Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34516 07/03/01 02:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
While in Minisoda this past week, my niece was heard to say "Jeez o' peas!". A Minnesotan said "You must be from Michigan. Here we say "Holy Buckets!" She is only 8, were they pulling her leg?

consuelo

#34517 07/03/01 08:27 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Since no reply from Michigoose, I will say that "Jeez o peas" might sound to an oldtimer like "taking the name of the Saviour in vain" and call for either a rebuke or an offer of a less offensive phrase. But "Holy Buckets" also sounds like a euphemism for some forbidden phrase. I have heard some oldtimers say "Goodness Gracious" when they hit their finger with a hammer, and make it clear that it was an inverted form of swearing.
So I guess your daughter might as well pick her own expletives.
Incidentally, I think the word "vain" as used above is related to the German word "wehen" meaning to swear.

#34518 07/03/01 09:16 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
When I first moved to the Cincinnati area I found the term "jeezle peats" to be fairly common. I find it annoying. That was in the fifth grade. I don't think it's quite as common now.

#34519 07/04/01 02:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I suppose it could be "Holey Buckets!" Carrying water in a bucket full of holes could be a frustrating experience.

consuelo

#34520 07/04/01 02:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This could be taken as a euphemism in its attempt to avoid taking the name of one's Lord in vain. What is it if you then proceed to infix some crass word such as Jeez o'flicking peas?

#34521 07/04/01 02:53 PM
addict
addict
A rather subdued, well-mannered and soft-spoken ex-flatmate of mine once surprised us all during some moment of minor household crisis by exclaiming in frustration something that we all heard as "Flipping heck!". When someone commented how unusual it was to hear such language from her, she did not think there was anything wrong with it. She said the only thing she found unusual about the expression was how anyone could be expected to "flip a neck"...

#34522 07/06/01 02:00 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I find it very interesting to note the migration of euphemisms, with the taboo subject taking up residence in a succession of words or phrases. A case in point is "God blind me" => "Gor Blimey" => "Blimey".

But for migration analagous to that of the Arctic Tern on has to consider our way of dealing, verbally, with the place for the disposal of our bodily wastes.
Even the Latin -"latrine" - refers (I think) to a washing or bathing place.
English monks in the Medieval period called it "the necessary" (and I wonder if this is the root of the Geordie {i.e. NE England} term "the Netty" for the same building?)

Certainly by the time of the Stuarts - and, I think much earlier - the term, "the privvy," (i.e. - a private place) had come into use - and continues to be used to this day, although decreasingly so, usually in reference to an earth- or pail-closet.
The invention of a system to carry excrementitious matter far away from its source by the use of water was called - reasonably enough - a "Water Closet," which very soon became "W/C". There was no great love of initialised abbreviation at that period, so the use of initials in this instance can only be for euphemistic reasons, I believe.

The Victorians found that term vulgar and started to use "lavatory," meaning washing-place - a reference, perhaps to the fact that the W/C was often to be found in the bathroom. "The Lav" became an acceptable euphemism for a long time, but in recent years has been altered even more obscurely into "the Loo." Only a very common person would refer to "the Lav," these days!

There is a whole raft of terms for such places that are provided for general, rather than family, use. "Public Convenience" is a favourite, although, again, "W/C" is also quite frequent, and also "Toilet" - especially in buildings that are frequented by the public, such as restaurants.

Of course, there are a whole range of other euphemisms to be found, which are either peculiar to a particular family, or are an attempt at whimsical humour by a business person. (E.g., "Guys" and "Dolls")

One wonders why it is deemed proper to be so coy about a totally natural and essential function of the body. It is, as I hope I have demonstrated above, not a modern bit of prudishness, no left-over from the Victorian era, but a very long standing need to hide this function.

Is it for the same reason that many animals dig holes to hide their excrement?

#34523 07/06/01 02:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:Is it for the same reason that many animals dig holes to hide their excrement?

From what i read, it more likely for preditors to bury their excrement than prey-- and this goes right down to incects. Large wolf spiders eat small wolf spiders.. and when small wolf spiders are exposed to the smell of excretia from large wolf spiders that have been eating smaller ones.. the smaller ones behave differently.. (than when exposed to the smell of large wolf spiders that have been eating other bugs.) they hid more..

what is taboo changes from culture to culture.. in the past-- "out house's" were sometime 2 or 3 seaters.. and there are public toilets in various places that offer less than 'western' privacy.. some rather "civilized" cultures have no problem with (men especially) urinating in public. In most of the US this would get you a citation for public indecency-- and maybe a second for urinating (pollution) in public.

I have been to bars (gay bars) were the stalls in the toilet had no doors-- and the facility was unisex-- (the idea was the guys weren't much interested in looking at the gals anyway...)

#34524 07/06/01 04:40 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"the privvy," (i.e. - a private place) had come into use - ....usually in reference to an earth- or pail-closet.

Privy, OED says, a private place ... in New England the outhouse was often called the privy ... there are still a few houses around with a privy/outhouse but mostly they're connected to hunting cabins in the woods where sewers not in place.
Up until the mid-1960s one could occasionally see a real estate ad for a house "with a path" available in a small town. The euphemism was used for a house with no indoor toilet, but a path that led from the back door to the privy/outhouse.

#34525 07/06/01 05:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"with a path"

Whew! Talk about your euphemisms. Sounds like a garden path.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith