Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
old hand
old hand
M
Gee thanks Moss, thank you for this site that allows me to correct my mistakes. I am embarrassed. Over the years my particular brand of smooth, subtle, humour has proved to be a hit with bar room chicks but I am finding out that my humour doesn't travel well beyond the Alabama state line. Let me explain...

I wrote: "I, like Tsuwm, choose to announce my intent to never post on this thread again."
Com'on Moss, don't you think it a bit ironic and a lesser bit patrician and a lot funny, that Tsuwm, one of the greatest of the Pooh-bahs, would announce his "good-bye" by posting on the same thread that he found too lengthy for further postings.

I wrote: "Furthermore I would like to urge all others of good breeding to do the same."
Com'on Moss, nobody sez " good breeding" anymore. I interjected the phrase expressly to insure that even the most humourless reader in Awadland would realise that what I was writing was in jest.

Well now Moss, I know one swinging thing; The next time I poke fun at folk on the Yankee Internet, I will decorate my post with a happy number of those stupid, insipid, little e-cons. I no longer enjoy the conceit that I can convey irony, sarcasm, or wit on this infernal mindless machine.
Milum.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
[irony] [sarcasm][wit]

WW

#47299 11/10/01 04:50 AM
M
moss Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's apparent that the culture of this board doesn't tolerate excessively long robes.
I guess that's OK, wordwind, so long as the culture of this board doesn't force you into a burqua. I just have one question. Maybe you can help me out. I think we can all agree that a consensus freely formed by a representative sampling of participants should be respected as the dominant "culture" of AWADtalk. But who sits in judgment on these rules? Is there a chain of command here like the military with the Pooh-Bah corresponding in rank to a general? For instance, this rule or consensus or guideline (or whatever it is) that more than 100 postings is too many. Who made that rule? Is it written anywhere? Does anyone vote on it? How come no-one seems to know about except those who seek to enforce it? And is this rule being enforced selectively. I don't mean to be disrespectful, Wordwind, I am just trying to understand the "culture" here. It appears that the "Omegatist" thread has been pretty much shut down in deference to pronouncements from on high. It just seems curious to me that an entire thread can be shut down for exhibiting an excessive amount of enthusiasm and collegiality. I hope you [or someone, please] can help me out here, Wordwind, because I am at a loss for words. I have looked everyone on my own and I can't find anything about this 100 posting limit. Is somebody putting me on here?

#47300 11/10/01 06:15 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I apologize for breeching board etiquette and posting on the former thread, but the Ogden Nash piece I stumbled across seemed so appropriate I just had to. And as a flatliner I know how lugubrious opening a long thread can be, even the main threads are taking forever to reveal themselves. It seems I do more waiting than reading or posting when I'm here now. And since I'm over 2,200 posts behind on Q & A and another few hundred back on Misc., the task of catching up seems formidible (if not downright impossible).
So, here, for those who missed it due to my carelessness, is the poem...'cause chuckles are priceless these days!

He must've written this poem with this (the former) thread in mind!

THE SCREEN WITH THE FACE WITH THE VOICE

by Ogden Nash

How long
Is a song?
O Lord,
How long?
A second?
A minute?
An hour?
A day?
A decade?
A cycle of Cathay?
Press the ears
With occlusive fingers;
The whining melody
Lingers, lingers;
The mouthing face
Will not be hid,
But leers at the eye
From the inner lid.
With the sure advance of ultimate doom
The moaning adenoids larger loom;
The seven-foot eyebrows fall and rise
In roguish rapture or sad surprise;
Eyeballs roll with fine emotion,
Like buoys rocked by a treacle ocean;
Tugged like the bell above the chapel,
Tosses the giant Adam's apple;
Oozes the voice from the magic screen,
A slow Niagra of Grenadine;
A frenzy of ripe orgiastic pain,
Niagra gurgling down the drain.

How long
Is a song?
O Lord,
How long?
As long as Loew,
And Keith,
And Albee;
It Was,
And Is,
And Always Shall Be.
This is the string Time may not sever,
This is the music that lasts forever,
This is the Womb,
This is the Tomb,
This is Alpha, Omega, and Oom!
The eyes, the eyes shall follow you!
The throat, the throat shall swallow you!
Hygienic teeth shall wolf you!
And viscous voice engulf you!
The lolloping tongue itself answer your question!
The Adam's Apple dance at your ingestion!
And you shall never die, but live to nourish the bowels
Of deathless celluloid vowels.

© 1947 by Ogden Nash

(note: the italics are mine)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm sure that everyone really has better things to do than to descend once again into the name-calling and general abuse syndrome which seems to have been infecting the board all too frequently of late.

I don't necessarily want the last word here, I just don't want to be continually opening threads where all that're being discussed are the "errors" of others' ways.

On-line time costs me money these days. Please don't waste it for me!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#47302 11/10/01 10:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now Ted, one would think you were 'Merkin with that there "Sue" talk. All one has to do is click on your name to get your "e-mail address" and the site you posted above takes me no-where. I also googled you and guess what? Not one single hit. I stand my ground on this one.
This to Moss "Rules? We don't need no steenkin' rules here!"

#47303 11/10/01 10:53 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
I no longer enjoy the conceit that I can convey irony, sarcasm, or wit on this infernal mindless machine.
Milum.

Well, at least we know what you mean by "good breeding".

#47304 11/10/01 11:43 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Whitman, loved your extended nashing. Thinking about whit's wit, I noted this distinction: a song has a finite end (albeit remote), while bilateral omegatism is (by definition) infinite, endless and non-asymptotic. Hence this non-orignal poem, whose second, sixth, tenth, etc. lines seem particularly apt w/r/t omegatism:

A mad metapoet,
With nothing to say,
Wrote a mad meta-poem
That started this way:

"A mad metapoet,
With nothing to say,
Wrote a mad meta-poem
That started this way:

"'A mad metapoet,
With nothing to say,
Wrote a mad meta-poem
That started this way:

[etc. .....]

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
apologies if this is a YART.

tsuwm recalls: the board bug that we discovered in referencing old threads (the one where you can only see the first page and then you get shunted off to some current thread) Similarly, if you are seeing an old post in threaded mode (as via a Search), you cannot convert to flat to see even that one page.

There may be a solution, though somewhat tedious, when researching old threads. thanks, musick! From your search-result, appearing in threaded mode, you cannot click over to showflat; the shunt will defeat you. But you can get to flat mode with no shunt, if you copy the url (for the theaded view) into your word processor; edit it there to change the letters "showthread" to "showflat", and then paste back the url as edited. At least, that's worked for me.

#47306 11/10/01 03:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nay, my dear,

The other Ted and I share only one thing, the name Ted. One would think that he and I share also the adjectival appelation gallant, but I cannot answer for the other Ted, only for myself on the adjectives that truly apply, and not for the adjectives that are claimed to apply.

Now how's that for a Godforsaken excuse for a sentence???

All seriousness aside, he and I are not the same human being. At first I wasn't sure, but now I am.

TEd
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith