Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#38588 08/18/01 12:44 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
"gets my vote for a TEd-dy award!"

Thanks you, dear lady, but I must decline, for mine wasn't original. Besides, the clear leader at this point is your own "only Hugh can prevent florist friars."

Edit, as to "friars" True story: When a third-grade class was reading Robin Hood, a boy asked, "How can they boil Tuck in oil?" The teacher asked him, "What's wrong with that?" and the boy replied, "You can't boil Tuck. He's not a boiler; he's a Friar."
The next day the boy saw his teacher, in the hall, repeating his joke to her co-workers. "This is power!, he thought, and decided then and there to be a comedian when he grew up.
He's now grown up, and tells this story on himself. His name is Jay Leno.

#38589 08/18/01 04:31 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Cool, Sweetie--thanks for sharing that. Gee, reading your great posts is becoming a hapbit with me. swma

#38590 08/22/01 02:01 PM
R
addict
addict
R
And since we mention carrion - here's a dreadful couple of puns about carrilon

After Quasimodo's death, the bishop of the Cathedral of Notre Dame sent word through the streets of Paris that a new bell ringer was needed. The bishop decided that he would conduct the interviews personally and went up into the belfry to begin the screening process. After observing several applicants demonstrate their skills, he had decided to call it a day when an armless man approached him and announced that he was there to apply for the bell ringer's job.

The bishop was incredulous."You have no arms!"

"No matter." said the man, "Observe!" And he began striking the bells with his face, producing a beautiful melody on the carillon.

The bishop listened in astonishment, convinced he had finally found a suitable replacement for Quasimodo. Suddenly, rushing forward to strike a bell, the armless man tripped and plunged headlong out of the belfry window to his death in the street below.

The stunned bishop rushed down the Cathedral steps and outside. When he reached the street, a crowd had gathered around the fallen figure, drawn by the beautiful music they had heard only moments before. As they silently parted to let the bishop through, one of them asked; "Bishop, who was this man?"

"I don't know his name," the bishop sadly replied, "but his face rings a bell."

The following day, despite the sadness that weighed heavily on his heart due to the unfortunate death of the armless campanologist, the bishop continued his interviews for the bell ringer of Notre Dame.
The first man to approach him said, "Your Excellency, I am the brother of the poor armless wretch that fell to his death from this very belfry yesterday. I pray that you honour his life by allowing me to replace him in this duty."

The bishop agreed to give the man an audition, and, as the armless man's brother stooped to pick up a mallet to strike the first bell, he groaned, clutched at his chest and died on the spot!

Two monks, hearing the bishop's cries of grief at this second tragedy, rushed up the stairs to the bishop's side.

"What has happened? Who is this man?" the first monk asked breathlessly. I don't know his name," sighed the distraught bishop, "But he's a dead ringer for his brother."

#38591 08/23/01 02:37 AM
F
F
A pun like that must not go unanswered.

One day a man walked into a restaurant and ordered the Eggs Benedict. He was surprised, however, to see it brought to him not on a plate, but on a hubcap. When he quesioned the waiter, the waiter began to sing, "Oh, there's no plate like chrome for the hollondaise!"

#38592 08/23/01 02:40 AM
F
F
Hey, everybody, lookit me! I'm a member!!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 729 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith