Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Only problem with Loanwords from German is that it's impossible to post there.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>Yeah, that'd be a good place for discussions of a scatological nature.

>Only problem with Loanwords from German is that it's impossible to post there.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, ron o

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Sorry. I posted before I read yours, tsuwm.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
We could simply decide to hijack some moribund, little-used category of the main index (such as "Loanwords from German" or "AWAD in Schools"), and use it.
Only problem with Loanwords from German is that it's impossible to post there

Could that category be made accessible, or could another category be used (if the concept is deemed desirable)?

In other words: are you noting an insuperable objection, or merely a correctable detail?

#39873 08/31/01 03:36 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Guess the Pooh-Bahs will just have to bear up and be anchors for this Great Experiment by Anu (bless him) and try to steer a steady course as folks come aBoard and then debark.

I don't presume that, for one moment, you speak for them all. This 'ugliness' (and I think Jackie picked her word adequately) caused a lot of people to leave very early on - well before anyone had even reached addict status - remember Philip Chambers, anyone? It was also the reason I left a year ago. Things could have improved with time, indeed they should have - which is why I came back. But there are a number of individuals who see the forum as 'their' territory and are pedantic in their nature and not too fussed about seeing newer members develop or even staying - despite your enthusiastic welcomes when they arrive.

Most of you are intelligent, wise and entertaining and the world community is better off with you. I kow-tow to your perserverance, knowledge and sheer good humour. You are what makes the AWAD forum great.

However, if numbers amongst you insist on making this a discussion group for the ultra-supreme-high brows then you are killing off those who legitimately want to get on and learn what you do. Not all of us have the privilege of spending our days with words. God bless those who can. I wish I could.

As for me - it's a classic case of once bitten, twice shy I haven't been the subject of a mauling this time but it's only a matter of time before someone decides to take me down-to-size again.

I'm off and this time I won't be back. Will you mourn for me too, wow? I wonder then again I think not. A 'tut, tut', a roll of the eyes and a 'plenty more where he came from' is all I'll get, I'll wager. You'll always have your Pooh-bahs to keep you company.

What is a Pooh-bah anyway? It's a measurement of the number of posts you've submitted - not a measure of your grandness or supposed intellect. A large number of those posts seem to consist of only one word. Had I consorted to that cheap trick I'd be up there after a week of the forum going live. Live in your ivory towers. I'm going back to a real world.

#39874 08/31/01 07:39 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Will you mourn for me too, wow? I wonder then again I think not. A 'tut, tut', a roll of the eyes and a 'plenty more where he came from' is all I'll get, I'll wager. You'll always have your Pooh-bahs to keep you company.
What is a Pooh-bah anyway? It's a measurement of the number of posts you've submitted - not a measure of your grandness or supposed intellect.

If this is the impression I have given I apologize to you all.
I am well aware my intellect is not anywhere near the heights of most others on the board. My number of posts is because I am retired and have the time to read and post, nothing else.
My reference that the Pooh-Bahs will just have to bear up and be anchors for this Great Experiment by Anu (bless him) and try to steer a steady course as folks come aBoard and then debark was obvoiusly badly worded ... it was meant as tongue-in-cheek and pin-in-stuffed-shirt directed at myself

My sincere regret for any offenses given or taken.
wow

#39875 08/31/01 11:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A diversity, such as the world of different understandings here, that is being assimilated within the confines of one subject (words) has to be misunderstood by "x" number of people. I believe, as CapK stated, I dont see evidence of ugliness... but a lot of things that can be understood as "ugly", and it is an individuals responsibility to make sure they are understood if that is evidenced. Of course this is easier said than done... but if the intent was to be misunderstood or to not care, we would all probably go somewhere else.

The last 2 individual "complaints", although citing a host of different factors, seemed to be referring to an "ugliness" that, taken on surface, was just that..."on surface". It must have (from what I can tell) been a "history lesson" for them since I see nothing of the sort as of late.

As long as things are progressing and this board keeps proving to me that change is inevitable (except keeping advertisements out of the picture)... and I know someday I'll have a chance to clarify who is the better pool player... I'm staying!

#39876 09/01/01 12:10 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
The last 2 individual "complaints" seemed to be referring to an "ugliness" that, taken on surface, was just that..."on surface". It must have been a "history lesson" for them since I see nothing of the sort as of late.
---------------------------------------
Unfortunately, musick, the issue is not merely historical: it remains current. As an example I verbatim (but without attribution) a PM I received five days ago:

I truly believe you need to take as much time as you do posting to read through the old posts, out of respect for those that enjoy this place as a discussion board, not a chatb room (that would indeed include myself).

I darn near walked away from this board upon receiving that PM -- and in my judgment, most relatively-new users would have walked.

But here is the challenge: the easy courses are either to deny this, or to bemoan it -- but neither does the least bit of good. What are we going to do about it?

#39877 09/01/01 01:37 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith