Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48984 11/28/01 07:56 PM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Since a *sense of darkness has taken over the "Q+A" version this 45wpm, I thought I'd see what the flipside had to say...

WW interjected...
...Yesterday in music class I worked with some seven-year-olds in developing a warm tone quality and used many images of heat and light to help them move from a decidedly harsh, cold, brittle tone to a warm one that I wanted in the passage we'd been working on, not that a cold, brittle tone isn't a useful part of the auditory palate at times.

The use of words that describe visualizations as substitutes for *generalities, specifically at this age in the formation of the musical mind, seems to be "putting the cart before the horse". DubDub's choice isn't the worst example I've seen... but close.

Equating "warm sounds" with "light" seems to be a bit misleading. The words I use for this *polarization are "acute and grave'"... or when speaking to a *younger crowd "closed and open" seem to maintain a focus on the sounds. When the words "light and dark" are used to *explain this it opens up (IMHO) the *virgin mind to mixed metaphor corruptions (to say the least) and builds/reinforces a dependency on visualizations, and more unfortunately, trains the student on others' *versions (however accurate or not) of what these meanings represent.

However accrurate warmth=light and coldness=darkness may reflect the physical spectrum... they shouldn't have a place in *defining "open and closed", and certainly not "high and low", "harsh and smooth" or "strong and brittle".

... and all "this" just because the way I would understand the imagery is: an open or warm sound is much more *accurately described as dark..., but I often stand alone in certain *darknesses.

#48985 11/28/01 08:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Remember that WW is trying to teach kids music, not English usage. If it works...

#48986 11/28/01 11:21 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It worked. If I'm of the worst music teachers, so be it. I do my best, and, if best is worst, God love the best and let me study at your feet, Musick. I'd love to have you come teach a class or two to learn from what you would do. Sometimes harsh criticism is the best stimulus to improving.

Best regards,
WordWorst, or close

#48987 11/29/01 03:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wordwind, my friend, I can only hope that one day I may become as gracious as you are.

#48988 11/29/01 03:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
that means using descriptions for one of the senses to describe something that has to do with a different one. For example, to me, something made with fresh lemon juice always tastes light, and chili always tastes dark.

#48989 11/29/01 07:25 PM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Sweet WordWind,

I did not mean for my post to be an *attack on your skills as a music teacher (I believe you have many more years than I of classroom time teaching music, and it is I that would be the beneficiary in our "meeting of the minds"), and I'm sorry that I had not the chance to agree with Faldage sooner, although aside from my point his comment was.

As Jackie so accurately reflected, my words were about words. Other than showing the difference in our two perspectives, I meant not to be harsh to you (and I'm surprised you understood it as having that intent). My words were clearly too cold, and I apologize.

My best of intentions often get lost through words and this is why music is my language of choice. You have given (and continue to have the opportunity to give) more to the *art of music than I may ever...

Respectfully,

Keven

#48990 11/30/01 12:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, this is much more like the Sweet Musick I know and love.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 744 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith