Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Sparteye, you're so right!

But the crowd is often so incorrect. When I teach this song to my little kids, they want to stone me because I like teaching the lyrics as they were first composed:

Take me out to the ball....game
Take me out with the crowd. (Little kids wanna sing "to the crowd.)
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack (Little kids wanna sing "Cracker Jacks)
I don't care if if we never get back! (Little kids: if I never get back)
So let's root, root, root for the home team.
If they don't win it's a shame...

and the rest is fine other than little kids don't want to feel the two rests that follow "One!" and "Two!" Kids operate on a constantly accelerating inner metronome that we grown-ups could use Monday mornings.

Beat regards,
WW

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Suddenly, Take Me Out to the Ballgame takes on a whole new meaning.
Also gives a whole new meaning for "to make the team".

Apparently the Aussie matron thought that Chemeng had made the team, and so said matron, not being a sports-lover, deracinated her from the conversation.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No wonder that down through most of history it was considered imperative to have a "root cellar" for the storage of, uh, tubular vegetables. I root for rooting in the root cellar! How 'bout you?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've heard theres fun guys in root cellars.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've heard theres fun guys in root cellars.
Well, I know that ol' Whit. is a fun WO'N, and he just said he's rooting for rooting in the root cellar, so...[waggling eyebrows e]

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I have heard mention of the USn's drinking "root beer." Which I always assumed meant beer made from some sort of root - but now I wonder - - -

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Root beer was originally made from sassaphras tree roots. (Not sure of the spelling of sassaphras--sassiphras? sassyphras?).

But more interesting than its roots are its leaves. The leaves have three distinct shapes: one, ovoicd; one, a mitten shape with a thumb sticking out from the oval; third, a mutant mitten, with a thumb and a finger sticking out on the opposite side. These trees are indiginous to America and very common in the woods here in Virginia. ZZZZzzzzzsports ZZZZZzzzzzfishing is a bore for many to watch on TV, but I think sports spotting of trees would be a great replacement sport. I eagerly wait for the time someone will begin to televize a program dedicated to woods romps in which a jolly field guide takes the TV audience on a walk each week to spot species of trees. I, for one, would be glued in front of the tube!

Best regards,
WoodsWind

#48637 11/26/01 01:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sassafrass root were the major ingredient in root beer, but not the only one-- birch (and birch beer can still be found if you search. ) and other root where part of the mix

back in the '70s, the US Food and Drug Administration decided that sassafrass roots were carciogenic (sp?)-- cancer causing.. and banned there use in food. now days, most root beer is made from artifical flavors, and its not nearly as good.

many old reproduction cookbooks include recipes for root beer-- but for the old fashioned kind.. made with sassafrass, ginger, birch and sassprarilla roots, and fermented with yeast! i made a batch one. it was very strongly flavored, but not to much alcohol.

sassafrass leaves are dried and ground up, and used to make a thickener (a vegetable gum) that is used in gumbo. i have 100 baby sassafrass trees in my yard now.. when a sassafrass is cut down, it sent up new shoots form its roots! it is like some demon out of myth!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Sassafras was among the few things sent back to England by the colonists, who were confident that its very pleasant gragrance meant it might be a valuable medication. We made rootbeer when I was small. It was hard in those days to cap the bottles properly to keep CO2 from blowing stopper out. And after about three days the sugar had been used up, and it didn't taste as good. It was only in our imagination an alcoholic beverage.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And, of course, Count Dracula was famous for his root bier. "I vant to suck your, uh, blood."

And I don't even want to mention rootin' tootin'!

sassafrass When we were kids we used to pick the leaves off sassafrass trees and chew their stems for the flavor. That's why I think the carcinogenic warning on this particular item is off the mark.
And in the historic village where I work we have a kettle cookin' sassafrass root beer in demonstration over an open fire all season long. Root beer of any kind (sassafrass, birch, etc.) naturally ferments to a mild proof (about 4% alcohol). Beer of all kinds was viewed and used as a nutritious food for centuries [note the kegs of beer they stored on the Mayflower for breakfast nourishment]. It wasn't until the late 19th Century that innkeepers began to brew beer with a higher alcohol content for recreational consumption. But two years ago we stored the sassafrass beer in a barrel after brewing it in May, and didn't open it again until the July employee picnic. I think they also increased the fermentation with yeast. You didn't have to drink, all you had to do was smell it!...It was like grain alcohol! And what was left was allowed to stand until this year in the same barrel...phew! Talk about "rot-gut" booze!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith