Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#45906 10/28/01 08:21 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
DEar WW: I have seen a lot of ads for unusual dormitory delights, but never one for a rape bed.

#45907 10/28/01 08:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
HoT

The ramp I am familiar with is a shortened form of rampion. These things are prolific in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, where there is an annual rampion festival. I've never been to one, but they say you can smell it for miles.

TEd
#45908 10/28/01 08:54 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
The best-in-show award being known as the Champion Rampion?

#45909 10/28/01 10:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The stems, when dried and pounded, yield a highly absorbent cotton-like mass. In fact, there is in WV a company that produces a brand of Champion Rampion Tampion. I read about it in Harvard Lampion. Or was it a sanitary nampion?

TEd
#45910 10/28/01 10:35 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
TEd, though I'd like to clean up your mispronunciations, this is not the sort of subject I'd re-vamp-ya-on.

#45911 10/29/01 05:04 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

I found that many satellites of the planet Jupiter were named after Zeus' love interests. Those I can readily identify are boldfaced below (* indicating male).
Jupiter has 16 satellites: Adrastea, Amalthea, Ananke, Callisto, Carme, Elara, Europa, Ganymede*, Himalia, Io, Leda, Lysithea, Metis, Pasiphae, Sinope and Thebe.

Question: Were others so named as well?

I recognise Almathea. She was a goat who served as Zeus's wetnurse when he was a wee godlet.

Pasiphae was the wife of King Minos of Crete and refused the attentions of one of the gods (Poseidon, I think). She was cursed to fall in love with a bull. In order to handle the ithyphallic bovine she ordered Daedulus to build her a hollow bronze but very sexy cow which she hid in to enjoy the bull's services (Question: Does inducing someone to have sex with you under the impression that you are somebody else count as rape?). The offspring from this irregular union was the Minotaur.

The names Adrastea, Metis, and Thebe ring bells but I can't remember what the stories were.

Bingley

Bingley
#45912 10/29/01 02:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
With a kook, resistance may be fatal.

But enjoyment would be impossible.

There is a song from the Carmina Burana called ich was ein chint se wolgetan (http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/songs2-msg.text Search for "chint") which is a tale of rape pure and simple, but most modern renditions seem to treat it as a case of innocent dalliance. It says nothing of the meaning of the song, merely of the lack of sensitivity of the interpreter.

#45913 10/29/01 02:59 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Bingley: thank you for your erudite post. In regard to your query," Does inducing someone to have sex
with you under the impression that you are somebody else count as rape?)." I have a pertinent but sordid anecdote.
The medical laboratory in which I worked in WWII was located in penthouses atop the University of Santo Tomas in Manila. One of the penthouses was assigned to a Military Police unit. One day the CO of that unit showed me some photographs taken by one of his men. The first showed a coyly posing androgynous figure at an angle with clamped thighs concealing genitals. The second showed a furiously scowling effeminate male forced to stand facing forward with feet wide apart, with male genitals in full view.
A black male GI had been solicited for sex by the above individual dressed as a female.The black Sgt. was puzzled by the position of his partner under him, and reached down and found male genitalia that did not belong to him. Violence ensued, and the MP's were called, and the pictures I saw were taken.
So dear Bingley: tell me what charges should have been placed against whom?

#45914 10/29/01 03:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from tsuwm's post above

The act of taking anything by force; violent seizure (of goods), robbery
The act of carrying away a person, esp. a woman, by force.
Violation or ravishing of a woman. Also, in mod. usage, sexual assault upon a man.

and from Rapunzel's.
rape
n.
1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

i will accepted i was part of this thread taking this turn, and did my best to turn it round, and encourage WW with the idea of Rape as food crop, and moved on to Ramp, (which was as noted, dr. bill, a new word for you.)

but now its out of control
Both set of definitions of the act of rape, whether it of land, or law or humans, point out, the rape is violent, assault, by force.

yet, some think are you listening Dr. bill? that this is a subject for joking.
just what do you need? salacious details? date and time and location? Do you think it is okay to joke about an assault that leave your body as a crime scene? a crime that all to often, no matter what the evidence, is impossible to prove.. (she just likes rough sex... she wanted it.. she wasn't a virgin, so maybe she just changed her mind, and so on) a violent assault.. that leaves a woman bruised and bleeding, and at risk for pregnancy and infection.. but hey, lets joke about it! I have seen a lot of ads for unusual dormitory delights, but never one for a rape bed--just who is this supposed to delight? i don't think the majority of the men on this board are violent, or would agree that rape is a delight. do you think they do? do you really think the way to interact with women is with violence? That is close to one of the most insulting phrases i have ever seen posted.

but i guess we women are just too sensitive right? many be we should just put on a veil, and never go out of the house, and pretend not to exist?

#45915 10/29/01 05:21 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: I have no idea how it happened that the "r" word upsets you so much. People joke about the most horrible things, and "r" is just one of them.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith