Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#34386 07/04/01 12:25 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I believe the different connotations and connections that different people have/make from the same
starting place are fascinating.

Me too. A game that I play sometimes at the Board , looking at a long thread without having looked at it before:
I read the last post, and then the first - usually it seems that there is no relationship.

#34387 07/04/01 12:48 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ha! Too true emanuela. You are right, this board is a perfect example.

#34388 07/04/01 01:32 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
But the switches in the thread usually lead to some more lively discussion, so I welcome them.

#34389 07/04/01 02:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I have something important to write or speak, I generally spend a few moments mulling over the salient points and then consign them all to the soup pot I keep simmering on the back of my mental woodstove, later to serve them up when needed. It works for me.

consuelo

#34390 07/04/01 02:50 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Bean, I'm guessing that most people have a certain degree of chain-of-association going at all times, and sometimes we make subjective connections which no one else could discern from the objective subjects. Usually, though, I don't mention the endpoints of the chain and don't articulate the associations, but just let the mental dialogue continue internally. It's hard though, because sometimes I lose track of what's occurring in the conversation I'm supposed to be in, and then I'm thought vague or absentminded. It's genius I tell you! Genius!

Like you, I have a tendency to recall songs associated -- by time, place, subject or some other factor -- with events and conversations then occurring. My stepmom used to be amazed (and a bit annoyed) at how I was always humming or singing a line from a song, in apparently random succession, because I was always being reminded of songs by the things she was saying. She's gotten used to it now ...

Having a conversation with my autistic son is especially challenging, since he lacks the vocabulary to articulate what he wishes to convey, and will attempt to communicate his thoughts with associations he has made which don't necessarily comport with associations anybody else would make. Sometimes, it's like playing Chinese charades (I speak no Chinese).

#34391 07/04/01 03:24 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
>>In my family, we are known for our strange "subject hops" mid-conversation ...We used to call it 'grasshopper logic'<<

We called it "leaps in logic" and then there were inside family references that - although seemingly unconnected to the subject at hand - were a perfect riposte in the conversation for family members ... . usually followed by laughter.
Then, there's good old Imagination and Oblique Thinking.

Years ago I heard a psychiatrist posit that there are two types of ways people coverse : those who finish each others' thoughts and people who never interupt. Makes for interesting times when the polar opposites meet!The MD called for a recognition of the differences to avoid misunderstanding the behavior.

In earlier post here I mentioned being "in the zone" sometimes when writing ... say I'm writing a scene in a narrative ... it's like a movie running in my head and I have to get it down fast. I can see the people, hear the vocal intonations, see the room, and what everyone's wearing, what they're doing while talking and at same time my brain is choosing the words to convey what I'm "seeing and hearing" even though I am really making it all up!
Other times the scenes come hard and they're the ones that require many rewrites to get the same flow.
Hard to explain.
My book is now hundreds of pages long...maybe someday it will be finished ... I can hardly wait to see how it turns out!

#34392 07/04/01 03:31 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
To me too this seems absolutely normal! We used to call it 'grasshopper logic'.

I concluded long ago that the people on the Board are very non-average. However, the "average" person listening to our family's conversation does indeed get confused. I think it's because we are perfectly comfortable saying the off-topic thing which we are thinking, and letting the conversation continue in that direction if it wishes, whereas most people may have those trains of thought but don't say them out loud. In fact, we often let the second thread continue and have two conversations at once, which is a bit tricky with only two people!

#34393 07/04/01 03:35 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
My stepmom used to be amazed (and a bit annoyed) at how I was always humming or singing a line from a song, in apparently random succession, because I was always being reminded of songs by the things she was saying. She's gotten used to it now ...

I think I got the tendency to sing through my days from my mom. She knows the first line (only) of "every song ever written" and I have picked these up from her. I think my husband was also somewhat frustrated with my tendency to sing little snippets of songs all the time, often inventing lyrics to fill in what I didn't know, but he's now accustomed to it. (I keep telling him - if he wanted a normal wife, I was the wrong choice - and he knew what he was getting himself into! )

#34394 07/04/01 04:00 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Bean, tell him that it is a good thing to have a soundtrack to your life. And think of the money you can make selling the album.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
On a recent radio broadcast I came across some quotations that might be of some general interest to fellow logalugs - skip this if you like things short'n'sweet, honey.

Transcribed from:
Life As An Infant
Broadcast on BBC Radio 4, Tuesday 26th June 2001

Ms Alex Karmelov-Smith, head of Neuro-cognitive Development Unit at the Institute of Child Health in London:

“In the last 3 months of pregnancy babies are actively processing sound, and amongst the sounds they process are mother’s language – and the language she hears through the amniotic liquid, the baby will hear these. So the babies are born able to distinguish their mother tongue from language sin other language families, so they’ll suck harder on a dummy to hear their mother tongue than say another language. They recognise their mother’s voice at birth (and remember, once the baby is outside the womb the voice is very different to the way it was filtered through the amniotic liquid) so the baby has actually registered something about the abstract qualities of her voice, to recognise them against other females’ at birth. They also pay a great deal of attention to language, and this could be a great deal to do with what they have experienced in the womb, but also the fact that we interact with babies linguistically from the moment they’re born!

“Early on the baby is picking up on sound patterns, and we know from tests that babies can discriminate between syllables (bah from pah, for instance) very early on (6 months). We also know (and this is an interesting fact) that they watch the mouth while people are speaking….” (demonstrated by orientation towards a screen matching the sound being played from choice of 2 screens)

“Babies of about 17 months know about English word order… before they are producing language themselves… and what you see developing in their production is first words, then putting two words together ( “mummy go!” )… and then gradually they build up strings of three and four words… and the grammar of English builds up gradually.”

James Law, Professor of Language & Communication Science at the City University, London:

“The most important thing a parent can do [to encourage a child’s language development] is to listen to them! Language is essentially a social activity… [children] will not learn language by being stuck in front of the telly!”

Alison Gopnik, Professor of Psychology University of California, Berkeley (also author of ‘How Babies Think’):

“When babies are born they are already making distinctions between all the sounds that are going to be important for all the languages of the world.”

“One of the things that you see with babies from the time that they’re about a month old is that they do something that can best be described as flirting. They don’t actually talk yet, but… it seems as if the babies are already turn-taking, they already have an idea of the structure of conversation, before they have any words. It’s like the aspect of conversation, which isn’t really about ‘I want to tell you what my plans for the day are’ but which is really about ‘I am a person and you’re a person and we are in touch with one another’, that part seems to be what babies learn first, before they have the part about ‘here’s something specific that I want to say, to inform you about what’s going on in the world.’”

“Children seem to be looking for patterns and regularities in the sounds they hear around them from a very early age… actively trying to figure out how they work… picking up ‘that’s what the rule is!’ , sometimes over-applying it.”

Laura-Anne Petito, research scientist at Montreal Neurological Institute:

“We have known for, like, 100 years that the left hemisphere of the brain is primarily engaged in language processing. We also know that very specific parts of grammar is processed in very specific tissue… in this are right near the ear on the left-hand side of the head.”

“By 12 months a child is combining sounds (‘gaba-ba-da-ga’) and… creating a temporal frame [which] is what human words get slotted into… Deaf children exposed to sign language, much to our surprise, also produced a highly selective set of hand movements, and these movements were combined in rhythmic moving and holding (move-hold, move-hold, just like alternating consonant-vowel, consonant-vowel) alternating patterns. Also like a hearing child, they produced these forms and they were entirely meaningless – so they didn’t want anything, it was just kind of the sound play you see in a baby, called crib-speech, it was the hand-play that was ultimately going to be used to construct all the signs in their language. That was what was so exciting… because at 6 months they went through the same developmental stages… jargoning. At 12 months, the deaf child expanded their manual babbling into the whole sentence of a signed language in the same way… jargon sign… controlled by the same brain tissue that controlled speech [in the vocalizing children]. The brain is highly flexible and is sensitive to particular types of patterns, but can grab every morsel of the body that you give it… it will take the hands if given the hands, the tongue if given the tongue [in order to output these patterns]…”

Hope I got the names about right - haven't checked yet [mumble-mumble]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith