Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#34486 07/04/01 04:26 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

" How many merkins does it take to replace a light-bulb?"

I have heard of blond pubic wigs, but never one sufficiently fluorescent to light up a room.

You mean that this is not another use for Christmas Tree lights?

Bingley

Bingley
#34487 07/04/01 09:12 AM
R
addict
addict
R
The fun with this sort of joke is to choose a profession or whatever and challenge someone to devise a new ( or appropriately recycled) joke.

Here's one I devised (the only one I can recall at present - the rest are at home):
How many double-glazing salesmen does it take to change a lightbulb?
Well, with the manager's special offer, the easy-pay rebate, and the introductory discount, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at the final figure.

Taking my life in my hands, as for all I know there may turn out to be as many double-glazing professionals on this board as there are Daves; double-glazing selling is a standard joke in UK for the persistent telephone calls, and the peculiar pricing strategies. What professions fill this role in your country?

Rod

#34488 07/04/01 02:12 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
double-glazing selling is a standard joke in UK for the persistent telephone calls, and the peculiar pricing strategies. What professions fill this role in your country?

Telemarketers are what we call them in US ... marketing a product by telephone calls.
Arrrgh! And they always used to call at dinnertime ... many states have passed laws forbidding the calls betweeen 6 and 8 p.m.
Evidently enough politicians were annoyed by the calls to take action!
The worst for me are the telemarketers trying to sell me an alternate telephone service! I tell them I have stock in AT&T and will stay with MaBell ... (actually it's just two shares but they don't know that!)
Next come the calls selling Vinyl house siding ... I say thanks but the area I live in has a covenant against using siding! That stops 'em in their tracks. (That it happens to be true is a bonus!)
In US you can tell telemarketers to take your name off the call list and also not to share with others ... they have to stop for a year! (or so I understand ... Sparteye or other lawyers aBoard have more info?)
Anyone care to share their "go away" answers to telemarketing calls?

#34489 07/04/01 02:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
merkins

blond pubic wigs

Need I remind you Dr. Bill, that English, like most (if not all) natural languages, is context sensitive?

Merkin and Proud of it on this Most Merkin of all Holidays!!!

DO NOT BE DISSUADED BY THE GIGGLES OF ENGLISH SCHOOL BOYS!!!

#34490 07/04/01 03:01 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Anyone care to share their "go away" answers to telemarketing calls?

In UK we have the Mailing Preference Service on which you can add your name and address and similar services for telephone and e-mail. Cold callers are supposed to check against the list, but can call if you forgot to check the box in the Arabic small print. It lasts for ever I believe, but I am not sure what the penalties are for breaking the rules.

In UK, we also call them telemarketeers (when feeling polite) but the only ones I seem to get by phone are double glazing. They seem to have stopped because I did add our number to the list. They also got fed up with me saying we were in a conservation zone (also true).
I find "No thanks" and putting the phone down works. "Don't call me, I'll call you", "Do you want to waste both our valuable time and have me say no at the end, or do you want to ring some more likely shot now?", "What a shame, I had them done last week", or my favourite "I'll hand you to the wife, she handles things like that!". She is so mad at me she takes it out on them.

Rod

#34491 07/04/01 04:33 PM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
many states have passed laws forbidding the calls betweeen 6 and 8 p.m.
In New York, we have a law that stops the companies from calling people who apply by a certain date each year.

#34492 07/04/01 05:42 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: the rappers and such scum who enjoy perverting things slyly, were probably responsible for inveigling unaware Americans into call themselves an obscenity. There are gutter musical groups and nightclubs so named. Back in Buzzard's Bay there was a nightclub called the Scatophagus Room. The Greek owner enjoyed calling his patrons in Greek what he would not dare call them in English. If you want to call yourself a merkin, go ahead. But I do not care to join you.

#34493 07/04/01 10:25 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
DO NOT BE DISSUADED BY THE GIGGLES OF ENGLISH SCHOOL BOYS!!!

Quite right. It is every Merkin's privilege to make a hairy prat of themselves at least once a year Happy Fourth, guys.

#34494 07/05/01 09:25 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
>Anyone care to share their "go away" answers to telemarketing calls?

I always liked the 'phone line is cracking up' ploy, or alternatively (if on a mobile phone) just walking down to the cellar.
Also, getting over friendly and asking them all the questions is great fun if you have a few spare minutes.

#34495 07/05/01 11:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
What professions fill this role in your country?

In this part of the US, at least, it'd be vinyl siding.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 747 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith