Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
at the other end of the scale in size from a pimento paddle is a peel-- (M-W10th 3rd meaning of peel)

pizza lover's lovers know a peel-- as do bread bakers.. 5 foot one are common in NY pizzarias, but some bakeries have 8 and 10 foot ones.. and watching the bakers use a long peel--its an art in it self!

#47969 11/20/01 07:33 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Yes, the spelling is correct, even if we write it in just one word.
Do you know that the correct traslation is not "crescent moon", but "half moon"?

You reminded me a saying
luna crescente, gobba a ponente
luna calante, gobba a levante

crescent moon, hump ( looking) west
decrescent moon, hump (looking)east.

But it works just in the northern emisphere!

#47970 11/20/01 09:05 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
emanuela: Many thanks for...

una crescente, gobba a ponente
luna calante, gobba a levante

I heard this expression about 35 years ago--one time. I regretted weeks later not having written it down. Over the years I have kept an eye open in hopes that it would one day fall my way again. Today it has fallen with a sweet cadence. I probably would have posed the question here on the WAD board, but you've come through serendipitously.

How do you pronounce it? If you have a moment to spell it out, I would be very grateful. I'll go ahead and take a jab at it, and mebbe you could correct where needed, hopefully not every single syllable: (ay = long a)

OON-ah cray-CHAYN-tay, GAHB-bah ah poh-NAYN-tay
LOO-nah cah-LAHN-tay, GAHB-bah ah lay-VAHN-tay

Best regards,
MM MezzaMoon, WW upside-down

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the castle! (I wanted to post this on the Castle Rock thread, but it looked pretty dead...so I'll post it here.)

We know epicureans, but I'd not seen these words till tonight reading through some dictionaries. Can't remember where I found them...

Epulary (a.) Of or pertaining to a feast or banquet.
Epulation (n.) A feasting or feast; banquet.

Now these are great Scrabble words if you can get away with playing pul, the basic monetary unit of Afghanistan, or pula, the basic monetary unit of Botswana. Not sure how many puls or pulas you'd have to pay in either country for an epulation.... detest math; every day is a good day because I'm not in a math class

DubDub

#47972 11/21/01 04:39 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I also am coming late to this thread, so not much left to rhapsodize about. I do like the expression 'ricer' used most often, altho not exclusively, for potatoes. (I believe it can also be used for spaetzle.)

There are some words for food which I like to hear as much as I like to eat. In place of our clumpy English word 'eggplant', the French have 'aubergine' and the Italians 'melanzana'. The pasta which we call 'bowties' is 'farfalle' (butterflies) in Italian. That reminds me of one of my favorite Italian words (which has nothing to do with the subject at hand, but I have to mention it) 'pipistrella', the word for 'bat' (the kind that flies around). I have a theory that if we had as beautiful a word for the creature, it would not have such a bad rep. Come to think of it, you might get children to eat eggplant if you called it aubergine.

#47973 11/21/01 11:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Said the fork to the spoon, "Who was that ladle I saw you with last night?"

"That was no ladle, that was my knife."

TEd
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
pizza lover's lovers know a peel--

nice one! _ I know the thing you mean but had never heard the name for it; thank you, of troy.

It occurs to me that one of our local bakeries, Bell's, makes pizzas;

so I suppose the instrument they use to remove them from the oven is a peel of Bell's!

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Rhuby--

And those who study the rhythmic and clanging peel of Bell's, are cam-panologists?

WordWrencher

#47976 11/21/01 03:53 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Spatula is one of those words primed for a stock split. Now defined as "a small implement having a broad, flat, flexible blade that is used to mix, spread, or lift material," http://www.bartleby.com/61/2/S0610200.html, the term now (currently, at this point in time, in the present moment) encompasses what have become two distinct tools: the rigid, horizontal spatula used to lift; and the flexible, vertical spatula used to scrape. Nominations are now open for distinct terms for these two tools.

#47977 11/21/01 03:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Spatula Clark; didn't she record Downtown time back way back?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith