About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Having been travelling across the US (in both directions), Sandra and I have noticed one very interesting linguistic trait. It's s-o-o-o-o important, I thought I'd better get your take(s) on it.

When you say "thank you" in restaurants or shops in the west, the instant response from service industry people is "You're welcome". As we move further east, this is gradually being replaced by "Mmmm - mmmm". Yesterday in Arkansas, it was about 50/50.

Any thoughts? Is everyone in the east totally syllabically challenged?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
F
addict
addict
F
I have heard "Mmm-Hmm" as an alternative to "you're welcome," but the traditional "you're welcome" is usually the rule here in Vermont, anyway. A friend visiting from NYC last weekend was taken aback when the drive-thru attendant at a fast-food place said "you're welcome" as we pulled away. He nearly fainted when I told him that the people who work at the Department of Motor Vehicles are courteous and helpful.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually, NY's DMV had gotten to be very nice-- fast, effecient service.. (no thank you's yet-- but in and out in under 30 minutes-- and i don't need a thank you.. )It used to take days to get new plates or a driver licence. Really, more than once, i had to make 2 trips to get something done--combine that with travel time, and a 1 to 2 hour wait on line.. it was days.

But the Parking Violations is still g** awful! and should you ever get your car towed-- well, when you die, you will go straight on to heaven-- since you will have already serverd time in HELL!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually, NY's DMV had gotten to be very nice-- fast, effecient service.. (no thank you's yet-- but in and out in under 30 minutes-- and i don't need a thank you.. )It used to take days to get new plates or a driver licence. Really, more than once, i had to make 2 trips to get something done--combine that with travel time, and a 1 to 2 hour wait on line.. it was days.

But the Parking Violations is still g** awful! and should you ever get your car towed-- well, when you die, you will go straight on to heaven-- since you will have already served time in HELL!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In N.H. you hear "you're welcome" or sometimes just "welcome."
In Maine I have heard the ubiquitous "Ay-yuh" as a recognition of your thanks.
Alert Those not born to the use and the many inflections for the varied meanings of Ay-yuh should not attempt to use it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Around here, if someone was thanking you perfunctorily, you'd always say 'you're welcome', but if the person was expressing sincere gratitude (eg: Thanks for picking me up; i really appreciate it) the more common response would be "No worries" (or "No problem").

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Any thoughts? Is everyone in the east totally syllabically challenged?"

Dear CK Having spent most of my life in small town New England, my impression is that the behaviour to which you refer is a fairly typical tendency to laconicism.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
typical tendency to laconicism

Ay-yu'.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
wwh >>typical tendency to laconicism

faldage >> Ay-yu'

Just hadda' try, dincha ...

if the person was expressing sincere gratitude (eg: Thanks for picking me up; i really appreciate it) the more common response would be "No worries" or "No problem".
Re sincere gratitude : In response : "No problem" ... or "Not a bit of it" ... or "Don't be silly" ... or "My pleasure" ... or "Think nothing of it."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
typical tendency to laconicism

Ay-yu'

Just hadda' try, dincha ...

Ay-eh'

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,338
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bridget), 730 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith