Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#49193 12/03/01 01:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is special language used during this season for Christians. Comments?

#49194 12/03/01 03:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, this morning at church, the children put decorations on the Chrismon tree.

For an explanation, you can try http://pws.gamewood.net/~chrismon/Chrismons/

#49195 12/03/01 05:46 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
There is special language used during this season for Christians.
You mean secret symbol stuff like the "ichthus"? Or "eucharist" or all of the above?

#49196 12/05/01 04:16 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I must confess, Anna, I don't know what you are referring to. However, here is an interesting (I think) bit of language trivia.

The Sunday which immediately precedes the season of Advent used to be called "The Sunday Next before Advent". (In the more modern Kalendar now in use, it's the Feast of Christ the King.) From Tudor times (i.e., from the publication of the first Book of Common Prayer in England, 1549) this day was popularly known as "Stir-Up Sunday", from the collect for the day (particular prayer for that Sunday), which went, "Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may by thee be plenteously rewarded, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen." Thus, the goodwives of the parish were reminded that it was time to stir up their plum puddings and fruitcakes, which they did in the week following so they would have time to age before Christmas.

Thomas Cranmer wrote this on the basis of the collect for the 3rd Sunday in Advent (Gaudete Sunday) in the old Latin liturgy used before the English Reformation, which started, "Excite, Domine, quaesumus, potentiam tuam et veni ..." and which he replaced by a totally different prayer. While the old "Stir up" collect is gone now from Anglican prayerbooks, much to the sorrow of many lovers of the old Elizabethan liturgy, happily the old Latin collect has gained new life; after more than 400 years, it is now back where it belongs, Gaudete Sunday (Advent III), and starts, in the modern English version, "Stir up your power, O Lord, and with great might come among us; ...", which is an almost literal translation of the old Latin version.

#49197 12/05/01 10:28 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What does Gaudete mean?

I once made a plum pudding by a very old recipe--hardest part was finding beef suet.

WW

#49198 12/05/01 03:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What does Gaudete mean?

Rejoice! (plural imperative)

#49199 12/05/01 03:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:What does Gaudete mean?
the third sunday of Advent, the vestments are Pink, (not the somber deep purple) and its supposted to be a time of rejoying-- (as i recall, and this is a dim memory) the gospel message is about John the baptist, who proclaims that the saviour is coming... and it was the only sunday in advent that there was song.. (oh come, oh come Emmanual, and randsom captive israel..)

and as for suet, butchers ususally have it, and grocery store meat departments can get it easily by request. warmed, (melted) and mixed with bird seed, it can be shaped for pretty bird feeders.. (the cold air keeps it stiff enough out side..) and the birds like the extra calories from the fat in the winter.
(avoid sunflower seeds, the shell have a chemical that acts as a herbiside.. the will inhibit anything from germinating.) all the other seeds should be toasted for an hour in a 200 degree oven... or you'll get a nice crop of weeds where ever you bird feeder was hung.. (or cheat, and use rolled oats with suet... rolled oats won't germinate, they are cheap, and left overs can (sans suet) can be served for breakfast!

#49200 12/06/01 04:06 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Gaudete Sunday takes its name from the Epistle reading proper for that day, which is Philippians 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice! ..." In Latin, this starts, "Gaudete semper in Domino"

The 4th Sunday in Lent is called Laetare Sunday and is similar to Gaudete. The proper liturgical color for Laetare, like Gaudete, is rose, or pink, although rose vestments are rarely seen, since few churches could afford a special set used only twice a year. In Anglican churches, blue vestments are often used in Advent in lieu of violet.

[rant] Helen, the color used in Advent and Lent is not purple; purple is a color proper to Bishops and is more red than blue. What you are talking about is correctly called "violet", which is more blue than red. [/rant]

While I'm ranting, here's another one. I hate it when people, merchandisers in chief, refer to the period from roughly Thanksgiving to New Years as the "Christmas Season". Strictly speaking, (ecclesiastically, that is) we are now in the season of Advent, which begins on the Sunday nearest the feast of St. Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after, and goes to Christmas Eve. On Dec. 25, we begin the season of Christmas, which lasts exactly 12 days (the 12 Days of Christmas) to Jan. 5 (12th Night) and is followed on Jan 6 by the season of Epiphany.

#49201 12/06/01 02:01 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I hate it when people, merchandisers in chief, refer to the period from roughly Thanksgiving to New Years as the "Christmas Season".

Well said, Byb - as a fully paid-up nit-picking pedant, I thoroughly agree with your rant, and will stand beside you (or even behind you, if the going gets rough !) to support you to the hilt!

#49202 12/06/01 02:14 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Aw, shucks, whatever became of good old Dies Natalis Solis Invictus? It made much more sense to me.
What would all the merchandisers do with it, do you suppose?

Geoff the pagan

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 787 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith