Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How does Jo pronounce forks?

Like Fawkes. Is there an alternative?

Well, for starters you could at least pretend there was an R in there somewhere. You know, R like in Ralph? You Brits are so hot to accuse US'ns of Reader's Digest spelling® but you grab all those letters that you don't even bother to use. You don't leave us any even if we *do pronounce them. Sheesh!

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Well, for starters you could at least pretend there was an R in there somewhere.

Oh, I do pronounce the "r", it is just that you guys can't hear it! I suggest a hearing test.

If the "r" was missing it would sound like "fox" and we'd be in the feral thread with lots of angry Ozzies (they are very fond of the European fox and its favourite snack the European rabbit), then where would we be?

In forks, the "r" sounds just like an "r" should, are you suggesting that I speak Cornish?

Now back to some other good words: Aluminium, favourite, orientate ... mumble, mumble, lets see how many people I can upset today!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, NY'ers do that too-- Moshula Parkway, is Marsh a loo Parkway the R is soft, but it is most definately there, and the A in the middle is a a schwa, (but most definately not a U!)

just cause you don't need an R spell the word, doesn't mean it doesn't have an R when you say it. there are plenty of other word we NY'ers add the sound of R to, but i can never think of any of them.. it takes out of Towner's to hear them..
Hey Faldage, get the ASp in here.. she has lived here, and i bet she will be able think of lots of them.

there is an alternate way to say the name, Ma shu la-- but this is less common.
(i have a PM somewhere, from someone.. i know who, its one of the MD's on the board, who lives in Worster MA, and his name is... is... who told me, Who Moshula was! I'll go look it up, and come back and edit..)

#45853 11/01/01 03:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Preliminary googling indicates that better results will be had using the spelling mosholu.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 437 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith