About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#39888 09/01/01 04:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't understand your misunderstanding of my intent. which has nothing to do with competition, just understanding. It was literally out of context because it was originally a private message. What other part of out of context have I not made clear?

I said ...send it to anyone you like... not "post it in public", and I fail to see where I was speaking for anyone except myself and my own respect for the above mentioned.

Since I have no words nor desire to describe this misrepresentation further, I shall bow out.

Forgive me, all.

EDIT - to avoid any further misunderstanding... I by no means insinuated that you, Kieva, have shown any disrespect... on the contrary.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Are you sure you want all the rest of your PM posted in public?

take it from an "experienced person" (who the heck came up with that stale phrase??); this way lies folly and madness.

#39890 09/01/01 07:31 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Where be these enemies? Keiva! Musick! See what a scourge is laid upon your hate that Heaven finds means to kill your joys with love.

Well, not really enemies or hate, I know, and with apologies to Willie S, can I suggest that you both have had ample innings and now it's ENOUGH!

Musick, you being, I believe senior in terms of time here, I address you first. When I read the short quote of your remarks to Keiva, I thought it really offensive. I'm now convinced that it was not originally intended to be so and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in his assertion that he didn't go about to make something offensive which was not. I certainly don't want to see you also taking a hike. I have great respect for your knowledge and ability to impart information, particularly in your special field. Indeed, you are one of those whom I most admire and enjoy on the board (along with a number of others, of course). We need you.

Ken, you are a really important new acquisition to us and I want to see you around a long time contributing to our common fund of knowledge and enjoyment. I have enjoyed your posts and hope to enjoy more.

Now can both you guys do a little cyber version of shaking hands and relieve us of having to worry about our little community being wracked asunder? Please?!

#39891 09/01/01 08:56 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Bob, your post reminded me of a couple of things--one is JazzO's post to the effect that what are we about here, if not communication? It seems to me that the two of them are
trying to make themselves understood to each other, and probably doing a little bit of that in public, to try to bring an end in public to something that had been brought up in public. I know from personal experience that both of these people are as sweet as they can be, so I have a feeling that the whole thing was due to a misunderstanding which, as has been brought up before, is very very easy to do in this toneless setting.

In fact, one of the things I just did for the possible benefit of newcomers is to add a laugh or wink icon (good grief, anybody got any memory pills??). I believe I had become so complacent as to think that anybody reading some of the things I wrote would know they were meant to be humorous, when in fact they may have actually seemed like I was being insensitive or insulting.

The second thing your post reminded me of was the line that
"any man's death diminishes me". Well, when someone leaves the board, it is a kind of "death", as far as the remaining people are concerned, and I think that statement holds true here. But I have the firm belief that pretty much all of us are not the type to "take their toys and go home", and that includes these two nice guys. I love you both, and you too, Bob.

#39892 09/01/01 08:56 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Hey, musick! Cubs just now won again! When they're in town next, I'll buy the first beers; you the second ... etc. etc. 'til we lose count! -- keiva
(PS: I'm not a big guy, so that won't take long.)

#39893 09/01/01 09:01 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#39894 09/01/01 09:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There isn't a single person here on this board, that i would like to stop posting. there are many who i don't agree with, or who bore me slightly at times, but i suspect the number is less than people i annoy and bore!

i don't want to lose anyone. i have learned so much here, i am blown away with level of knowledge. even in a huge city like NY-- it hard to get an assembly, with so much in common, and so many people willing to share. Some of our best thread have come from simple questions.

like jackie, i was upset at some post-- we hit a bump in the road.. but i am pleased that so many are willing to keep this going, and going well.. Please, no more defections.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Sweet speaking oft a currish heart reclaims."

--Sir Philip Sidney (1554-1586)

#39896 09/02/01 03:16 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I haven’t had much time to spend on the board, lately, and I’ve spent part of this evening catching up with this thread. The September posts reflect a greater camaraderie than some of the earlier ones may have. Informal discourse may be like drama arriving as it often does at prescribed endings. In fact, this may be one of the chief pleasures of certain kinds of conversation. And I take the presence of such forms here as evidence supporting the notion that what we do here is, after all, to engage in an informal discourse.

What has always struck me in Anu’s almost complete absence from the board is his apparent recognition that informal discourse is self-regulating. As far as I am concerned, the “parliamentarian” concerns that have sometimes been raised in this forum are neither more nor less than other parts of this inherent regulatory mechanism. But if the expression of these concerns hasn’t always been out and out belligerent, it also has not always risen to the level of kindness.

It is a perhaps unfortunate quality of language that in use it will generally refer to some *thing. While proselytizing and bar room brawling may not be welcome here, to rule out content would seem futile. If we cannot trust one another to both write and *read posts discerningly, there can be little hope that the kind of dialogue many of the posters to this thread have described enjoying here could ever be realized.

And, to some degree, it has been realized.

For myself, part of the reason I haven’t been around much lately is simply that I’m very busy. But it would be untrue to exaggerate the significance of that. As have others, I have found the board can be hostile. While the discussions here can be informative and entertaining, they can also be careless. And the existence of cliques sometimes seems to harden carelessness into a kind of sport.

I have come to respect many of you enormously, and once eagerly looked forward to what you had to say. I think I can even say I have found friendship here. But it is always hesitatingly that I come, now. More than that—I come with a vague sense of agony.

I imagine the title (newbie/pooh bah…) business was originally a ruse to get people to post frequently and get the board off the ground. If that is the case—or even if it isn’t—I would suggest titles be abandoned altogether (even at the software level). A tally might be given beside a posters name, and that’s all.

IP

#39897 09/02/01 06:24 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
To all who wrote me such kind Emails and PMs. My heart runneth over.
Thank you!

(Where is that dratted teary-eyed-smile emoticon when you need it?)

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,352
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 494 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,550
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith