitely see it again when it comes to Indonesia.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Two complaints: what happened to Tom Bombadil? The elves were not elvish enough.

The elves didn't bother me - being personally acquainted with one of them - but the lack of a Tom Bombadil did. Although I'm not sure why; after all lots of other bits and bobs got left out.

So let's get together a BBTB ('Bring Back Tom Bombadil') movement and petition Peter Jackson to get him up off the cutting room floor. Or into the script. I need to know for sure that he wasn't just Goldberry in drag. Wouldn't it have been a surreal movie if they'd cut excerpts from "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" into LOTR? that would have given one of my favourite movies a much-needed box-office boost!

Actually, though, Bingley, I'd like to hear your take on how the elves could have been made more, um, elvish!

J
old hand
old hand
J
So let's get together a BBTB ('Bring Back Tom Bombadil') movement and petition Peter Jackson to get him up off the cutting room floor.

There are many websites run and frequented by LOTR enthusiasts. If a movement such as you suggest had any support or possibility of being successful, it would have already been done. Plus, the filming is long done and I have a feeling Bombadil isn't even on the cutting room floor. He probably wasn't in the script at all considering how little he contributes to the story.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Errrrr, I was, um, joking, JazzO! Honest ...

#50073 01/14/02 09:26 PM
L
L
I will not even tell you how long it's been since I read LOTR but the thing that confused me was Strider's sword. The sword that was broken shall be mended... something along those lines. Didn't the elves reforge the sword? My husband says that he carries it away when they leave but I missed it if it was remade. I want to see the movie again. Or maybe I'll reread the books.

#50074 01/14/02 09:34 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#50075 01/14/02 10:04 PM
L
L
And I thought I was watching. Maybe why the book is almost always better.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Actually, though, Bingley, I'd like to hear your take on how the elves could have been made more, um, elvish!

I don't know how you would give the right impression, otherwise I'd be in show business. Elves are not just people with pointy ears any more than Vulcans are. Elves should be heartbreakingly beautiful and seem timeless. There should be an underlying grief and longing and a capacity for great joy beyond mortal ken.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Elves should be heartbreakingly beautiful and seem timeless. There should be an underlying grief and longing and a capacity for great joy beyond mortal ken.
Swoon! All right, ladies, stand back, now. You've waited too long. He is MINE! [starry eyes e]

(I do actually know an Elf who pretty well fits this description!)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Elves are not just people with pointy ears any more than Vulcans are.

Oh, I see. You wanted Leonard Nimoy to play Elrond. Well, why didn't you just say so?

#50079 01/16/02 04:05 PM
old hand
old hand
I just can't stop calling Legolas "Legless". Ruins the moment for me every time!!

stales

#50080 01/16/02 04:21 PM
old hand
old hand
"Legless" might be a decent aptronym - he didn't make any footprints in the snow. (You think I'm lying? Watch it again!)

My first inclination when I hear his name is to feel sorry that he can't find his plasticine building blocks... ...Lego...lost...Lego...lost...oh, never mind.

#50081 01/27/02 07:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Legolas still has me sighing[sigh] no footprints? I didn't notice.[sigh]wiping drool off chin-e....sigh
I did notice the pottery, though. Did anyone else, or is it just me? I must say I haven't been so glad to pay that much to watch a movie in years. I was terrificly impressed.

#50082 01/27/02 02:58 PM
old hand
old hand
Tell me about the pottery - Mrs stales loves pottery so we'll keep an eye out for in during The Second Watching.

Like you Consuelo, Mrs stales also fell for Legless and therefore might miss the pottery!

(I mean what's with this guy? He can shoot arrows real quick so us blokes can respect him - but he's got the worst dye job you've ever seen.)

notbackyet stales

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
yeahbut®

we all know IRL the women might be whispering about the etheral charms of Legless, but actually taking an orc to bed

PS: seen it twice, Legless does not hold me riveted, and I *still didn't notice the pottery...

#50084 01/28/02 12:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, we can dream, can't we?Although I personally can't think of a single Orc I've ever slept with, our fantasies often give you chaps the times of your lives, so don't try to understand it. Just say "Yes, dear." After all, the gents have the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders to drool over. BTW, Stales, the pottery is in the Bilbo's Birthday scenes, the Prancing Pony scenes, and Elrond's house has the most magnificent of all, of course. Anywhere they can be found eating and drinking, you'll see the pottery.

#50085 01/28/02 12:37 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Legolas's lack of footprints in the snow is in the book:

Legolas watched them for a while with a smile on his lips, and then he turned to the others. 'The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say: let a ploughman plough, but choose an otter for swimming, and for running light over grass and leaf, or over snow -- an Elf.'

With that he sprang forth nimbly, and then Frodo noticed as if for the first time, though he had long known it, that the Elf had no boots, but wore only light shoes, as he always did,, and his feet made little imprint in the snow.

Bingley

Bingley
#50086 01/28/02 08:12 PM
old hand
old hand
Yes, I was made aware of it having been in the book by my resident Tolkein-scholar/roommate. I was, in fact, made aware of *several* things... *while* the movie was playing. I'll be seeing it *alone* next time, thank you.

And as for Orlando Bloom (the stud muffin who plays Legolas) - as I shared with ladymoon by PM, there's some interview with him online where he comes off as some kind of walking hormone... "If a role requires me to kiss a pretty girl, I'll take it!" He's one of those cute-to-have-around-as-long-as-he-keeps-his-mouth-closed types...

#50087 01/29/02 12:13 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
All right, I guess it's up to me to strike a balance in this Legolas love fest.

I have to tell you I think he looks kinda wimpish. Not somebody one could really have a good romp with...too fragile. If you get creative in any way you need a solid guy to prop you up. He looks way too wispy. Plus, what's with the baby face. Good grief, not a laugh-line on em.

Pfff...and I'm sure he cries at all those Hallmark comercials - wimp! Gimme Aragorn anytime.

#50088 01/29/02 12:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sigh. When I was sixteen, my father, laughing, told me "Connie, you are just like Jesus, you love them all." Aragorn, sigh.It's still true

#50089 01/29/02 04:44 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Umm, Fiberbabe, what is a stud muffin ? Somebody who is overfond of small cakes? I have followed you in whiting it as presumably the word may offend those of delicate sensibilities, but I have no idea why.

Bingley

Bingley
#50090 01/29/02 08:49 AM
old hand
old hand
Studmuffin = hunk, chick magnet etc - you know - stalesesque...

notbackyet stales

#50091 01/29/02 09:28 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
So what's the difference between a stud and a studmuffin? If stalesesque is a synonym could we have a photo please?

Bingley

Bingley
#50092 01/29/02 09:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Studmuffin = hunk, chick magnet etc - you know - stalesesque...

You'd better get back from the mines soon, young man. Them geodes goin' to yer head and all.

Bingley, I think it's an 80s expression. You (read: we) didn't miss much...

#50093 01/29/02 10:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Caution:word related

Bingley asks, all innocent like, "What's the difference between stud and stud muffin?"

Well, Bingley, my sweet, the difference isn't all that much.
Muffins are scrumptious, finger-licking good, so, by extension, a stud muffin would be a stud that also fits that description. Ah for the licker smiliecon!. Stud is definitly a noun. Is stud muffin a two word noun or what? I'm not the world's best sentence diagramer.
tongue so far in cheek it's coming out the other ear-e

#50094 01/29/02 06:15 PM
old hand
old hand
Well, I see that I don't have to enter into the fray of defining stud muffin, since the other ladies have been kind enough to clarify. However, I've never heard "stalesesque" used as a synonym... maybe it's just a regionalism, but I've heard "quordleplian" used far more often.

#50095 01/30/02 02:25 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bingley, my sweet
Consuelo, I like you and all, but--I have staked my claim; he is MINE. No one else's! [glaring suspiciously over her shoulder e]

#50096 01/30/02 03:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think he'd mind if we share, Jackie. Would you, dear? Besides, you have staked your claim in a lot of places. Let me help you maintain them!

#50097 01/30/02 04:57 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ladies, please, all claims must be properly registered at the claims office in Jakarta and will be attended to strictly according to date of filing.

Bingley

Bingley
#50098 01/30/02 05:26 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#50099 01/30/02 11:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bing cherie?? A--HEM.
I don't think he'd mind if we share, Jackie.
Well, I would! Bingley, I'm chartering a plane immediately. Note to other hopefuls: I intend to keep him very well-occupied; he won't have time for anyone else. [warning growl e]

#50100 01/30/02 11:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, MY definition of a studmuffin is Robert Redford (right, Angel? ). Clint Eastwood (be still my heart) is not--he's too utterly cool and irresistibly aloof. For the younger set, Enriqué Iglésias most definitely fits the bill.

#50101 01/30/02 01:27 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Well, MY definition of a studmuffin is Robert Redford (right, Angel? ).

Yes, right, Jackie! And some of us have had the fine privilege of dining and dancing with Bob! [very smug, doesn't it make you wonder-e] Anyone wanting the true story of meeting Robert Redford and having dinner with him, PM me. I'm glad to share with those interested. He is truly a wonderful man, and a studmuffin!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring has just received more nominations (13) than any other film this year, including Ian McKellan for Best Supporting Actor (Go Gandalf!)...a brilliant performance, he deserves it! Also nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography (if they don't win this one, then suptin' ain't right), and a slew of others! I'll really enjoy this year's Oscar show pulling for LOTR, it should be exciting (which is a word I don't usually associate with that ceremony)!

The road goes ever on and on......Evidently!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 932 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith