Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#42306 09/23/01 05:12 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[some time back]Assuming things get back to what passes for normal, then most people will get back to work, if not, we'll deal with the problem when it happens.

furthermoreover, and in the second place, we currently have the eight "top topics" in I&A spawned from The Topic, not to mention the first of the attempts to move one of these to miscellany (which failed, only to be tried a second time here, but meanwhile going strong there), not to mention a couple more politically bent threads (Ghengis(?) Khan and Lincoln)....

this is getting back to normal?! rhetorical question

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
this is getting back to normal?! rhetorical question

Around here? Sure, rhetorically speaking.

#42309 09/23/01 10:07 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I don't feel that I can tolerate any more of the public "did too/did not" types of posts

Second that emotion. Jackie, thy will be done.

And may I propose that if one feels (s)he simply must say "did not" or the like, that in lieu of long contention (which may engender counter-contention), we invent a simple one-word term to be used for the purpose? For which term I acronymically proffer WEED, standing for We Each Edit Discord.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>we currently have the eight "top topics" in I&A spawned from The Topic

Surely this is capitalism in action, I thought that we were supposed to support the notion of a free market. Here we vote with our posts, rather than cash. If we don't want to talk about the fact that 7,000 poor souls have died and ways that it could have been avoided/could be avoided in the future, then I think we'd be a pretty sad bunch. Come un tsuwm, we're not all so single minded and able to brush world events out of our heads, part of me wants to try and the other part of me can't while the WTC still burns and people are left unburied. I respect the point of view of those who prefer to hide in a cupboard, only discuss the matter with those who agree with them or prefer to discuss the matter elsewhere which means that I support the idea that discussion should be restricted to clearly marked threads and without personal abuse, so I'll carry on in white for those who don't want to read.

I might have spoken too soon about press coverage of the event in the USA. I did think that coverage in the New York Times, from what I saw online, was quite broad ranging. From what I've read in the last couple of days, television coverage in the USA has stuck to pretty well on side of the argument. Mind you, I understand that foreign affairs, rarely get covered in the sound bites that pass for television reporting. It was described in one report as "unpatriotic" to do anything else, I'm interested to hear from anyone if that really is the case {PM me if you think differently}. It is a strange loop, the television stations pump out one sided rubbish and then justify it by citing "media-led" public opinion. It happens here too, although flag waving has been pretty well taken over by the ultra right wing hating everyone who isn't a white thug National Front, so the flags don't get too much of an airing.

I hope that the story that a US radio station wasn't allowed to play "Imagine" was just another myth. If not, then freedom of speech really is worth fighting for, even if we end up with a few disagreements, anything is better than the "Sound of Silence".

So maybe the on-line airing of the past few day is just another representation of the culture difference that exists between those of us who would prefer not to be divided by a common language. I'll try to keep quiet but I'm with Helen, I'd rather hear views that I don't agree with than people not talk about it.

creeps out the door to discuss "orientated" with Jackie

#42312 09/24/01 10:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
creeps out the door to discuss "orientated" with Jackie
Ahem--let me "assist" you in getting out that door, my friend, so you can listen up and listen good: there ain't no such word, d'you hear me? T'ain't so such, no how--not in "proper" English, anyway!
There, tsuwm, a good and proper rant about language--what didja think?

#42313 09/24/01 12:22 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Very good Jackie! even tho' SADLY deluded!!

But my bitterness at Keiva's post does not die, and is also directly language related. You are right Keiva: I did not extend you that courtesy because you used an extremely offensive tone and terminology in your post. In the light of the events in which thousands of us have lost friends and relations and when thousands more seem set to do so, to use the word “hijack “ in relation to my posting a simple housekeeping suggestion was either grossly stupid or grossly insensitive or both. An obvious alternative (if you had actually wanted to achieve a different outcome rather than merely get on your hind legs) would have been, for example, to pm me with the suggestion there might be a more appropriate slot somewhere else for the post which so irritates you by its placement.

And this, too, is relevant here because it is about how we conduct our dialogues.

#42314 09/24/01 05:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
With deep apologies

#42315 09/24/01 05:31 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Keiva: you used an extremely offensive tone and terminology in your post.

My dear maverick, I WEED you loud and clear.

I regret my use of any word which you perceived as offensive to your ears. And reciprocally, I trust.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith