About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#38125 08/17/01 07:11 PM
C
C
Water isn't all that dense. As I posted earlier, the weight of water is 8.34 #/gallon. A lightweight oil would be aroun 9-10 #/gal. Really dense (other than my boss) would be Mercury - I believe it approaches 30.

Just a little science on a Friday afternoon.

#38126 08/17/01 08:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Water isn't all that dense. As I posted earlier, the weight of water is 8.34 #/gallon.

I dunno; 8.34 octothorps per gallon seems pretty dense.
(a very little humor for a Friday afternoon)

#38127 08/18/01 01:11 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In the good old days :
when you went to an ice cream parlor to buy a pint of ice cream you actually got a pint ... you knew because the server filled the container then put it on a scale to be sure it weighed a pound.
Have *you weighed a so-called pint of ice cream or yogurt from your local hand-packed shop lately? Sur-priiiise!

#38128 08/18/01 05:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there are in US, and in EU, and else where, i suspect, standard for what is a Pint--by volume of icecream.
first off, it shouldn't weight a pound, since heavy cream is lighter than water.. and if its good ice cream, it should be about 50% heavy cream. secondly, good ice cream is airy- even home made ice cream is made in a "churn" which beats air into the cream mixture as it chills and finally freezes it. (otherwise it is quintesently frozen..see another thread..)

I am sure the FDA, or some other Government agency has the standards somewhere-- Consumer reports might have them too, as background for a report on icecream.. but as i recall, 1 gallon of ice cream is supposed to weight something like 53 oz.. not 64 oz. and melted be equeal to 58oz.. by volume..(since as it melts, the air tends to get lost..

#38129 08/18/01 08:26 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Water isn't all that dense. As I posted earlier, the weight of water is 8.34 #/gallon. A lightweight oil
would be aroun 9-10 #/gal

Dear Chemeng1992: Your figures indicate that the specific gravity of oil is greater than that of water. How come oil floats on water?

#38130 08/19/01 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lightweight oil
would be aroun 9-10 #/gal

olive oil is about .92 g/cm3 (or 7.68 lb/gallon), which indeed appears to be slightly less dense than water. 'course, the difference in molecular structure (disparate polarities) also keeps oil and water from playing well together =)

hi, tom ~ Yes, dear, i'm paying the bills this afternoon... just taking a wee break =)

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I just came across this thread, it took nearly an hour to read in threaded mode (flat mode went all weird after the first page), so a) apologies to any contributors that I have missed b) sympathy to anyone new to the site with less than 1,000,000 hours of spare time on your hands, you will never be able to read it all. I’m saving some of it for my retirement (in twenty years time, unless I win the lottery first).

A few points that don’t appear to have been fully answered:

1. Xara – did you get your books? If not, I’d be happy to help.

2. First editions – I wouldn’t get too excited about the “Goblet of Fire” first edition. Almost everyone I know has one (many of them are signed as Jo R is a local) – see the numbers mentioned on the Bloomsbury (UK publishers) website:
How many UK first edition copies were printed of the Harry Potter books?
First hardback print runs: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 500, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: 10,150, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: 10,000, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: 1 million.
http://www.bloomsburymagazine.com/harrypotter/muggles/faq/faq.asp

3. Differences

Here are a couple of points from a “chat” with the US publisher:

Lake Jackson, Texas: How come the UK versions of the Harry Potter books are shorter?

Arthur Levine: If you look at the way the books are typeset, you can see that the UK versions put less space between the lines. They have also not chosen to include chapter opening decorations (like the ones another reader praised by Mary Grandpre). We like our design, and think it's beautiful and a pleasure to read.

Carlisle PA: In volume 3 page 1 ,why was the name of the author of History of Magic changed from Adalbert Waffling to Bathilda Bagshot in going from the British to American Editions ?

Arthur Levine: Because we must have caught a typographical error that (apparently) the British editors missed. In SORCERER'S STONE (p.66) The author of A HISTORY OF MAGIC is identified as Bathilda Bagshot
http://www.usatoday.com/community/chat/0628levine.htm

3a. Miles – Harry would say miles because we measure distances in miles and our road signs give speed limits in miles per hour. The fact that we buy our petrol in litres and we can’t work out miles to the gallon without hard sums or that we can buy two metres of 48” wide fabric does causes occasional consternation but be muddle along (or is that muggle along).

3b. English muffins – Helen of Troy, is completely right. Late one night in another time Anna S and I compared US and UK editions and worked that out for ourselves. AnnaS had heard me mention that I had never seen an English muffin before my trip to the US in the eighties and there it was in print. Helen is right the two are not interchangeable and I think was the result of over-enthusiastic translation by the US editors. At the time of publishing the first edition they were really looking at a book published by an Edinburgh-based single parent, hoping for a few sales to allow her the time of work to write the second in the series. She now says that she would never have let them change the title if the power relationship had been a little less one-sided.

3c. Soccer – I suspect that our edition says football, you’ll have to give me a reference to check it, we do use soccer as a term, especially in circles where rugby is considered to be more important that footie (I wonder if the down under edition mentions footie – I’d love to see an Aussie/Kiwi translation). Part of the international acclaim that books have received must be down to the fact that most terms, like Quiddich are international.

I am in the process of collecting the US editions, so send me a private mail if you need any help with getting the UK editions.

Jo

X
xara Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Jo,

Yes, maverick sent me the books, thanks. I mentioned it in a different thread, I think.

I've read the third and am working on the fourth book in the UK edition. I don't have US copies of those so I haven't compared them. I've not had time yet to reread the first two. I have a harder time justifying not doing homework for a book I've read once than for one I haven't.

I have not noticed a single occurrence of metric units in the UK version, much to my surprise. Shows you how little I actually know about some things.

Football is used where an American would say soccer. Sherbet Lemon has been Americanized to Lemon Drop in book 1. It's terribly interesting to look at the two editions of the book together and see what the editors thought we wouldn't get. In most cases, the original is much richer than the edited. There have only been a few phrases that I was only able to guess the meaning from context from books 3 and 4. I'm really looking forward to sitting down and reading the two ed's side by side for comparison. Aah, if I only had more time...

Vast numbers of words are spelled differently. I had no idea that there was that much difference. I realise now how extensively other books by British authors have been edited as well. It makes me feel the need to apologize for the hubristic attitude we (US'ns) have, sometimes without even realising it.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Sounds like hard work.

I think the problem with "translation" is that books lose something each time they are translated, whether from USEng to BritEng or vice versa. Makes me wonder how we all manage to read those web pages produced in other versions of English without having to Babel Fish them.

[non wordie diversion]PS We got a sneak pre-view last night of scenes from the second film. They have been filming the Hogwarts Express going over the Glenfinnan Viaduct in the West of Scotland with hoards of local school-children dressed in Hogwarts uniform. http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/glenfinnan.html and for people who like looking at bridges http://www.sir-robert-mcalpine.com/projects/51.html Apart from Kings Cross (the London Station for the trains to the East Coast and Scotland), the books never mention any of the real places that the Hogwarts Express goes to, so the railway companies are clearly all competing for it to travel down the more aesthetic parts of their line to ensure a steady stream of Harry Potter obsessed visitors in the future.

#38134 09/04/01 10:07 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I drop this in just to keep the party going ...
The book "Six Days" by Brendan DuBois was published in UK by Little Brown at Bittehhouse, Lancaster Place, London, WC2E 7EN.
Brendan is an American and lives in a town near me. A local bookstore got cases of the books to sell locally where Brendan has a huge following. That's how I got my copy. It's a thriller and a walloping good read. I am sure the book is an "English" edition because inside front cover is an advert wherein the publishers say "If you don't enjoy "6 Days" we will refund your money." (then address as given above.)
For you UK folks the offer is good until October 31,2001. The price on front is - in pounds-9.99.

So, we have an American writer with a book first published in GB and as far as I could see there were no changes in any references.
The book is set in NH and Vermont. While on a camping trip two people enter a shelter in the NH mountains during the storm where the man, a former special forces agent, recognizes the place is something very sinister. Yum!

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 917 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith