Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#48650 11/27/01 03:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
<pointedly ignoring tiny quibble>
I can tell you that a julep was originally just a sweet drink (from an arabic word for rose-water), US'nized with brandy, whiskey, etc.

#48651 11/27/01 07:06 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, bring me champagne and WW bring me wine. You gurls duel it out and I'll snuggle into the roots of the gentle trees with no morels.[wood nymph-e]

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, if we're talking champagne, that's altogether different. I change my mind. Champagne it is. A bottle I'll bring to you, Consuelo, if you'll consider sharing your morels. Inside or outside the fairy ring, doesn't matter much to me.

Mush room = required by all good huskies.

Which thread am I on? I'm confused.

WW

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
There can be no honest controversy here, ladies; the answer is incontrovertible and beyond debate. Perhaps Ogden Nash said it best, as he so often did (emphasis added):

There is something about a mint julep.
It is nectar imbibed in a dream
As fresh as the bud of the tulip,
As cool as the bed of a stream.
There is something about a mint julep.
A fragrance beloved by the lucky,
And perhaps it's the tint
Of the frost and the mint,
But I think it was born in Kentucky.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Of course, Jack from Tennesse just might have somethin' to say about all this.

http:////www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html#1: FAQ's:
5. Why is this whiskey called bourbon? It takes its name from Bourbon County, located in the central Bluegrass region of Kentucky. It was formed from Fayette county in 1785 while still a part of Virginia and named to honor the French Royal Family
6. Is Jack Daniel's a bourbon? Jack Daniel's, is not considered a bourbon because it is charcoal-mellowed ... the process, called the Lincoln County Process ... But up to and after the charcoal filtering, the Jack Daniel's production is much the same as any other Bourbon. Jack Daniel's and George Dickel are two fine Tennessee Whiskeys though neither can be called bourbon.
12. Why isn't Jack Daniel's or George Dickel listed on this site? Because they are not bourbon. They are both Tennessee sour mash whiskies.

As to the legalese: http://www.straightbourbon.com/articles/ccname.html, about 4/5 of the way down the page: Today, 'bourbon' has a specific legal meaning that has little to do with its geographic origins. According to federal law, bourbon must be at least 51% corn, distilled at less than 160 proof, and aged for at least two years in new, charred oak barrels. (There are some other requirements, but those are the main ones.) Bourbon also must be made within the United States. In other words, a foreign product that meets all of the other requirements still can not be sold in the U.S. as bourbon.

Contrary to popular belief, there has never been a legal requirement that bourbon be made in Kentucky, which is why most Kentucky producers call their product 'Kentucky Bourbon.' Today there are very few examples of non-Kentucky bourbon left, but Virginia Gentleman is one.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Max, thank you kindly, my friend. (You too, Keiva.)
Ah told you-all there weren't no doubt about it.

Consuelo, I shall be happy to bring you champagne--or whatever. But--just be careful which tree you pick, 'cause if it isn't strictly upright, it may be a-morel...

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And, dear consuelo, avoid amanita phalloides. They look......interesting, but are not to be trifled with.

#48658 11/28/01 01:43 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
The esteemed Odgen Nash ["Reflections on Ice-Breaking"] will serve to link this whiskey discussion back to the original subject of "rooting":

Candy
Is Dandy
But liquor
Is quicker.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And, dear consuelo, avoid amanita phalloides. They look......interesting, but are not to be trifled with.
But can they be truffled with?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith