Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
#4414 08/07/00 01:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tsuwm:

Thanks for setting me straight. Somewhere I had gotten the idea that there were ides only in March, May, July and October, which were the months in which the ides occurred on the 15th rather than the 13th.

My statement should have been that I didn't inform the editor that the date tax returns are due is no on the Ides of April, or as I was making the pun, "the ides of taxes."

Thanks again!!

Ted

TEd
#4415 08/07/00 02:00 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
today's "Maven's Word of the Day" discusses 'freshmen';
I submit this without further comment:

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/

#4416 08/07/00 03:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> today's "Maven's Word of the Day" discusses 'freshmen'; I submit this without further comment

So freshman is now politically incorrect. I propose that we create a new word based on the concept we find in sophomore, which literally means wise and foolish from the Greek. How about calling people who haven't become wise-foolish foolish-foolish. Voila! moromore. Which would make a sad freshamn from the southern Philippines a morose Moro moromore. Heck, even Shakespeare talked about a six-pack of 'em -- two Moros and two Moros and two Moros.

Hmmm. I think I just fell in that damned French river again.

TEd
#4417 08/09/00 01:47 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>I propose that we create a new word based on the
concept we find in sophomore, which literally means wise and foolish from the Greek.

this must be the natural followup -- today's "Maven" debunks this notion, claiming the 'soph' in sophomore is more akin to the Sophists, who were "clever", the other meaning of sophos.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Bill Buckley, in his (admittedly pedantic) defense of the old style of using gender-loaded language, points out that there is actually a linguistic trope which "legitimizes" this language; i.e., the synecdoche. per Merriam-Webster a synecdoche is a figure of speech by which a part is put for the whole (as fifty sail for fifty ships), the whole for a part (as society for high society), the species for the genus (as cutthroat for assassin), the genus for the species(as a creature for a man), or the name of the material for the thing made (as boards for stage). Buckley's point seems to be that such constructions will always be be warranted in literature and the arts, for the mere sound if nothing else.

#4419 08/09/00 05:49 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I propose that we create a new word ...

Interesting debate and completely alien to me.

We have a rather quaint way of naming people at university.

People in their first year are called - First Years
People in their second year are called - Second Years
People in their third year are called - Third Years

No problem with gender differences there.

During the week at my university (and I assume, others) there was a "Freshers Fair" where those new to the university, Freshers, could go along and select clubs or activities to join. I started in 1978 and I cannot recall ever having heard the word "Freshman", so it either died out years ago or was never used. I don't think we were called Freshers for more than the first few weeks, after that were just called first years. I have only come across Sophomore in films and was never really sure which period of time it related to.

So the short answer is you don't need to study Greek to replace "Freshman" you could call people "Freshers", "First Years" or perhaps even ......."Newbies"

#4420 08/09/00 06:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>this must be the natural followup -- today's "Maven" debunks this notion, claiming the 'soph' in sophomore is more akin to the Sophists, who were "clever", the other meaning of sophos.

Alas, I am at work and my OED is at home. All three dictionaries I have access to here say sophomore arises from sophos plus mor rather than from sophemer or however it was she spelled it. I'm certainly going to check on it when I get home this evening. The article in Mavens' Word a Day sounds convincing, though possibly just a tad on the glib side. Meanwhile,

Ted wanders off singing:

My OED's outside, covered with snow,
The New Net's a lonely town,
when you're the only surfer boy around.

TEd
#4421 08/09/00 09:42 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
Here's a humorous addition to this thread. It's from the (online) University of Victoria's Writer's Guide. The Genuine Canadian Buzz-Phrase Generator provides a model for creating meaningless phrases for use in a business or scientific report. Combine one word from each column.
Col 1 Col 2 Col 3
integrated management options
overall organizational flexibility
systematized reciprocal mobility
parallel digital programming
functional logistical concept

The list continues, but you get the picture!
(Just previewed this post and it looks like the columns and words ran together; sorry I don't know how to fix this.)

#4422 08/11/00 03:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
jackiemw--

Yep, sounds like Dilbert-speak to me!

#4423 08/11/00 05:01 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

>>Yep, sounds like Dilbert-speak to me!

Jackie,

"Dilbert" was what first flashed in my mind when I read this thread. Unfortunately, (and this is why Dilbert is so popular) corporate America is laden with these kind of phrases. I'm guessing most MBA programs have a required class in Corporate-Drivel

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith