Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35369 07/12/01 06:18 AM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Greetings, all! This is my first post, so please be gentle. I am trying to find the origin of the phrase, "to make an honest man [or woman] out of [someone]." I believe the phrase is tied to the French expression "l'honnette homme" (pardon spelling errors) but I cannot verify. Any hints?

#35370 07/12/01 09:44 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Well come to the board, coopycake - pleased to have you with us. And to start with such an interesting question.

These might be of interest

http://www.antiquesonline.com/pages/102064.html
print of the ruination of a Man – price 4150 !!

http://
http://biblioteca.euroweb.ro/zarif/pentru/laroch.htm

But just how they tie in with my understanding of the phrase, I am not clear! To me, "To make an honest woman" of someone means to regularise a close relationship by marrying the wench! (usuallly because of imminent parturition) A very patronising phrase, much in favour in late Victorian, and Edwardian times, when it was used in all seriousness, becoming more ironic in its use as the C20 progressed. In its ironic sense, I have also heard, "to make an honest man of him," used to a woman when she has announced that she is about to marry.

#35371 07/12/01 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#35372 07/12/01 03:37 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Must be, since it ends in .ro and it reads like Sardinian. If you go up to the home page you'll find it is.

#35373 07/12/01 03:40 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I have also heard, "to make an honest man of him," used to a woman when she has announced that she is about to marry.

Ah, yes. Marrying the man will legally commit him to provide for the offspring. Unlike his dishonest abandonment (knowing or unknowing) of his earlier wild oats. Thus, he's forced to be honest to his obligations.

#35374 07/12/01 03:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ha! If you read the history of the "free love" movement (or just look around at society) you'll realize, some (many? most?) men are decent human beings, and will provide for their children, whether or not they are married to the child's mother. Other men (some? many? most?) are s***s, and will not provide, no matter what the law says-- they hid assests, they lie, they move, the send rubber checks.. Some men provide child support to any child their partner bears (even if it is obviously not theirs) others, run away from their responsibility, even when it is proven to be theirs..

(pick some/many/most from choice above based on your own feeling experience.) Marriage does not make a man (or woman!) honest!

#35375 07/12/01 04:19 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
In French, there is the phrase "l'honette homme" which loosely translates to "the honest man." In this phrase, an "honest man" is one who is refined, debonaire, classy, well-read, intelligent, etc. There is great value placed upon intellectuals and these "honest men"

In English, "to make an honest man of someone" seems to mean that a woman is going to wed a "savage" man. I was curious if the two ideas were related.

"honesty," in this sense, isn't so much about truthfulness as it is behaving as a gentleman and being socially presentable.

I was curious as to whether or not the English idiom and the French phrase are at all related.

#35376 07/13/01 02:43 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
The bride of Menelaus (talk about honest women) writes:
Marriage does not make a man (or woman!) honest.
Father Steve (wish he would make a reappearance) could tell you that marriage is the only one of the sacraments in which the participants are themselves the celebrants. They, not the priest or other minister or person, bring upon themselves whatever grace or gift the sacrament confers. Hence it follows that they receive from it what they themselves bring to it, and if you bring little, you get little. So, while I don't believe that Helen was implying that marriage doesn't do much for anyone, there are a lot of people who think exactly that, but they're wrong. It isn't marriage per se that is lacking, it's the spouses who are lacking.

#35377 07/14/01 03:25 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
As a Justice of the Peace and Quorum for my state I have officiated at quite a few marriages. My job, so to speak, is just as the witness for the State. The rules are quite complicated and I won't go into the myriad details, but I do not "marry" the couple. They marry each other.
The words I am required to say simply give the State's sanction. The two people enter into the contract.
It is my general feeling that if people knew more about contract law they wouldn't enter into the contract of marriage without very serious thought.
How about it Sparteye ... and all you Brothers and Sisters at the Bar?
If anyone interested, I can give you the shortest marriage form I know that is "legal" that is : recognized by the State.

#35378 07/14/01 07:20 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
If anyone interested, I can give you the shortest marriage form I know that is "legal" that is : recognized by the State.

Would that be "Huh?" and "Uh-huh" ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith