Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
More likely just a little hump.

TEd
#46865 11/07/01 07:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You boys are being SOOOOO bad! I still have my soap, you know.

#46866 11/07/01 07:43 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I still have my soap, you know.

Just make sure you don't drop it.

#46867 11/07/01 08:31 PM
F
addict
addict
F
We need an architecture historian here...

You rang, my dear? The problem with architectural words is that it is often so hard to decide exactly what a particular building feature should be called because different authorities use different rules. Cupola/lantern is one such tricky divide: a lantern is usually considered a cupola with windows and no floor, so it can light the interior of the building, but some call any cupola with windows a lantern, and others don't call anything a lantern and stick with cupola. The exact dividing line between a bay window and an oriel is equally tricky to spot.

#46868 11/07/01 08:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While I'm no architectural historian, I have taken a fair amount of interest in castles. In 1998 when we were touring Britain, we visited fifteen castles. My wife talked about ABC, "another bloody castle"!

[rabbit]
Many "castles" were just manor houses with defences which might or might not have any relevance to warfare. Often, they were built as homes first, with a bit of defensive walling added on as an afterthought. Often it was just affectation - the defences would have held up any determined attacker for all of five minutes at the most, and usually only that long because they would have hurt from laughing.

One of the most impressive castles, although it's not really as famous as Warwick Castle or the Edwardians in Wales, is Kenilworth in Warwickshire. It was built originally by one of Bill Clinton's ancestors (presumably complete with humidor) in the twelfth century. In the fifteenth it was the home of John of Gaunt (Henry IV's father and Henry V's grandfather). Robert Dudley had it in the sixteenth.

Kenilworth was a home (or more of a palace) as much as a defensive castle. The descriptions from the fifteenth century include mention of the hangings in the Great Hall. These were very expensive tapestries and were effective draught-catchers. They were also a form of conspicuous consumption and portable wealth. The windows were usually "glazed" in the bigger castles, although this could have merely been done with animal skins scraped thin (like vellum) in the meaner sort of castle.

They may not have been cosy retreats, but the castles which were also palaces were probably quite comfortable - at least for the owner and his family. This double use was quite common from the thirteenth century through to the early seventeenth. You should also remember that when war was not imminent, the owners of castles often either lived in smaller buildings within the bailey or close by. The Earl of Leicester actually built a manor house within the bailey of Kenilworth when he had the castle in the late 1500s. Great for bird-pulling, and the bird he was trying to pull was Elizabeth I. Didn't do him much good, did it? Henry V built a retreat outside the walls of Kenilworth and lived there for some time after Agincourt, but he was still within a very short distance of safety. Others may not have even lived in their castles at all except under wartime conditions. John of Gaunt lived in London quite a lot rather than at Kenilworth when he was in England, where he had an inn named, from memory, Cold Harbour. This was just a large house or inn-type building with no real defences at all.

[/rabbit]

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#46869 11/07/01 09:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh do tell more about how John of Gaunt, who died in 1399-- (the last year of th 14th century) made his home in Kenilworth-- In the fifteenth it was the home of John of Gaunt (Henry IV's father and Henry V's grandfather). Robert Dudley had it in the sixteenth.-- no wonder SWMBO was complaining about another ABC!

in the early years, John of Gaunt had a very luxurious castle in London, on the Strand-- the Savoy, it was very close to the location of the church of St Clemen(t) the Dane (as in Oranges and Lemons, say the bells of St Clemin's) which is in the middle of the Strand..

sorry, but one of my favorite books is Katherine by Anya Seton, the story of Katherine Swynford, John's long time mistress, and third wife, (and grandmother to Henry V.) The london hotel, the savoy is close at to the site too, but the castle was on the river side of the strand, and the hotel is further in.. lovely place, spent christmas of 1972 there!

#46870 11/07/01 10:00 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I hate to admit it, but it was only a few years ago that I learned he was so named because he was born in or at least owned land in Ghent. At least I didn't think it meant he looked undernourished.

#46871 11/07/01 10:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay, okay, I was doing it from memory. John of Gaunt was a real rogue, a mercenary dressed up in diplomat's clothing. My knowledge of Kenilworth's denizens comes from reading about Bolingbroke and that ne'er-do-well son of his'n, Henry V. They were definitely 15th century characters.

Possibly Bolingbroke and Hal had the use of Cold Harbour - certainly Henry V spent a lot of time there while his father was still alive and rotting away. I assumed that John of Gaunt owned it. Certainly the Hollands (close relatives) did for a while, but I'm not sure when. There is still a Cold Harbour Lane or Street in London.

My history references are still packed away and are likely to remain there for some time.

And beware the factual accuracy of novels anyway. Authors of fiction have been known to twist facts to suit themselves, you know ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith