Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#48062 11/18/01 04:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
What do you call:

The headband with the little reflecting circle doctors used to wear?

The thing that doctors tap your knee with? It has a little triangular wedge at its end...

The satchel that the home-visiting doctors used to carry?

The machine that shows the contractions when you're giving birth?

And what do you call the paper that the above machine spits out?

Is the throat swab (the one on a long stick that looks like an elongated Q-Tip) simply called a throat swab?

And what about that thing that takes your blood pressure--that band that feels like a boa constrictor?

And the heavy blanket put over your chest when the dentist takes xray pictures?

And, finally (this is the most important), when you have nearly microscopic veins, as I do, and you want the nurse taking blood to use the very smallest needle, is there a particular type of needle I could request--say, one for newly born infants?

Many thanks to anyone who can provide any of the above terms.

WW

#48063 11/18/01 06:46 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: the blood pressure measurement device is called sphygmomanometer. I cannot think of any special names for the other things you mentioned. When it comes to having blood drawn, there is no advantage to having a fine needle used. People who exercise a lot have large veins easily seen close under the skin, but everybody has veins deep that are large enough for experienced lab lady to find. A very fine needle would take longer to pass the amount of blood required, and I think there is some possibility of red cells being damaged by too fine a needle. Let the lab lady decide.

#48064 11/18/01 07:10 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thank you, wwh, for sphygmomanometer. One down; seven to go.

#48065 11/18/01 08:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re: And the heavy blanket put over your chest when the dentist takes xray pictures?

does it have a name besides a lead (as in the metal) blanket?
My destist used to have one, labeled Brand X (i forget the brand) lead blanket.

i suspect is either has a thin sheet of lead foil, or is quilted with lead wool-- which is very similar to steel wool. In my youth, lead wool was used to fill up holes created by rodents, before they were plastered over.. if the mouse/rat/squirrel tried to eat their way through again, they got lead poisoning and died.
oh, the fond memories of a dickensian childhood!

#48066 11/18/01 08:25 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
of Troy: Well, if it's a lead blanket, it sure as heck is lead heavy.

Thanks for that. Six to go...

#48067 11/18/01 10:27 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The little rubber bladed hammer is a "reflex hammer". When tendons are suddenly stretched by being tapped with it, a reflex contraction of muscles attached to tendon occurs unless some uncommon neurological disorder is present.

#48068 11/18/01 11:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Sphygmomanometer Reflex Hammer Lead Blanket--sounds like a rock band to me...

Five to go, but the Rack Monster is calling...

Thanks guys...I'll dream of rock'n'roll...
WW

#48069 11/19/01 05:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
according to the wwftd list, the small, rubber-headed hammer that physicians use to test reflexes is called a plexor.

lead blanket = lead apron

#48070 11/19/01 05:38 AM
D
addict
addict
D
What do you call:

The headband with the little reflecting circle doctors used to wear?

No idea. I assumed it was just a head torch, and they were used because handheld torches were too cumbersome, and large overhead lights weren't powerful enough. Not used any more in the developed world.

The thing that doctors tap your knee with? It has a little triangular wedge at its end...

A tendon hammer or reflex hammer. Can be any shape. Circular ones hurt less.

The satchel that the home-visiting doctors used to carry?

You mean a Doctor's Bag? I've never come across a special name for them. Bag of tricks maybe?

The machine that shows the contractions when you're giving birth?

A CTG (cardiotocograph) machine. Measures the baby's heart (cardio) and the mother's contractions (toco).

And what do you call the paper that the above machine spits out?

A cardiotocogram. As to the name for just the paper, ask the manufacturers.

Is the throat swab (the one on a long stick that looks like an elongated Q-Tip) simply called a throat swab?

Yep. Maybe cotton-tipped swab is the more general term, but if you ask for a throat swab, you'll get the same thing.

And what about that thing that takes your blood pressure--that band that feels like a boa constrictor?

Sphygmomanometer, or sphygmo. Or BP machine.

And the heavy blanket put over your chest when the dentist takes xray pictures?

Lead blanket sounds good to me. The things you wear are lead vests or lead aprons.

And, finally (this is the most important), when you have nearly microscopic veins, as I do, and you want the nurse taking blood to use the very smallest needle, is there a particular type of needle I could request--say, one for new-born infants?

As already mentioned, smallest is not necessarily best. You can try asking for a 22-gauge needle. (I think a 16 or 18 is normal, but I could be way off).

Many thanks to anyone who can provide any of the above terms.

You're welcome.

Note the edit. Got me numbers a-muddled.

#48071 11/19/01 09:51 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
DocC: Well, my medical education for the weekend has improved a bit. Thanks again and also to of Troy and wwh.

The doctor's satchel has some kind of esoteric name I once read, probably in a casual reading through the dictionary. If I come across it again, I'll post it on the board.

Best regards,
WW

PS: Oh, and thanks, also, to tsuwm. I think that plexor may be the word I had in mind...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith