About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Something caught my eye while reading an article on wildlife conservation yesterday that never struck me before, probably because I haven't seen these words in such close proximity. But here we have does the verb and does the noun, the plural of female deer...does and does...two words with identical spelling, different pronunciation (which disqualifies them as homonyms), and, of course, meanings that are light years apart. Is there a --nym for this one? If not should we create one? How 'bout it, tsuwm...do you have something on this? (Or could this be some obvious nomenclature I'm forgetting?)

On the lighter side this also brought to mind doughs, doze, does, and 'dose!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i dunno about a "-nym" word, but how about homographs?

here a link: http://einstein.et.tudelft.nl/~arlet/puzzles/sol.cgi/language/english/pronunciation/homograph/homographs

some examples:

content
desert
consummate

uhoh... did that link make the screen go W-I-D-E???

sincere apologies...

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks for the link, caradea! And welcome to the board!

Evidently does seems to be one of the more compound homographs...the site gives a great example,
does the buck see the does?

It also gives an example of homographs where the capitalization differs...august and August, and calls these capitonyms. There's a -nym I never heard before!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, I don't know that I agree entirely with this. my understanding of homograph is: a word of the same spelling as another, but of different origin and meaning; e.g., base and base, bore and bore, cleave and cleave.

wheras a heteronym is a homograph having the same spelling as another, but a different *sound and meaning; e.g., does and does, bass and bass, etc.

#34305 06/30/01 11:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, tsuwm...now I can add hetero-- to my --nym list!

And, realizing in retrospect that this is probably a big YART to the Long-Time Legends of the board (sorry, I was too hot. tired, and lazy to do a search that night), I thought, perhaps, we could turn this into a New --Nym thread to list new, strange, and interesting Wordonyms.
For instance, so far on this thread I've added capitonym and heteronym to my own --nymlist.
Precluding the common and obvious such as synonym, homonym, antonym, tswumnym, Jackienym, etc. , and making allowance for --nym derivatives such as homograph, how many strange Wordonyms are out there?

capitonym, heteronym......and they're off!

#34306 06/30/01 12:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
how many strange Wordonyms are out there?

capitonym, heteronym......and they're off!

Psst--Honey, could you switch this to Wordplay and Fun? I know I've violated Aunt Mav's suggested rule of keeping Q & A serious, myself, but I do want to let him know I remember it. This DOES sound like a lot of fun!

The rule-o-nym queen (alternate identity when I'm not the Gutter Queen--hi belM),

Jacque-nym

#34307 06/30/01 02:34 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The wide posts have happened before ... and if memory serves it happens when a poster composes in another place and pastes into the regular AWAD reply box ... or something like that.
I can't read the wide posts very well as I get dizzy(ier) with all that swooshing back and forth.
And I hate to miss the fun.
Sometimes it goes back to normal width on second page or the poster corrects it and all posts follow suit. There's another one - suit!
(whirling off to another thread)

#34308 06/30/01 10:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Please see New --Nyms on Wordplay and Fun for the continuation-nym of this thread!

R
R
does the buck see the does?

Alternatively, one could ask, in reference to a herd of deer trying to swim across a turbulent bay:

Does the sea buck the does?

But then that would be fun, so I couldn't possibly post it in this part of the Board without being apprehended by the gutternymfora police.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
homophone: same sound different spelling e.g. seen scene
homograph: different sound same spelling e.g. lead (Pb) lead (opposite of follow)
homonym: same sound same spelling e.g. bear (carry) bear (Bruin)

Row (line) is a homophone of roe, a homograph of row (quarrel), and a homonym of row (propel a boat with an oar).

Two more nym words: pseudonym and toponym

Bingley

Bingley
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith