About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#35908 07/27/01 03:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, 'scouse me for comin' in a mite late, but I didn't know what scouse was, either. Thanks, everybody. Cute joke, Aunt mav--I did get Mancunian. (I think.)
Um--revealing another quirk of my strange mind, when I read the word lobscouse, I was for some reason put in mind of the word gobsmacked...
tsuwm, when you asked whether the OED was "at sea", were you thinking that lobscouse is lobster stew?

#35909 07/27/01 03:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
at sea - A sailor's dish consisting of meat stewed with vegetables and ship's biscuit, or the like.

#35910 07/27/01 03:33 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Man·cu·ni·an (măn-kyū'nē-ən, -kyūn'yən)
adj.
Of or relating to Manchester, England.

n.
A native or inhabitant of Manchester, England.

[From Latin Mancunium, Manchester, of Celtic origin.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was interested in checking this to find another (comparatively rare) example of a Celtic word subsumed into Latin and thence into English, so thanks for getting me to look, Jackie!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
This from my Alabama-born grandmother via my somewhat-cosmopolitan mom:

"Honey, I don't care if it harelips the Pope!"

N
stranger
stranger
N
In my region... I am from central/north jersey... I use the word mad to mean something quite different... I use it to mean very or a lot....

ex.. This food is mad good. OR That's mad different.

It is a regionalism that doesn't seem very distinct... some people use it, others don't... most people that use it outside of my region are black, but I am white... and I am nothing near the type denoted "hood" which is basically a person who dress and style is influence by the rap scene. I like punk and hardcore music... Outside of my area people think that I am strange or a "wannabe" but it is perfectly normal where I am from.

Later

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just heard from a friend who lives in Maine and am reminded of the use of "wicked"
Examples :
This pie is wicked good."
"His new lobstah boat is wicked fast"
"She is one wicked awesome woman."
"This thread is wicked interestin'."

F
addict
addict
F
This pie is wicked good.

For may father, who grew up in suburban Boston, if the pie was extra special, he would have said "this pie is wicked pissah!" A "wicked pissah" being something really great. I'm guessing "pissah" started out as the Bostonian pronunciation of "pisser", but he says it was spelled with the "ah".

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'm guessing "pissah" started out as the Bostonian pronunciation of "pisser", but he says it was spelled with the "ah".
....wicked good guess, Flatlander.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This isn't so much a local verbal expression, but a physical one. If you are a troll, in other words, you live under the bridge(Lower Michigan), you use your hand as a map of Michigan to point to where you live. I ,personally, was born at the base of the pinky-ring fingers(Traverse City)but now live straight downhill from there, just above the wrist(Kalamazoo).

consuelo

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
A nice collection of regionalisms was published in the late 1980's, titled "Like We Say Back Back Home". My copy seems to have "migrated", but one I remember was, "She's as loose as a bucket of soot."

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,368
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 715 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith