veteran
B
Or, as I have heard, "Fair gives me the 'ump."

#47085 11/08/01 09:31 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A. E. Farrell Vengeance ii. 19 These bloody trees are getting on me quince! ...tsuwm, I'd love to know the context for this statement...

#47086 11/08/01 10:46 AM
P
addict
addict
P
hi tsuwm: Baker [Aust slang] also gives "quince" as an effeminate male; a stupid person

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Or, as I have heard, "Fair gives me the 'ump."

Yes, my mother in law "get the hump" (the slightly more upmarket version of 'ump). I assume it relates to the camel.

#47088 11/08/01 01:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Y'all are just trying to put US'ns on. But it gets my gander up; I'll believe it gets my dander up, and we all know how easily confused the alveolar/palatal/glottal plosives can be.

#47089 11/08/01 02:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
paulb informsBaker [Aust slang] also gives "quince" as an effeminate male...

I can see that; quince just sounds poncey!

#47090 11/08/01 02:44 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Yup!
"gets my dander up" - causing a rise in temper.

"get's my goat" - something that annoys.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Although there is some dispute about how this colorful term for the uncanny ability of some people to rile us, annoy us, irritate us, vex us, and get under our skin, most lexicographers attribute the origins of get your goat to the world of thoroughbred horse racing. Horse trainers have long put a companion in stalls with high-strung thoroughbreds, particularly volatile stallions. ... Goats, among the most boring and least demanding of animals, soothed horses effectively.

Horses tended to become attached to their goat roommates, so much so that rival barns sometimes would steal the goat of a rival the night before a race. The horse would become upset and presumably underperform the next Dayton. So someone whose goat has been gotten is actually being compared to a horse rather than a goat.

-- from Who Put the Butter in Butterfly?, David Feldman

to get one’s goat ... Efforts have been made to trace this American expression back to a Greek source, but without conspicuous success. The French, however, do have an expression, prendre la chevre, which, though defined, “to take offense,” has the literal meaning, “to take, or to snatch, the goat.” Their expression is said to have appeared as early as the sixteenth century, and does appear in seventeenth century as well as current dictionaries. Nevertheless it is most probable that American usage, traceable only to the early twentieth century , was of independent origin: first, because the French phrase does not have the same literal meaning, and, second, even if it did, the borrowing and literal translation would have been much earlier. One account weakly explains our phrase as derived from the racing stable where, sometimes, a goat browses among the horses on the theory that it has a calming effect upon high-strung racers. Deliberate borrowing of the goat from such a stable might thus be considered an unfriendly act, according to that explanation. Be that as it may, the earliest literary quotation thus far exhumed appears in Jack London’s Smoke Bellew (1912), Chapter VII, “The Little Man,” in which the usage has nothing to do with horse-racing. Here “Smoke” and “the little man” face the danger of crossing a rotting snow-bridge over a crevasse. “The little man” crosses first and waits for “Smoke.” “‘Your turn,’ he called across. ‘But just keep a-coming and don’t look down. That’s what got my goat. Just keep a-coming, that’s all. And get a move on. It’s mighty rotten.’”

-- from Heavens to Betsy! & Other Curious Sayings, Charles Funk

Another theory, from me:

The phrase might be connected to the Army-Navy football rivalry. The goat has been the Navy mascot since at least 1893 (see http://www.nadn.navy.mil/PAO/facts/Goat.html) and I believe that the two academies have tried to kidnap each other’s mascots (Army’s is a mule) ever since. The date and place of first usage would fit, and the meaning of “getting one’s goat” to be an irritant would be a direct lift.

#47092 11/09/01 02:07 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
To get one’s dander up. ... Dander still means “anger” in the dialectal speech of several English countries, but the full phrase appears to be entirely American. In the dialectal use we find it in Seba Smith’s The Life and Writings of Major Jack Downing, or Downingsville (1830-33), a book dedicated to General Andrew Jackson. In “Letter LXV,” dated July 20, 1833, the Major tells about a quarrel between him and Mr. Van Buren at Concord, in which Van Buren belittles the major’s qualifications for the presidency. “At this,” says the Major, “may dander began to rise ...”

Through the popularity of these humorous yarns and letters, Smith began to have several imitators. The most pretentious was Charles A. Davis, who, in 1834, brought out Letters of J. Downing, Major, Downingville Militia, Second Brigade. In the third “letter,” after describing a dance, in which “Gineral” Jackson participated, the fictitious Downing goes on to say that several of the men, including Van Buren, then tried on Jackson’s coat, after he had retired: “Then cum my turn; but I see how the cat jump’d, ‘so,’ says I, ‘I’ll jest step out and rig in another room:’ and I went strait to the Gineral, and woke him up, and tell’d him all about it -- he was wrathy as thunder -- and when he gets his dander up, it’s no joke, I tell you.”

Hence, to Davis, rather than to Smith, goes the credit, for what it may amount to, for being the first to record this expression. Probably, however, it was a popular phrase of the period, as shortly thereafter it appeared in the works of other writers, among them, Colonel David Crockett in his Life (1835) and upon the lips of “Sam Slick” in Thomas Haliburton’s The Clockmaker (1837-40).

-- from Heavens to Betsy! & Other Curious Sayings, Charles Funk

When a dog or cat is angry or alarmed the hair on its back stands straight up. So too, by analogy, will a person’s. And when he’s thoroughly aroused, according to this humorous phrase, his dandruff will stand up too -- for “dander” is merely “dandruff.”

-- from Dictionary of Word Origins, Jordan Almond

#47093 11/09/01 02:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just goes to show you that the folks that write these books are jest guessing too -- and it gets on my quince!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith