Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
lefties have a harder time of it, since their stronger hand is engaged hold the baby, and not free for other tasks.

Thus giving right-handedness an evolutionary advantage?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
...or, by the number of babies dropped from the weaker hand, giving an advantage to...?

C
stranger
stranger
C
"Most women find that babies are quieter when cradled in the left arm, and yes the thought is it's easier for the infant to hear the mothers hear beat. i suspect lefties have a harder time of it, since there stronger hand is engaged hold the baby, and not free for other tasks. "

I've never understood why the dominant hand would be stronger. I'm right handed, and because of that my left arm is stronger. I carry things in my left arm (including babies) to keep my right hand free to "do stuff." As for heartbeats, my kids seemed to prefer smack in the middle of my chest.

(btw, how do you get the quote you're replying to to show up in a different color?)

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I vote with Helen O'T -- sounds sensible to me.

And just now picked up an (unverfied) tidbit reinforcing her suggestion that handedness might relate to traditional child-rearing roles. I'm told that of all ethnic groups, lefthandedness is most common among Ashkenazi jewish men, but that Ashkenazi jewish women are no-more-often lefthanded than the general population.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i sent you a private note-- but you should also check the FAQ and the Information category for the thread for new comer's and beginners.. it has all the information you'll ever need or want about searching awad thread, finding on line dictionaries, and lots more..

we keep bumping it back to page 1-- and i will again right now if its not there already.

B
veteran
veteran
B
>lefthandedness is most common among Ashkenazi jewish men

Very interesting. Could this be because A.j. men would historically write Yiddish and/or Hebrew, both of which are written right to left and therefore more conveniently with the left hand?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Which would also apply to most Muslim cultures since Arabic is also written right to left, but they have a very strong taboo against using the left hand in public, adding to the horrors of amputation of the hand for stealing.

Bingley

Bingley
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
>lefthandedness is most common among Ashkenazi jewish men

Very interesting. Could this be because A.j. men would historically write Yiddish and/or Hebrew, both
of which are written right to left and therefore more conveniently with the left hand?

Dear Bobyoungbalt: Do you then believe Lysenko was right?

#36010 08/29/01 04:45 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Finley Peter Dunne iscredited with coining the expression "southpaw" when writing about left handed pitchers, because a left-hander's throwing arm was on his south side as he pitched in the White Stockings' stadium.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Didn't we hear from tsuwm (was it?) that the expression was first used for a left handed boxer? Didn't make sense to me then nor does it now, but there it is. But thanks for the name to add to the search, Dr. Bill.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith