Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
#45780 10/26/01 06:13 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
caer edin; Carriden in Linlithgowshire ????

#45781 10/26/01 06:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Caer Edinn

Carriden

Dae ye no live in Edinburgh?

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
That was where I erred, tsuwm.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
but obviously the word wanted here is obviate, to make obvious.

*chuckle*. nice one, ron.

but seriously... that word seems to cause a considerable deal of confusion in that it often can't necessarily be defined by context; eg: "The customer left the service bay in a huff, threatening lawsuit and spewing venom as to the ineptitude of the mechanic who'd left oily footprint stains on his leather, obviating a telephonic customer satisfaction survey."

it just seems to be a strange word, but i still use it often because i can't think of a suitable non-phrase alternative.

oh, and at the risk of causing general panic by returning the thread to its origin, Rubrick used the word "Hallowe'en" the other day, and i've never seen it spelled that way. where does the contraction come from? (apologies if this is a yart; i'm about 3000 threads behind these days)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a considerable deal of confusion
actually®, re: obviate, to meet and dispose of or do away with (a thing); to clear out of the way; to prevent by anticipatory measures

I neglected to use the [tongue-in-cheek] then; you will have noticed that I usually utilize (or use) the word 'obviousize' in that context. imagine the ensuing chaos in the event....
-ron o.

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The apostrophe takes the place of a "v" in earlier spelling.

#45786 10/26/01 07:35 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Back in the twenties, there were no treats, just tricks. Volunteer firemen set fire to houses abandoned on unprofitable farms, so as to make a few bucks putting out the fire. Rockets left over from the Fourth of July were laid down in gutters, setting fire to a hundred yards of accumulated leaves. Outhouses were tipped over. A favorite of mine was taking heel plate off shoe last, tucking it under shingle of house with long strong thread attached, hiding, and stroking taut thread with rosined piece of leather. It would make a noise that sounded as though the wall was being destroyed. Owner would come out, not be able to see anything, go back into house. Repeat ad lib.
It was not until the early thirties that an elderly couple from Chicago brought the treat idea to our town. We thought they were trying to trick us, meaning to beat the bejesus out of us if we let them get ahold of us.
When we found out they were sincere, the new custom was avidly accepted by the kids. Not necessarily by all adults. I remember a Saturday Evening Post cover, showing some kids being frightened by householder opening door wearing a threatening devil mask.
How about somebody else recounting Halloween anecdotes?

#45787 10/26/01 08:53 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Ah, that will be the Welsh, you’ll be wanting to talk to our Maverick, he’ll know it as "Caer Eiddyn".

Historians like Rhu may prefer our name from the Middle Ages “Castellum Puellarum”

Myself, I’ll stick with 'din Eidyn' (Eidyn's Hill Fort), or is that a place in the land of the kiwi?

#45788 10/27/01 02:08 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Back in the twenties, there were no treats, just tricks.
I have to back up Dr. Bill here ... If there was a neighbor who disliked kids and always complained to parents -- we would ring their doorbells and run away...this was the mid- 1930s. Or kids ran soap over windows. If someone was particularly disliked the boys would use soft wax which was the devil to remove - and sometimes trees and bushes were draped in toilet paper causing no end of fuss trying to remove it, especially if it rained and paper got wet. Pretty tame stuff.
First I heard or saw of "Trick or Treat" : it was a slogan in a newspaper ad for a store selling Halloween candies! We quickly saw the advantages to that and went candy-collecting by ringing doorbells and yelling Trick or Treat. The wiser grownups were also quick to see the advantages of giving candy rather than having tricks played on them.
In the early T-or-T days we would get donuts or apples, cupcakes, cookies or candies. Now the candy has to be packaged.
US Rep Edith Nourse Rogers lived in our town http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USASrogers.htm Mrs. Rogers gave quarters to children who rang her doorbell ... need I say the poorer children of the town were lined up at her door! A quarter (US 25 cent coin) in those days paid for your lunch time milk at school for a week or bought five big candy bars, or five soft drinks!
I do not remember any Trick or Treating during the war years but maybe I was just getting too old to indulge in childish pursuits! I was a very grown up 13 in 1942.

#45789 10/27/01 05:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
jmh commented some time ago: According to the following site, swedes are also known as swedish turnips and were developed in the seventeen century and gave a url to a New Zealand website ...

Swedes are large turnips, of that there is no doubt. Most New Zealanders north of the Clutha/Molyneux River (and that's nearly 99% of the population) wouldn't want to see them on their plates, however. They are most considered to be cattle food; however there is the odd philistine in more northerly parts who actually likes the muck. My pater, for one. Mashed swede usually. The smell of cooked swede is something I will be the better for its never passing my nostrils again .....

yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 709 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith