Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#45916 10/29/01 05:59 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Let us simply recall that this thread is under "Wordplay and Fun", and agree that this particular wordplay is no long fun.

In an attempt to redirect it: a prize is hereby offered to whomsoever may first complete the answer to my above inquiry thanks, Bingley! as to the 16 moons of Jupiter. IYTMIWBYAB.

#45917 10/30/01 05:26 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I suppose, Dr., the fault lies with whoever failed to inform the Sgt. that he was not in Kansas any more. Banci (also known as waria, a portmanteau word from the Indonesian words wanita (woman) and pria (man), or wadam, another portmanteau from wanita and Adam) are common in SE Asia. There was a big fuss a couple of years ago when a Thai banci (I forget the Thai word -- something like kaa-phoey meaning ladyboy) became a professional kickboxer and some of the more masculine players refused to play against him/her.

I first came across the word waria when I was on holiday in South Sulawesi and visted the palace of the Sultans of Bone. The guide was explaining (in English) about the position of waria in the old royal court (they formed a priestly class in pre-Islamic times) and I was getting more and more confused thinking he meant warrior.

Bingley

Bingley
#45918 10/30/01 09:18 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I have no idea how it happened that the "r" word upsets you so much. People joke about the most horrible things, and "r" is just one of them.

We discussed the list of words that are no longer taboo on British TV. I think what has happened in recent comedy has shown up how silly it is to use the words, regardless of context, as a marker of "bad behaviour", I've said before that for many people here f*** *** for Southern ladies just means "very". Simultaneously, comedians have, in the main, moved away from subject areas which are insulting to the "victims" of the joke, whether because of their race, creed, gender, sexual orientation or disability. Jokes about male violence against women (or the other combinations discussed), like mother-in-law jokes, English, Irishmen and Scotsman jokes are considered to be either a) not funny and b) insulting. So, I'm sorry Bill, Helen is speaking for a large tranche of womankind when she objects to jokes about rape.

I am aware that things are different in the forces, the emergency room and the operating theatre where jokes sometimes help people deal with the real acts of inhumanity that people have to face, just be aware that this board is none of those places and continues to be open to a wide audience, at least some of whom are women.

#45919 10/31/01 06:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Adrastea, the distributor of rewards and punishments, was the daughter of Jupiter and Ananke
Amalthea was the nymph who nursed the infant Jupiter with goat's milk.
Ananke was the mother of Adrastea, by Jupiter.
Callisto was a nymph, beloved of Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera changed her into a bear and Zeus then placed her in the sky as the constellation Ursa Major.
Carme was the mother, by Zeus of Britomartis, a Cretan goddess
Elara was the mother by Zeus of the giant Tityus
Europa was a Phoenician princess abducted to Crete by Zeus, who had assumed the form of a white bull, and by him the mother of Minos.
Ganymede was a Trojan boy of great beauty whom Zeus carried away to be cup bearer to the gods
Himalia was a nymph who bore three sons of Zeus (Jupiter).
Io was a maiden who was loved by Zeus (Jupiter) and transformed into a heifer in a vain attempt to hide her from the jealous Hera.
Leda was queen of Sparta and the mother, by Zeus in the form of a swan, of Pollux and Helen of Troy.
Lysithea was a daughter of Oceanus and one of Zeus' lovers
Metis was a Titaness who was the first wife of Zeus (Jupiter).
Lysithea was a daughter of Oceanus and one of Zeus' lovers
Sinope was a woman said to have been unsuccessfully (!) courted by Zeus
Thebe was a nymph, daughter of the river god Asopus.

Edited to add of Thebe:

A Naias daughter of the River Asopos, she was abducted by Zeus to the town of Thebes which was named after her

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Leda was queen of Sparta and the mother, by Zeus in the form of a swan, of Pollux and Helen of Troy

But not Castor???

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
According to legend, since Leda was-involved-in-whatever-activity(ies) OK, Helen?, on on the same day, Zeus *and *also with her (Leda's) husband, there was some uncedrtainty as to parentage. But it was agreed that Helen, at least, was fathered by Zeus.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
:Here is a lovely URL to Bullfinch's Mythology. I spent a pleasant hour there. One surprise, is said that at one point Theseus abducted Helen. No mention of misbehaviour towards her, no mention how she got free.
It did mention Castor and Pollux being her brothers. Castor invented a potent laxative, and Pollux was the original polluter.

http://www.bulfinch.org/fables/bull20.html

#45923 10/31/01 08:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Madison Avenue was involved. Castor was moved to wheel it out with great fanfare.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Elara was the mother by Zeus of the giant Tityus

Also known as Anna Nicole Smith

>Io was a maiden who was loved by Zeus (Jupiter) and transformed into a heifer

If heifer I would leave you
It wouldn't be in summer....

I just realized I'm missing one of the sixteen!

No wonder you haven't agreed to BMAB.

I will find the missing lady.

Ted

TEd
#45925 10/31/01 08:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pasiphae was the wife of Minos and mother, by a white bull, of the Minotaur.

TEd
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith