About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
While checking spelling I came across something I either never noticed before or have long forgotten. The phrase double entendre is in the English dictionary but not the word entendre alone. Is it incorrect then to use entendre in English without the qualifier double? I hereby, and humbly, submit this for the "tsuwm treatment"!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I think it is a sly insult to the French, to suggest that only they are guilty of duplicitous hidden meanings.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good one, Dr. Bill, you foxy one, you!

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Then there is the all-too-common null entendre.

BTW, there is a French word for a pun across two languages, but damned if I can remember it...anyone?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I remember reading somewhere that the French don't actually use the expression double entendre themselves. Whether because they take it for granted or because they have never indulged in the practice and so never needed a name for it, I couldn't say.

Bingley

Bingley
R
addict
addict
R
W'ON, a good question. In "double entendre" the whole phrase, that is both words, is French and is usually, in my experience, pronounced as such - (dooblah not dubble). I can't see any real denigration in the phrase, so I can't see why we English would try to poke fun at the French with it - if we could we would, I assure you! But you are right, the word "entendre" is not used alone in English. Borrowing of phrases and words from other languages seems to follow no logic.
The phrase "single entendre" is used sometimes to denote a more obvious sexual connotation.

Rod

#37044 07/31/01 10:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this isn't in response to your query, WO'N, but i thought it'd be a nice segue to a question that i'd been pondering but never bothered to post on.

double entendres are an endless source of fascination for me (and aren't there a lot of names for them? amphibolous, dilogical, etc? hi, c!), so you can imagine my delight when i stumbled across the term "illocutionary" a while back, defined as "pertaining to or describing an utterance that, reflecting the speaker's emotions, conveys more or something other than its literal meaning, such as a question implying dissatisfaction".

is there another, more common, term for this common verbal phenomenon? 'sarc(h)asm' doesn't seem to describe it adequately, since it's not really as specific.

oh, and what on EARTH have you all been smoking lately? i return from a week or so away and find some of the strangest threads i've ever seen. sheesssh.

#37045 07/31/01 11:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Double entendre is like resume . Non-existent in "that" hi F language. Well, resume exists but it means something else: synopsis.

And caradea, don't go away again without letting us know. We smoked a lotta weird stuff in your absence.

#37046 08/01/01 06:42 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Illocutionary isn't really the same as double entendre.

The illocutionary force of an utterance is shown when for example we all understand that a question like "Have you got a pen?" is actually a request to borrow a pen rather than a simple question about whether you happen to be in possession of one.

Bingley

Bingley
#37047 08/01/01 07:03 AM
R
addict
addict
R
resume exists (in French) but it means something else: synopsis

AnnaS. Doesn't résumé mean synopsis in US? It does in UK.

And "double entendre" had the same meaning in French when it was borrowed into English, but is now obselete.

Rod

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 802 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith