About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#49223 12/10/01 12:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
BTW - any comments about my comment above will be ignored.
Mercy me, son, we had all that settled, ages ago. I don't think you need to worry that anyone here will try to tell you what you "ought" to believe.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You said: Bob, are you trying to tell me that every last person in an entire country is presumed to be a member of one religion??? [Eyebrows shooting through the ceiling e] (I can't even touch that 'by law' part...)

Jackie:

There's a great deal of Confucian about that, Buddhism our job here to do something other than Hindu people in their understanding? Jew wish to know more? Jain and I will tell you, Friend, and we will Sikh to leave no Mormon (or woman) without an answer. Gnostic left unwhittled, if you know what I mean.

I suspect we'll be Arian on the side of those who lost at Dunker, but if you're Gideon a better understanding, That Sufists for me.

Athanasian, we don't have an established religion here on this side of the pond, Buddhist not a knock against the English, particularly those who tithe at the Orphism. Lutheran Huguenot agree on that principle, and though we disagree with them Bryanite would Quaker to Stundist group by arguing.

Gentoo, the Brahman who went to Parsee with Wesleyan Yogi would be Russian Orthodox would be checking their Unitary Tractians, which is enough to Shaker them up no end.

Eusebian to be asking the right Christians, but perhaps your Jansenism revealing enough Tao get the same questions that Zoroaster Doukhober a quietist Calvin-tage.

Wahabi gun, but Zen I found out that Rosicrucian around trying to Baptist poor correspondent on the head.

(Now, if someone can find a way to use Puseyite without the gutter police's whacking you, let me know.)

TEd

TEd
#49225 12/10/01 06:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ma'am is pronounced Mam (as in spam) rather than Marm (as in palm[!])
• Interesting pronunciations include:

Althorp - All-trup
De la Warr - Della-ware
Beaulieu - Bew-ly
Le Fanu - Leff-new
Blenheim - Blen-im
St John - Sin-jun
Cholmondeley - Chum-li
Theobald - Tibbald

And y'all accuse US'ns of spelling funny. Harrumph!®

#49226 12/11/01 10:13 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>For these reasons I prefer not to discuss politics and religion with friends - and you are all my friends.

Oh well, one less person to engage with in a long meaningful/less conversation at parties. I like to stick to religion, sex and politics but then I do like to play with fire hmmm - wonder why no-one talks to me anymore ....

#49227 12/11/01 10:39 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
During this Advent season, I attended a church musical presentation. I had heard that the presentation was stunning.

Well, I was stunned and confused. It was Buxby Berkley in the sanctuary where, among the anomalies, were two sumo wrestlers in a rock routine, actors dressed as geriatrics doing a walker rock routine, and a glitzy fashion show, to mention three of the low points. It felt to me as though this were a way of appealing to the crowd through secular humor. Very, very strange evening it was...

However, there were a live sheep, goat, horse and camel. They, at least, were natural and exquisitely refreshing.

Very different strokes for different folks,
WW

#49228 12/11/01 02:45 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
There is special language used during this season for Christians. Comments?

He's no Christian, but

in the past weeks my four-year-old has repeatedly asked to watch Frosting the Snowman.

And yesterday, he greeted me with "Hey mom! Look at my peanuts!

#49229 12/11/01 06:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
jmh - Well, two outa three ain't bad... and "whenever two or more are gathered..." there's a party.

TEd - As a good Pantheist, I *have to agree... except for that crack about Puseyites.

BYB - I think weave now covered *all the extremes... and thanks for the modifier charnel. I'll try to use it sparingly.

#49230 12/11/01 06:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The (first and) last time I went to a Catholic Mass (other than weddings) it was billed as "A Disco Christmas". (I'll let you infer the year.) Other than that, the liturgy seemed so close to the Lutheran "counterpart" that the differences were purely symbolic (all puns intended).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Today is the Orthodox Christmas Eve, and I thought this would be the appropriate thread to share this. I'm of Slovak descent on my mother's side, and her parent's (whom I never never met) were born in the foothills of the Carpathian mountains in what was then Austria-Hungry, and spoke a Russian-tinged dialect of Slovak. The liturgy of the church they attended, and the one they and my mother and her relatives continued to attend in Perth Amboy, NJ, (St, John's), used a "Church Slavonic" liturgy, which was a sort of Russian/Slovak . Thus we called the Julian calendar (Greek Catholic) celebration of Christmas on January 7, "Russian Christmas." My mother converted to Roman Catholic when she married my Dad, but every year when I was a boy we'd go over to my Aunt Annie's house to celebrate Russian Christmas Eve with traditional ethnic foods like stuffed-cabbage, bobalky (little baked bread-balls mixed with either sauerkraut or poppy-seed 'n' honey), mushroom soup, and roshki (special cookies filled with lekvar, or apricot and nuts). We'd eat dinner, and then sit and sing around the table. And my Uncle Andy, of full-blooded Russian descent, would sing Christmas carols in Russian with my Mother and her relatives, and play his harmonica like the whole soul of ancient Russia was pouring through it. Since this was all so detached from the commercial accoutrements of the Dec. 25th Christmas, I got a sense of what a simple family Christmas was like before all the material clatter. And one thing my Uncle Andy always used to say is, "It always snows for Russian Christmas!" And, you know, 99% of the time throughout my life, he's been right! So now, before, I join my mother for a Russian Christmas Eve dinner she homecooked...bobalky and mushroom soup, and the traditional honey 'n' clove of garlic on bread to begin...I'd like to wish all our Orthodox friends out there a Merry Christmas!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Goodness me ... all these years I have celebrated Russian Christmas and never knew ... and missed all that delicious food. I have always celebrated 12th Night also known as The Feast of the Three Kings, or Epiphany or Little Christmas.
Thank you WO'N for another reason to celebrate.
Today, I have to take down all the decorations and put them away until Dec 2002.
By the way, anyone hear of the superstition that you must take down the mistletoe before Feb 2 or risk bad luck for the year. Why Feb 2 ? Anyone know?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith