Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear RC: your ballad of Eskimo Nell begins a bit like the Ancient Mariner, but the allusions are quite different. Thoxe who wish to may check it out at:http://www.allegedlyfunny.com/eskimo.html Not parlor talk.As a matter of fact it is so vile I probably should have erased the URL. You have been warned.

#37543 08/18/01 07:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was reading the string theory link, and decided I'd better try to find a good def. of quantum mechanics, so I looked in the Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology, available on-line thru RefDesk.
quantum mechanics Physics. a modern field in physics that is based on the premise that energy and momentum are quantized and that, at the atomic and subatomic levels, the effects of quantization are significant; this theory apparently supersedes classical theory.

The use of the word momentum aroused my curiosity, and I wondered what the difference between that and motion was.
Culling through no less than 125 entries for different types of motion and 25 for momentum, I got from the same dictionary:
motion Science. 1. the act of moving; the passage of a body from one place to another.the act of moving; the passage of a body from one place to another. 2. a bodily movement.a bodily movement. 3. the ability to move.the ability to move. Mechanics. a change in the position of a physical system over time.

momentum plural, momenta. Science. the general effect of an ongoing motion or process. Mechanics. a vector quantity that is conserved in collisions between particles and in closed systems; in classical mechanics it is equal to the mass times the velocity of a body, or the vector sum of this product over all the components of a system.

So--does time have motion or momentum? Are there other def.'s that are better suited for Time? Time certainly moves (so say I), yet has no body. If it has momentum, where is the effect shown? On Time, or on...us and our world? Oh, I think this one is beyond me... [hand feebly waving above the morass e]

#37544 08/19/01 07:20 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> If it has momentum, where is the effect shown?

The effect shown is relative to your perspective :-)
Stumbling further into the realm of abstract thought, I'll offer this up for scrutiny:

The universe we mold around this, one of a multi-dimensional speckles of reality resonates,
or you might say it creates, an interference pattern within the fabric of space.
If we were to look closely at an individual human being,
we would find that the body is made up of a mass resonalting particles and is in itself a universe.
All information exists here and now within are own consciousness.
There are places we can go within our consciousness that unite our being with the cosmos.
We need to align our minds with the cosmic mind, if we are going to find any of the purposes of our existence,
or to find answers to some of the unexplained problems,
especially now, as we are heading towards one of the most important increments in the history of our time here.

(a guy called gerald)

#37545 08/19/01 10:05 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
What about the quantum foam theory? This postulation suggests that time can be discontinuous in very small packets (10 to the minus 43rd of a second - Plank time) and that time turns back on itself (thus stopping). At this point there supposedly is enough energy from quantum fluctuations to break down space and time into "foaminess" that could possibly be navigated from one bubble to the next.

#37546 08/20/01 01:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Google turned up this, a portion of a lecture from the physics dep't. at UT (the U. of Tennessee):
The Planck Scale
But we have already seen that if the distance scales become short enough (of atomic dimensions or smaller), the theory of quantum mechanics must be used. Therefore, as we extrapolate back in time to the beginning of the Universe, eventually one would reach a state of sufficient temperature and density that a fully quantum mechanical theory of gravitation would be required. This is called the Planck era, and the corresponding scales of distance, energy, and time are called the Planck scale.
The Planck Scale
Quantity Value
Planck Mass 1.2 x 1019 GeV/c2
Planck Length 1.6 x 10-33 cm
Planck Time 5.4 x 10-44 s
Planck Temperature 1.4 x 1032 K

The Planck scale corresponds to incredibly small distances (or equivalently, incredibly large energies).

I am not capable of interpreting the numbers. I just thought you all might like a def. of the Planck scale.

Quantum foam, Mary? Whoa, I never heard that one--thanks!
Sounds weird, but I am in no position to argue against it.

#37547 08/20/01 04:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Depends on how high the pirate ship is.

TEd
tsuwm #197975 03/04/11 04:44 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
"Time does not flow. Other times are just special cases of other universes." - David Deutsch, The Fabric of Reality

tsuwm #197976 03/04/11 04:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Really old thread: ten years.
The concept of alternate universes is dealt with in
the TV show "Fringe", not too well, but it is the
subject matter, and quite a concept.

----please, draw me a sheep----
tsuwm #197977 03/04/11 04:51 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
five years on from this thread: the flow of time

tsuwm #197980 03/04/11 09:17 AM
addict
addict
Haha alternative universes are a pet interest of mine (along with numerous other SF related things) watched a great program a few years back about all the different theories of them; in an hours program they covered the "Big Five" in general detail...always brings to mind the Kerr solution and the possibility that that could lead to visiting an alternate universe...

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith