About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Dr. Bill;

I accuse you of but taking an innocent word and forcing it into the definition you want. For all you know I was referring to a Permit Flyfishing fly (http://www.flyshop.com/Bench/Features/02-97Merkin/) or one of the country's premier chamber music concert halls (http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/11303295/). Considering *my original use of the term: Not to mention Merkins giggling... either one makes as much sense as your little attempt to pervert the propriety of this thread.

Never shall you need fear being invited into the Order of the Garter.

#49534 12/11/01 11:09 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Bingley, I hereby volunteer to wash up your vest and pants.

... but sadly you can't perform such a task in Brit Eng, you can wash up dishes but merely wash people and things.

Jo

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, Rhuby. Look what I found at the Quinion site, though (tsuwm, you're a genius!): The piepowder courts died out during the course of the nineteenth century along with the fairs that had brought them into being; the last is said to have been that in Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire, which last met in 1898. They must have gone out of existence in your area earlier. Let me know if you discover anything on these, will you?

===========================================================

And, Jo--All right, then; either Bingley will have to don dinnerware, or I'll wash him up in some other language--perhaps en Français--ooh la la! [Bingley running for his life e]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My ASp has pointed out to me the Dec 10th review on the Merkin Concert Hall link I posted. Just goes to prove my contention that there's English schoolboys everywhere.

#49537 12/11/01 04:57 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
cadger : One who goes about begging or getting his living by questionable means.

I've known and used the words cadge and cadger ...well... forever!
To cadge means to get what you want sneakily. For instance the guy who shows up at your house *every* Sunday just as dinner is being served and says something like "Oh, gee but that smells good. I haven't had a bite to eat all day." Of course he must - for politeness sake - be invited to dine with you. That's cadging and he is a cadger.
The female cadger is the one who puts you in an awkward position with statements like : "I'm wearing my blue suit to a very important meeting where I must impress the boss. You know, that sapphire pin of yours would really make the outfit." Grrrrr.
The answer to the last is, of course : "Sorry, but I gave it away last Christmas!"
You cannot say "I've already loaned it to someone." because the cadger will want to know who, when it's due back, ....see what I mean? They just put you in very difficult position where it's nearly impossible not to be really rude! That's the cadger.

Maybe we could have a thread on really good excuses not to do some(any)things!

#49538 12/11/01 06:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"I'm wearing my blue suit to a very important meeting where I must impress the boss. You know, that sapphire pin of yours would really make the outfit."

"Oh, too bad you don't have one like it. I got mine at Tudbury's. I hear they're having a sale this weekend."

#49539 12/11/01 07:36 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#49540 12/11/01 07:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, i am with faldage on this.. i never let a cadger make me feel guilty any more..

"Yes, you are so right-- but i never lend my good jewelry" --or "Yes, but they make such nice costume jewelry these days.. i am sure you can find something wonderful."

if if they are particularly annoying, say "Yes." and nothing else, don't offer the loan, don't take a step to getting it. just agree, your sapphire is a perfect match for their blue suit. and then wait for them to ask you "May I borrow it?" (sometimes they just don't have the nerve!) If they do..

and if they have "borrowed" things before, and not returned them, or returned them damaged.. point it out! "like how you borrowed my silk scarf? and lost it? or how you borrowed my car, and it came back dented? No, i don't want this lost or broken, i am sure you understand." if they just constantly borrow things, just say "No, i don't feel comfortable lending it" if pressed, just repeat, (why? don't you trust me... "i don't feel comfortable lending it"--Do you think i borrow to many things?" "i don't feel comfortable lending it"-- a broken record response.. no anger.. just monotony!)

If they accuse you of being rude, just pause for a moment, and quitely ask, with an incredulous voice, "you think i am being rude? How?" reality is, they are rude. its not rude to say a polite no.

once they realize you can't be manipulated... problem is over...

#49541 12/12/01 10:40 PM
L
L
This reminds me of my brother who claims he's not obnoxious, but using the PC, just tact-challenged.

#49542 12/13/01 02:07 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
tact-challenged--I love it! I can think of a few people like that...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 932 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith