About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#48395 11/25/01 06:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am with Jackie and Whitman on this one Dr. bill--we share a language, and there is enough TV and other sound-based media out there that we are not going to lose site of "car" even if Wow "Pahrks her cahr in hahrvahrd yahrd" and soda makers of all stripes are not going to go out of business even if all the sweeted, cabonated beverage Jackie drinks are called coke... even if they are orange or cream or lemon-lime.

i might say rode--ee--oh and my california daughter in law says row--dayo, but we both know what we are taking about, a rodeo. we can live with House ton being the proper way to say a ny street, and Hew-ston being a city in texas --and both are spelt Houston. there is no right or wrong way to say it.. there is a NY way, and Texan way.. both are right, and both are understood!

#48396 11/25/01 07:41 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I am in favor of diversity, and against divisivenessh. This would not be a great country if it were all New Englanders.It is part of our good fortune that the horrid phrase "No Irish need apply" is no longer heard, and indeed would be illegal. But there are still bosses who discriminate against employees whose accent they dislike. In many places a complaint to the police may be fruitless if made in the wrong accent.

#48397 11/25/01 08:12 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
the horrid phrase "No Irish need apply" is no longer heard

Yeah, but this replaced it: http://www.thedaythatcounts.org/images/pc/p0352.jpg

#48398 11/30/01 09:28 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman were the only survivors of a shipwreck in the South Pacific. After three days adrift they washed up on the shore of a nearly barren island. For the next 12 years, they lived a miserable, hardscrabble existence, eating only the few edible nuts and berries on the island and fish. Their hair and beards grew long, their skin became perpetulaly sunburnt, and their clothes rotted off.

One day they found a golden lamp on the beach. The rubbed the lamp, and a genie came out. The men were awestruck as the genie, in a booming voice, announced "I AM THE GENIE FROM THE LAMP. IN RETURN FOR FREEING ME YOU WILL EACH GET EXACTLY ONE WISH. THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU WISH--AS SOON AS YOUR WISH IS UTTERED IT WILL BE IMMEDIATELY AND IRREVOCABLY GRANTED!"

The Englishman didn't have to think long. "I know what I bloody well want," he exclaimed. "I want to be off this God-forsaken island and back in London, with my beautiful wife Bess whom I've missed so dearly all these long, miserable years."

And *POOF!* he was gone.

next, the Scotsman spoke up. "I want to be back in Scotland! Back in Edinburgh with my wife and lovely children whom I've missed growing up all these years stranded on this stinking, festering, hell-hole of an island!"

And *POOF!* he was gone too.

The genie now turned to the Irishman, who looked anxious. "Oh...I dunno," he mumbled. "It's so hard to decide!" He looked around at the island and said, "I miss the guys. I wish they were back."

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith