Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
#42522 10/16/01 10:05 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ah now I understand what you folks are saying - a Mae West is a life vest. NEVER heard that before in my life.

Mae West for cake: well, it was designed with her in mind. The yellow frosting (blond hair), white cake (for a look of purity) and chocolate covered (for the sinful side).

It is also used as a nickname for French people in Québec. On their work breaks French people will most often have "un Mae West pi un Pepsi" (a Mae West and a Pepsi). We were the biggest consumers of both these items in Canada for the longest time. So both these terms are used to describe French Québecers.

#42523 10/17/01 12:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it typically creates a one-word slang term out of a two-word phrase.

Well, not quite. The canonical process starts with a single word from which is derived a two word phrase (or two words linked with an AND) in which the second word rhymes with the one word being replaced. Then the second word of the two word phrase is dropped and the first word is used exclusively*. Example: Peaches and Cream for dream -- Oy 'ad the stryngest peaches last noight. This would result in a life vest being called a Mae. One problem here would be that I don't think the Brits would be likely to call the device in question a vest.

*This is not always the case; sometimes the whole two word phrase is used. This *would allow for the phrase Mae West to be used for vest, but see my objection above regarding use of the word vest to describe the life jacket. I also don't think that Cockney rhyming slang was a great source of military slang. But I could be wrong. I'm sure we have plenty of folks who can correct me.

#42524 10/17/01 01:05 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I don’t think that’s quite accurate, Keiva – I can think of plenty of examples of cockney that work the other way about, such as “apples and pears” for ‘stairs’. Like most argots, the key is to draw a line between the insiders and the outsiders.

I am inclined to think you have hit the nail right on the head, sunny Gym – the original term would have been something quite pompous and officious like inflatable vest for which the substitution of “Mae West” would have been a natural inflation. To put it in context you have only to imagine the class-ridden system of England in that time: if the educated officers introduced new equipment with a fancy name, it would be imperative for the ranks to make it their own by a linguistic twist. But Rhuby is more expert on CRS than I – come on in, Rhuby, the water’s quite buoyant!

#42525 10/17/01 02:29 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
mav: IMHO, you're right, and I was mistaken, regarding the general structure of cockney rhyming slang. Thanks.

#42526 10/17/01 02:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Since this thread already has 146 posts(with mine), I invite everyone, free of charge, to move the discussion to Mae West and Buoyancy thread. See you there!

#42527 10/19/01 07:21 AM
R
addict
addict
R
To bring a few threads together on Cockney Rhyming slang.
Growing up after WWII I knew that a Mae West was a life jacket, long before I knew who Mae West was, and even longer before I realised why. Life vests are invariably known as Life Jackets in UK so we are unlikely to have made the rhyming connection, though someone else might have. I agree with the bosom theory, though if they were officially known as Life Vests in the forces, then Mav could still be correct.

On "taters in the mould" (reverting to UK spelling, I used a US dictionary looking up the meanings of mold/mould last time), my introduction to that and many other CRS phrases was via my father and grandfather, about 45 years ago. They were both from the East End of London, though not born within the sound of Bow Bells. And "taters in the mould" is listed in my 1969 CRS dictionary and on many Googled sites. Yoda is right that most CRS phrases have a natural rythmic feel though there are other examples of long and awkward phrases (tumble (down the sink)=drink) and of single words (Aris(totle)=bottle). Since the phrases are usually shortened, the original awkwardness doesn't matter that much. But many of the phrases sound contrived to me anyway. (Tumble down the sink, grumble and gruntyes, it's rude,..)

You may be interested in this site:
http://www.surflondon.co.uk/HTML/sections.php3?op=viewarticle&artid=211 which has other London slang as well.
They (and other sites) mention multilevel CRS in which the original CRS word gets rerhymed.
So Arse => Bottle and Glass => Bottle =>Aristotle => Aris => April in Paris => April.
I have not heard that one in real life but I have heard Bottle => Aristotle => Aris => Plaster of Paris => Plaster (for drink) and could that be the derivation of Plastered for drunk?
There are many CRS phrases which are in common use in UK English, most people are unaware of the origins.

#42528 10/19/01 10:46 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
could that be the derivation of Plastered for drunk?

I like the idea Rod - we could play Six Degrees of CRS Separation!

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 604 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith