Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I'm starting a new thread with this post because it's just too intriguing to leave buried at the end of an older run. It's a multi-faceted story, really...it has romance, intrigue, science, the speculative, and historical elements. When I came across this on a History Channel presentation this past winter, I was amazed I had never heard the story or the gentleman's name before! So here it is for your entertaining perusal and speculation (from the now-infamous "Do You Know This Word?" thread):

For skeptic and believer alike! Here's a truly mesmerizing story of a diminutive Latvian immigrant,
Edward Leedskalnin, who constructed a castle and monuments to his unrequited love in Florida.
Leedskalnin was only 5'1" and 100 lbs., had only a fourth grade education, and yet managed to
move blocks of stone that weighed twice as much as the largest pyramid construction blocks ALONE!
When asked how he could do such a thing he replied, simply, that he knew the laws of leverage that
the ancient Egyptians knew. I'm not sure what to make of it. But, however he did it, it stands as a
truly remarkable feat! He took the engineering secrets to the grave with him, but Coral Castle still
stands in Florida today and has been restored as a National Historic Landmark. Here's the URL's for perusal:

http://www.cosmiverse.com/paranormal062101.html

http://www.coralcastle.com/ (for great pictures...and don't miss the Nine Ton Gate thumbnail!)

I'd love to hear some reactions on this! Enjoy!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Fascinating. Thanks for the pictures link... saves me a trip to Florida!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh, he probably just used coral slurry, and all the rest (block, tackle, etc.) was a feint.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#33496 06/26/01 10:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Coral Slurry

Mmmm...sounds like it should be one of those exotic (and potent) tropical drinks...or maybe an upscale ice cream flavor! Work out a recipe, tsuwm, and get it to Ben + Jerry's...you'll be rich!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,364
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,558
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith