Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
#43000 10/07/01 02:15 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The reason beer goes through you faster than water?
It doesn't have to stop and change color.

The above is a very, very, very old JOKE!
Sheeesh! (Musing to self : Age is a funny thing, either you're ignored or you're taken too seriously!)

There's another joke about "Golden Years" (old age) and the color .... never mind, better not run the risk of someone's getting serious and telling me to just drink more water.

Aside to non-US'ns :
There are two candy bars : both made of coconut and covered with chocolate. They come in a package, each package containing two pieces of the candy.
"Mounds" are just that; two pieces of chocolate covered coconut.
"Almond Joy" is like a "Mounds" but has two almonds on each of the two sections.
The candies are made by the same company and are advertised in commercials together with the jingle/slogan :
"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."
You can figure that out, I'm sure.

Sorry to be so late posting but have just found a few spare moments and am trying to catch up!
Aloha to all.
wow

#43001 10/07/01 04:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

#43002 10/07/01 06:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wordwind--WONDERFUL! <GRIN>

#43003 10/07/01 07:30 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
> If you had bought $1000 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock)one year ago, drank all the beer, and traded in the cans for the nickel deposit, you would have $79

Sadly, you would have not have done so well with the Budweiser in the UK because I am not aware that it is possible to get any money back with the cans.

We used to get money back when we returned bottles of "pop" (see previous discussion for terminology of pop/soda/assorted fizzy drinks) but I can't recall being given money back on cans of beer - we can take them for recycling but no cash changes hands.

Incidently, I have always pronounced it Budveiser which caused astonishement to a young waiter in the USA - am I alone in this (maybe I am)? I also baffled him when asking if I wanted "Swiss cheese" by asking precisely which kind of Swiss cheese he was referring to (Emmental, Gruyere, Raclette ... list continued at [url]http://www.switzerland-cheese.com/index_1.htm/url].

#43004 10/09/01 04:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The above is a very, very, very old JOKE!

And an outside one, at that.

As an aside: Yellow is easier to see but harder to read; white is easier to read but harder to see.

#43005 10/09/01 04:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:am I alone in this (maybe I am)? I also baffled him when asking if I wanted "Swiss cheese" by asking precisely which kind of Swiss cheese he was referring to (Emmental, Gruyere, Raclette ...

Swiss cheese is the cheese with the holes in it.. gruyere is always processed, shaped into wedges, wrapped in tin foil, and sold in little (3 to 4 inch) wheels. Swiss Knight is the most common brand. you eat it as snack with crackers. raclette is read about in recipes, its supposed to be used for fondue. but no one really make fondue. you eat it at ski lodge, love it, and some one buys you a fondue pot as a result. the fondue pot collects dust, and is eventually sold at a garage sale, to some one who has just come back from a ski trip, where they had fondue at the lodge.

#43006 10/09/01 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
no one really make fondue. you eat it at ski lodge, love it, and some one buys you a fondue pot as a result. the fondue pot collects dust, and is eventually sold at a garage sale, to some one who has just come back from a ski trip, where they had fondue at the lodge.

Mebbe we should start using them to store fruit cake in. Duas aves uno calculo caede

#43007 10/09/01 07:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Of Troy, I must disagree with you on availibility of natural Gruyère in the US. I currently have a small chunk in my refri. I bought it at my grocer's deli section and it is imported from Switzerland, available at a paltry $8.29 lb. This is why it's a small chunk.

#43008 10/09/01 11:22 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
[beware: food related - not for the faint hearted]

>I currently have a small chunk in my refri. I bought it at my grocer's deli section and it is imported from Switzerland, available at a paltry $8.29 lb. This is why it's a small chunk.

I just looked up Gruyère at a local supermarket site. It costs £9.59/KG which according to my rough calculations costs around the same. Maybe we just expect to pay more for food , good mature Cheddar costs around £7/KG but it looks like mild "value" Cheddar, probably coloured and definitely tasteless costs around £2.50/KG.

I was going to say that under EU legislation we wouldn't be allowed to call cheese "Swiss" if it wasn't from Switzerland but then Switzerland isn't in the EU ... By the same rule "Mozzarella" is always from Italy but "Cheddar" seems to be more generic with Canadian cheddar on sale alongside English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish.

Raclette isn't used for fondue. In the alps, you get a heating thingy with a wedge of Raclette, some bread and potatoes. As the Raclette heats up it melts and you skim off the melted bit to add to your potatoes. http://www.stud.unisg.ch/~mboesch/swiss-special/raclette.html Fondue is usually made with Gruyère and/or Emmental, white wine & kirsch in my experience, mind you, I have just looked up some sites for fondue recipes and I see the problem - some of the inventions I came across are quite revolting.

PS Faldage, I don't like fruit cake either. I do remember a friend from the US eyeing our Christmas cake suspiciously saying "do you really eat it?"

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
white wine & kirsch...

Absinthe.

Absinthe.

(Absinthe makes the YART grow fondue)

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith